1. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 19:221 edit
    assuming there is a priority ( i think there is or other "having no other god before me" would not have been number one.

so, if a man has a slave for a wife ( as did abraham ) which commandment overules which....do not covet the property of another ( a slave ) and do not covet another wife ?

which is the worst sin ?, if at all ?
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 20:19
    @mister-moggy said
    assuming there is a priority ( i think there is or other "having no other god before me" would not have been number one.

so, if a man has a slave for a wife ( as did abraham ) which commandment overules which....do not covet the property of another ( a slave ) and do not covet another wife ?

#1. What do you think " have no other God before me" means?

#2. Moses' wife was not a slave.

#3. Just how much misinformation are you full of?
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 21:25
    @secondson said
    #1. What do you think " have no other God before me" means?

#2. Moses' wife was not a slave.

#3. Just how much misinformation are you full of?
    In his defense sir, he said Abraham, not Moses.
  4. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:012 edits
    @SecondSon

read the post sir. i wrote abraham.

i believe he had a slave wife.

but then, i am not a bible scholar.

just a kid who was beaten with a brush when at bedtime i was asked to pray to a picture on the wall and when i did not do it right i was struck.

sorry ( i am not the christian you are ).

edit: i looked it up on the wiki.

i seemed to remember the word "hagar".

( you see, a beating does sometimes beat it into you ).

"Hagar is a biblical person in the Book of Genesis. She was an Egyptian slave/handmaid of Sarai, who gave her to Abraham to bear a child. The product of the union was Abraham's firstborn, Ishmael, the progenitor of the Ishmaelites.''

AND IF I RECALL MY HISTORY.. THE ISMAELITES ARE THE PEOPLE WHO HISTORY NOW KNOWS AS THE PALESTINIANS.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 23:15
    @mister-moggy said

I'll attempt to answer your question; there are commandments that have to do with God and us, these are the types of commands that go from us up to God are the more important. They deal with our relationship with our creator, those that deal with each other get their importance because God is our creator, so to touch another's life or property is touching part of God's creation. The commandments protect anything that belongs to another person; it doesn't matter if it is a wife, slave, horse, donkey, fingernail clippers, or apples on their property.

Abraham was before the 10 commandments, you have to wait till Moses till they come into play.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 23:37
    @mister-moggy said
    sorry ( i am not the christian you are )..
    I am not a Christian either. The commandments which are irrelevant to me ~ but no doubt important to religionists, for understandable reasons ~ would be:

“I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any strange gods before Me.”

“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

“Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.”

Then we have the following...

“Honor thy father and mother.” This, under normal circumstances, is reasonable especially when one is a minor, but after that one should play it by ear.

“Thou shalt not kill.” This is common sense although I think killing in self-defence can be justified. The gut instinct in me that says that this rule is right is the reason I oppose the death penalty.

“Thou shalt not steal.” This is common sense. But 'Feed a starving child etc. etc.' Discuss.

“Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.” This means 'don't lie' I think, so this is a central plank in my moral outlook, although I believe speaking untruths in certain scenarios is of course justified.

“Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife.” I am not interested in the governing of 'thoughtcrimes' b["covet"?], but I believe adultery is wrong in so far as it causes damage, breaks promises, and involves deceit.

“Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s goods.” This is common sense in so far as it overlaps with Thou shalt not steal.” Feelings of envy, greed, and jealousy regarding what other people have are neither here nor there as long as they don't result in immoral actions.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 23:50
    @mister-moggy said

The relevant passage is:
    16 Now Sarai Abram’s wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar. 2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

Genesis 16:1-2 AKJV
    So she is Sarai's handmaiden and not Abram's wife. I think the technical term is concubine.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 00:20
    @mister-moggy said

In the narrative in Exodus, before they depart Egypt, God sends ten plagues. They more or less increase in severity. The plagues were, in the order they happened: Blood, Frogs, Lice, Flies, Pestilence of livestock, Boils, Hailstorm, Locusts, Darkness, Death of Firstborn. The first eight are all pretty similar severity wise, the second last is scary rather than severe, but might be considered worse, and the final one clearly more severe than the rest. I think that the order of importance of the commandments is in reverse order to the plagues. "I am the Lord thy God and thou shalt have no other Gods before me." is the most important (c.f. Molech), the prohibition against idolatry is the second most important (note this corresponds with 3 days of darkness). The others are treated more or less equally, but the order is important.

The least important is the one about "Thou shalt not covet" - it's not so much the coveting, as that it risks one of the other commandments being broken.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 01:08
    @mister-moggy said

1. Thou shalt not kill (murder)
    2. Thou shalt not bear false witness
    3. Thou shalt not steal
    4. Thou shalt not commit adultery

...seem like the most important.

Honor parents if they deserve it. If you find yourself coveting the neighbor's stuff, try not to fixate on it. Take a day off work each week to relax.

No need to worry about gods or graven images or taking God's name in vain (unless you believe in him, then you probably shouldn't).
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 04:051 edit
    Two that are missing are...

A commandment that might have reduced or inhibited domestic violence, marital rape and abuse of children... or a broader catch-all one about assault, battery, coercion, violence etc.

A commandment that prohibited the owning of human beings as chattel

These "divine" prohibitions may have had a positive effect on the behaviour of the followers of Abrahamic religions over the last few thousand years

But the men who conceived of and wrote down "the commandments", in the belief that they were the wishes of a creator being, obviously did not think of and/or want such restrictions.
  11. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 04:24
    I know that the OP is referring to a select 10, but the question is similar to one that was reportedly posed to Jesus...

Matthew 22:36-40...

Love God (1)

Love your neighbor (3)

Love yourself (2)

According to Jesus, if you’re doing those three, you pretty much have the rest covered...

I find it fascinating that so many world religions incorporate these three in the essence of their doctrines (i.e. the “Golden Rule” in some form or another).
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 04:32
    @hakima said
    I find it fascinating that so many world religions incorporate these three in the essence of their doctrines (i.e. the “Golden Rule” in some form or another).
    I think the "Golden Rule" type stuff evolved as humans evolved and then religions emerged and codified it in various ways according to culture and geography.
  13. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 05:28
    @fmf said
    I think the "Golden Rule" type stuff evolved as humans evolved and then religions emerged and codified it in various ways according to culture and geography.
    That makes a lot of sense. There is thought among proponents of social evolution that living cooperatively is a means of survival, for individuals as well as entire social structures, which includes instituted religions.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 10:15
    @hakima said
    That makes a lot of sense. There is thought among proponents of social evolution that living cooperatively is a means of survival, for individuals as well as entire social structures, which includes instituted religions.
    Laws will never change a heart, just constrain behavior, and only that if the people with the laws obey them and are not lawless. Living cooperatively can be done doing many things that have nothing do with taking care for all others, gangs cooperate while getting over on those they prey on.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 11:18
    @kellyjay said
    Laws will never change a heart, just constrain behavior, and only that if the people with the laws obey them and are not lawless. Living cooperatively can be done doing many things that have nothing do with taking care for all others, gangs cooperate while getting over on those they prey on.
    Yep. Some people act in a morally sound way. And some people don't. Bears poo in the woods. The pope is a Catholic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree