1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:141 edit
    This thread is not about Christian doctrine regarding supernatural torture.

Torture in all forms was banned by the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

According to whatever religious/philosophical/moral ideology you have, what is your stance with regard to torture?
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:17
    @fmf said

Torture in all forms was banned by the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

According to whatever religious/philosophical/moral ideology you have, what is your stance with regard to torture?
    Define torture.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:18
    @fmf said

I was once accused by a member of this site of doing "actual torture" to people in these forums.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:19
    @secondson said
    Define torture.
    Burning someone while using supernatural powers to keep them alive indefinitely so that the agony can be prolonged is a pretty good example.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:20
    @secondson said
    Define torture.
    The 1987 United Nations Convention against Torture says this:

"For the purpose of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in, or incidental to, lawful sanctions."

I'll post some other definitions when I have some time.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:22
    @divegeester said
    Burning someone while using supernatural powers to keep them alive indefinitely so that the agony can be prolonged is a pretty good example.
    No. No. No. That is a version of "torture" that not everyone here even thinks exists. Let's talk - on this thread - only about the version of "torture" here on earth that everyone knows exists.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:26
    @divegeester said
    I was once accused by a member of this site of doing "actual torture" to people in these forums.
    What was the nature of the torture you were allegedly accused of doing? Was it psychological, emotional or mental?

Or is it just the way you frame your arguments and ignore the substance and inferences made by your detractors that tortures them?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:29
    @secondson said
    Or is it just the way you frame your arguments and ignore the substance and inferences made by your detractors that tortures them?
    For the purposes of this thread, let's not use a definition of "torture" that encompasses 'the way someone frames arguments and ignores the substance and inferences made by detractors'. Please.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:29
    @divegeester said
    I once heard you say you'd have a few words with God if He were to punish His enemies for eternity.

No you won't.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:31
    @secondson said
    What was the nature of the torture you were allegedly accused of doing? Was it psychological, emotional or mental?

"Psychological" and "emotional" are both aspects of the "mental".

Anyway I'm afraid I don't know as the person in question was another "blurter". I remember toying them about it for a bit until I got bored.

That's all I can remember. Hope it helps though.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:32
    @secondson said
    I once heard you say you'd have a few words with God if He were to punish His enemies for eternity.

No you won't.
    Fascinating. What else can you remember?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:36
    @secondson said
    Define torture.
    Amnesty International's simple definition since 1973 has been as follows.

Torture is the systematic and deliberate infliction of acute pain by one person on another, or on a third person, in order to accomplish the purpose of the former against the will of the latter.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:04
    @divegeester said
    Fascinating. What else can you remember?
    Most everything.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:08
    @fmf said
    Amnesty International's simple definition since 1973 has been as follows.

Torture is the systematic and deliberate infliction of acute pain by one person on another, or on a third person, in order to accomplish the purpose of the former against the will of the latter.
    God forbid one of your children was kidnapped. What wouldn't you do to someone you knew had information that would bring your child safely home?
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:18
    @fmf said
    For the purposes of this thread, let's not use a definition of "torture" that encompasses 'the way someone frames arguments and ignores the substance and inferences made by detractors'. Please.
    No.

I wasn't talking to you anyway, and I'll post as I please.

You're not in control. After all, you're merely a randomly existing biological creature and a product of millions of years of evolution coupled with environmental indoctrination. You have no free will, so stop trying to exert it here.

Enjoy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree