1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 07:56
    The ark of the covenant. The Holy Grail. The staff of Moses. The robe of Christ. The original Quran. Noah's ark.

People have been digging for this stuff for a long time, have they not? I often wonder why. From an archaeological standpoint, they're no doubt valuable, but please consider this:

If one needs these things to justify their faith...then how strong is one's faith??
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 08:43
    @mchill said
    If one needs these things to justify their faith...then how strong is one's faith?
    Are you talking about some subset of believers you perceive who you think would have less strong faith without "relics"? Can you point to any online resources created by, or about, such groups?

Personally, I think most people who are interested in things like "relics" tend to be drawn to them because of strong faith rather than to strengthen their faith.

But you seem to have identified a subset that's totally different. Have you seen any testimonies by such people?
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 15:16
    @fmf said
    Are you talking about some subset of believers you perceive who you think would have less strong faith without "relics"? Can you point to any online resources created by, or about, such groups?

Personally, I think most people who are interested in things like "relics" tend to be drawn to them because of strong faith rather than to strengthen their faith.

But you seem to have identified a subset that's totally different. Have you seen any testimonies by such people?

Personally, I think these relics are quite interesting from an archaeological and historical standpoint, but if people need to dig them up or seek them in order to justify their faith, then they don't have much to begin with. A famous martial artist once said: "It is like a finger pointing toward the heavens...DON'T concentrate on the finger, or you'll miss all that heavenly glory"
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 15:54
    @mchill said
    if people need to dig them up or seek them in order to justify their faith, then they don't have much to begin with.
    Which people are you talking about? Do you have any links to people testifying about justifying or strengthening their weak faith using "relics"?
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 20:50
    @fmf said
    Which people are you talking about? Do you have any links to people testifying about justifying or strengthening their weak faith using "relics"?
    Do you have any links to people testifying about justifying or strengthening their weak faith using "relics"?

You're missing the point here. No one is going to "testify" they need a relic to strengthen there weak faith. Many Jews, Christians, and Muslims do however take a keen interest these artifacts, as justification for their beliefs, and would like very much that they be found.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 22:50
    @mchill said
    Do you have any links to people testifying about justifying or strengthening their weak faith using "relics"?

You're missing the point here. No one is going to "testify" they need a relic to strengthen there weak faith. Many Jews, Christians, and Muslims do however take a keen interest these artifacts, as justification for their beliefs, and would like very much that they be found.
    I would agree that if there is some strong desire to find ancient artifacts which will prove or justify their belief then that persons faith is weak. However that kind of weak faith is not a sin or something one needs to worry about.. Thomas needed visual proof that Jesus actually rose from the dead and Jesus did not condemn him.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '20 00:12
    @mchill said
    You're missing the point here.

To be honest, I think I do get your "point". Your point appears to be 'Interest in relics is a sign of weak faith because weak faith is indicated by an interest in relics'.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '20 00:161 edit
    @mchill said
    Many Jews, Christians, and Muslims do however take a keen interest these artifacts, as justification for their beliefs, and would like very much that they be found.
    So if archaeological evidence [for example] corroborates narratives found in religious scriptures, how can having an interest in this be characterized as an indication of weak faith? What is it you have seen these people say that substantiates this assertion on your part?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '20 18:38
    @mchill said
    The ark of the covenant. The Holy Grail. The staff of Moses. The robe of Christ. The original Quran. Noah's ark.

People have been digging for this stuff for a long time, have they not? I often wonder why. From an archaeological standpoint, they're no doubt valuable, but please consider this:

If one needs these things to justify their faith...then how strong is one's faith??
    Did Indiana Jones seek relics to bolster his "weak faith"? Did his father? Jones said many times in his sagas that these things "belong in a museum". Still others (notably the RCC) were motivated by greed and/or a desire to use them to control others. Whose "weak faith" are these relics really justifying?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '20 19:561 edit
    @mchill said

Are these unassigned, uncorroborated, unidentified “people” who are “digging for this stuff” the same “people” who “need to justify their faith”?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree