The Power of Prayer

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 17 Jan '22 04:14
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 04:14
    I believe in the power of prayer.

If you do also, how often do you pray? Daily?

Do you follow the same set pattern for your prayers or is each one different?

How much of your prayer is devoted to thanking God for what He has done for you?

“Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.”

(Psalm 68:19)

Has God answered your prayers?
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 04:22
    Zala Zalah!
  3. Joined
    16 Apr '20
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 04:271 edit
    @PB1022
    I prayed and prayed that my ex-wife would die, and then she finally did. Never underestimate the power of prayer 🙏

Now all of my prayers focus on what God has done for me.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 05:222 edits
    After all the initial lampoons and "See how corrupt I am everybody?" posts get through then maybe can discuss it more.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 05:23
    Prayer to me should be like breathing, You do it even unconsciously and quite alot, like unceasingly for continuous fellowship with God.

"Always rejoice,
    Unceasingly pray,
    In everything give thatks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
    Do not quench the Spirit." (1 Thess. 5:16-19)

Then of course there is specific petition for practical matters you ask God to tend to.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 06:23
    Chang Chang Biyango Matey, Ajra Jalah!
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 06:331 edit
    A difficult and maybe disturbing and humbling consideration regarding the power of prayer is that we might be the best at it so far, at least of the self-involved people of Earth.

Pray well, or don't pray at all.

Edit: the dolphins are probably laughing at us.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 09:30
    @pb1022 said
    I believe praying can exert a kind of power over the mind of the person doing the praying.
  9. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 01:172 edits
    True story. I went to get my hair cut (not a problem these days because I don't have any), and decided on this particular barbers in Northamptonshire becasue it was cheap, and run by a born again Christian (allegedly) who we shall call Dave, who later becaame known as "the demon barber". The only thing was, Dave would speak in tongues (and he really went for it at times), had reputedly caused things to fly acrosss the room, and when you looked at him had hair growing on his face almost up to his eyballs. Futher more if you looked into his eyes (we don't do that sort of thing in Northamptonshire, not us blokes) it was like he had his eyes, and another set of eyes hidden behind them. So nothing strange there. Oh yes, and the ladies in te adjacent shop were petrified of him.

So we got into this debate (don't aks me it was nearly 40 years ago) which he initiated and we were counter claiming scriptures at which point i saw his "Good News Bible" and invited him to check it out my point, which his translation supported but in a surprisngly strong way , which had the rest of the waiting customers tittering; this didn't go down well.

So I was last in the queue with one behind me (two of us in the barbers), and Dave asked me if i knew what being "slayed of the spirit" was, and kindly explained that he was going to use this power to reduce me to a quivering mess on the shop floor. All this while he was waving a pair of scissors around and clearly less than happy. So in and inpsiration I asked hime if he would be prepared to cut my hair first, which he agreed to. So while I was getting chopped I said the fastest and probably most sincere prayer to that day, as I wasn't feeling confident and Dave looked like he was limbering up, with all this weird stuff in strange languages spewing from his mouth, his face contorting; we are bordering on unnerving, and he still has these flipping scissors.

Now I must explain that you couldnt see out of the shop from our vantage point; it was a solid wall, and you would have to cosiderably turn your head to notice anyone approaching. Well Dave suddenly looking at the solid wall (never moved his head) suddenly announced that there was somebody about to walk into the shop and they he could no longer zap me. About three minutes later somebody did walk into the shop, and I remained on my own two feet. I paid the agreed fee, thanked God outside, and never returned.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 01:26
    @medullah said
    True story. I went to get my hair cut (not a problem these days because I don't have any), and decided on this particular barbers in Northamptonshire becasue it was cheap, and run by a born again Christian (allegedly) who we shall call Dave, who later becaame known as "the demon barber". The only thing was, Dave would speak in tongues (and he really went for it at times), ha ...[text shortened]... and I remained on my own two feet. I paid the agreed fee, thanked God outside, and never returned.
    That’s an incredible story.

Surprised that guy stayed in business at all.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 11:57
    @pb1022 said

If you do also, how often do you pray? Daily?

Do you follow the same set pattern for your prayers or is each one different?

How much of your prayer is devoted to thanking God for what He has done for you?

“Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.”

(Psalm 68:19)

Has God answered your prayers?
    "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." -- Matthew 6:5-6, KJV
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 12:15
    @suzianne said
    "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." -- Matthew 6:5-6, KJV
    Do you think that Scripture applies to talking about prayer as well?
  13. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 16:09
    @pb1022 said
    That’s an incredible story.

Surprised that guy stayed in business at all.
    He didn't for much longer after that.

Glad you enjoyed 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree