15 Aug '19 00:22
    "Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

~ Emma Lazarus

To your way of thinking, what spiritual / religious / philosophical principles underpin this poem's association with how the U.S.A. perceives itself?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 03:29
    @fmf said

"Keep, ancient ...[text shortened]... us / philosophical principles underpin this poem's association with how the U.S.A. perceives itself?
    It is consistent with the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.

However, it certainly isn't how Trump's U.S.A. perceives itself. Perversely to a large extent Trump's U.S.A is Christian.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 08:55
    @fmf said

"Keep, ancient ...[text shortened]... us / philosophical principles underpin this poem's association with how the U.S.A. perceives itself?
    I don’t think that America, it’s leaders or it’s people are in any way underpinned by the words and sentiment in that poem.

I also find it amusing that this supposedly “Christian” country is represented at its most prominent shore by a giant statue of a Roman goddess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 08:57
    @thinkofone said
    Responding directly to what you have written here; when Jesus was not walking the earth he claimed to be with God, was he correct?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 09:03
    @thinkofone said

However, it certainly isn't how Trump's U.S.A. perceives itself. Perversely to a large extent Trump's U.S.A is Christian.
    Trump's USA is NOT Christian.

Trump's USA likes to call itself Christian.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 09:08
    @suzianne said

Isn't this just a case of 'No True Scotsman' writ large?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 09:14
    Is there some Biblical basis for Ken Cuccinelli's "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge"?

I remember a debate about it here a few years ago with maybe Eladar and whodey arguing a 'conservative' Christian position regarding welfare and personal responsibility... but using the Bible to do so. What was that about?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 09:28
    @fmf said
    Is there some Biblical basis for Ken Cuccinelli's "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge"?
    No there isn’t.

However America is not a “Christian” country and never has been. It is debatable as to what a “Christian country” actually is, as I don’t believe there has been one in the history of the years since Christ’s ministry “while he walked the earth”.

I’m a Christian, my position on this topic is totally secular and no secret that I’m a supporter of having tight border controls and a robust but fair immigration policy.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 14:29
    @wittywonka profile
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 20:26
    @fmf said
    Isn't this just a case of 'No True Scotsman' writ large?
    Of course it is. That doesn't make it not true.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 20:34
    @fmf said

I remember a debate about it here a few years ago with maybe Eladar and whodey arguing a 'conservative' Christian position regarding welfare and personal responsibility... but using the Bible to do so. What was that about?
    Jesus did not say "Love thy neighbor only if he can help himself, because then you are absolved from actually loving him enough to actually help him."

The Samaritan helped the man who could not help himself. The story would have a different angle if he had said, no, I should rather help this other guy who doesn't need my help, so I can reduce how much I must give of my own pocket.

Eladar and whodey are not loving their neighbor as they love themselves. They love their own money and possessions far more than they love their neighbor. They have failed the lesson.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 01:25
    @suzianne said
    Eladar and whodey are not loving their neighbor as they love themselves. They love their own money and possessions far more than they love their neighbor. They have failed the lesson.
    Can you remember the Bibles verses Eladar used to make his similar-to-Ken-Cuccinelli case?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 02:462 edits
    @suzianne said

In your eyes, what are the requirements for being a true Christian?
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 02:48
    @suzianne said
    Jesus did not say "Love thy neighbor only if he can help himself, because then you are absolved from actually loving him enough to actually help him."

The Samaritan helped the man who could not help himself. The story would have a different angle if he had said, no, I should rather help this other guy who doesn't need my help, so I can reduce how much I must give of my o ...[text shortened]... heir own money and possessions far more than they love their neighbor. They have failed the lesson.

Does this mean the you believe that one has to "earn" ones salvation? "Earn" eternal life?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 05:04
    @thinkofone said
    In your eyes, what are the requirements for being a true Christian?
    The only “requirement” is that Christ died and rose again. In the former we have atonement and in the latter we have life. Everything else is superfluous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree