1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 20:20
    @whodey said
    But it is an Islamic country, no?
    The most populous Muslim country in the world.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 20:35
    @moonbus said
    The most populous Muslim country in the world.
    Why on earth would they then question the morality of their supreme leader Mo by suggesting that marriage at the age of 6 is not moral?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 20:47
    @whodey said
    Why on earth would they then question the morality of their supreme leader Mo by suggesting that marriage at the age of 6 is not moral?
    "Supreme leader?"

Indonesia is a constitutional republic. It has an elected president as its head of state. Laws are propsed and enacted by an elected national assembly.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 21:281 edit
    @fmf said
    "Supreme leader?"

Indonesia is a constitutional republic. It has an elected president as its head of state. Laws are propsed and enacted by an elected national assembly.
    All of Mohammads thoughts and actions are seen as perfect by Muslims.

Isn't this correct?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 21:31
    @whodey said

Isn't this correct?
    I don't think so, no.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 21:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '19 21:34
    @whodey said
    Mohammad married a girl at age 6.

Is this a repudiation of the prophet?
    Do you think the law they have passed is a wise one? Do you think it should be 19 years of age in your country too?
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 00:44
    @whodey said

Isn't this correct?
    Yes , in the Quran , it is stated that Mohammad is the perfect man .
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 00:53
    @caissad4 said
    Yes , in the Quran , it is stated that Mohammad is the perfect man .
    I don't think it has much currency in the everyday lives of the Muslims I live among. It is God they worship and not prophets. Christians also look to the Bible and claim that Jesus was a "perfect man" because it says so and because they believe he is depicted as such.
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 00:59
    @fmf said
    I don't think it has much currency in the everyday lives of the Muslims I live among. It is God they worship and not prophets. Christians also look to the Bible and claim that Jesus was a "perfect man" because it says so and because they believe he is depicted as such.
    Does Indonesia have criminal laws concerning apostasy , insulting the prophet , proselytizing other religions ?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 01:161 edit
    @caissad4 said
    Does Indonesia have criminal laws concerning apostasy , insulting the prophet , proselytizing other religions ?
    Yes, it does have laws about blasphemy and proselytizing which, I suppose, are seen partly as public order issues. There's plenty of ostentatious and manufactured outrage here in the post-Suharto and social media-fuelled environment. The Christian Governor of Jakarta spent two years in prison recently for [perceived] blasphemy. In fact, his biggest "crimes" may have been his Chinese ethnicity and his success.

On the other hand, after public intellectuals and religious leaders supporting the instituting of an Islamic State after the eventual overthrow of the Dutch lost the debate to Nationalists in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s, it resulted in the 1945 Constitution which establishes a "theist" but secular state [as it were] and guarantees "religious freedom" [to a degree] by listing the religions officially recognized and protected by the state.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 02:232 edits
    @fmf said
    I don't think so, no.
    You don't think so?

So you don't know?

I've never met a Muslim who ever suggested that Mohammad was in error in any way.

Why not ask some of your Muslim peeps?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 02:302 edits
    @fmf said
    But from what I have gathered, Muslims believe that the prophets of the Bible were essentially perfect as well. Mohammad taught that the Bible had been "corrupted" as the corrupters talked smack about Patriarchs like Moses by suggesting that he sinned and was flawed as the Bible suggests.

This particular issue is key regarding the theology of Christianity verses Islam. Christianity teaches that all men are flawed as the Bible show us how the best of the best were flawed, including King David who committed adultery and murdered her husband. But, of course, Jesus was the only perfect person in the Bible, and only because hew as God in the flesh and that is the only reason he was perfect.

And this is key to how we view people today. Can the religious leaders in Islam be perfect? Muslims believe they can as where Christians know better. And looking at the reality of our existence in regards to what we know about the nature of man, the Christian model seems to make the most sense and much closer to the truth.
  14. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 02:35
    @fmf said
    Yes, it does have laws about blasphemy and proselytizing which, I suppose, are seen partly as public order issues. There's plenty of ostentatious and manufactured outrage here in the post-Suharto and social media-fuelled environment. The Christian Governor of Jakarta spent two years in prison recently for [perceived] blasphemy. In fact, his biggest "crimes" may have been his Chi ...[text shortened]... us freedom" [to a degree] by listing the religions officially recognized and protected by the state.
    In Indonesia , do all siblings inherit equally or do they follow Islamic law where the females inherit 1/2 of what the male heirs inherit ?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '19 02:50
    @whodey said
    You don't think so?

So you don't know?

I've never met a Muslim who ever suggested that Mohammad was in error in any way.

Why not ask some of your Muslim peeps?
    I've met very few Muslims in the last 30 years who seem to think about it all, in pretty much the same way as I've met very few Catholics in the last 30 years who actually believe in transubstantiation.

Muslims pray to the Abrahamic God several times a day. The ones I live among are not as fixated on their prophet as you seem to think they should be. Having said that, I don't think they are inclined to fault their prophet's teaching on things like prayer, charity, good works, family, faith, fasting and pilgrimage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree