1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 07:581 edit
    The universe is an everlasting explosion and that is where we “live”, inside and explosion.

Nobody knows what “living” is, except that some atoms get arranged in a certain way and become… sort of haunted.

So, some atoms wake up and think about the universe. Some of us write it down.

Like I just did.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 08:30
    @divegeester
    High fives again!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 08:39
    @divegeester said
    The universe is an everlasting explosion and that is where we “live”, inside and explosion.

Nobody knows what “living” is, except that some atoms get arranged in a certain way and become… sort of haunted.

So, some atoms wake up an think about the universe. Some of us write it down.

Like I just did.
    The "human condition" is such that each of us finds our own "meaning of life" and navigates our way through the three-score-and-ten accordingly.

For most people in the world, this "meaning of life" is inextricably interwoven with their spiritual/religious beliefs.

These beliefs, in short, and for billions of people, provide an answer to the widespread and quintessentially human assertion: there must be more to life than this.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 13:31
    @divegeester said

Like I just did.
    It is only through life that matter can begin to comprehend its creator. 🙂
  5. Subscriberrookie54online
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 14:48
    @divegeester said

Like I just did.
    what the heck are you vaping?
    i want some
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 21:35
    @divegeester said

Like I just did.
    The curse of consciousness....Uniquely in the animal world, we are aware of ourselves and our existence, so the part of our hugely complex brain which breaks the surface and becomes thought occasionally asks the big questions, to which there are no big answers. Some of us rely on a kind of 'catch all' assumption that there must be some higher being creating and dealing with everything, which manifests itself in the form of religious doctrines and beliefs, others of us just make a cup of tea and reach for the Golden Virginia....

Either way we fall short of the mark, so all we can really do is get on with it for as long as it's our to get on with. We make friends (friend) , we argue on chess forums, but as the Floyd famously said, in the end, it's only 'round and 'round.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    03 Jun '22 03:35
    @divegeester

You lost me at "meaning".
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    03 Jun '22 04:17
    Isn't it interesting that in general the linguistic abilities of human females develop earlier and further than those of human males, but the males often trot out their verbiage as if it were some kind of plumage?
  9. Joined
    04 May '22
    Moves
    03 Jun '22 04:37
    @divegeester said

Like I just did.
    “and become … sort of haunted” – a truly brilliant turn of phrase!

And although we might want to believe that our personal, or culturally acquired, hauntings must be “the real ones” – perhaps it is not so. Or, perhaps so. Some find it hard – even threatening – to live with the ambiguity. And yet that might be the very place where peace can be found: the ataraxia of which the Pyrrhonian philosophers spoke.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '22 08:01
    @vistesd2 said
    “Some find it hard – even threatening – to live with the ambiguity.
    This is very true and magnified greatly in much of the posting in this forum.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jun '22 12:32
    @vistesd2 said

And although we might want to believe that our personal, or culturally acquired, hauntings must be “the real ones” – perhaps it is not so. Or, perhaps so. Some find it hard – even threatening – to live with the ambiguity. And yet that might be the very place where peace can be found: the ataraxia of which the Pyrrhonian philosophers spoke.
    Who can be wrong when it is all open to interpretation? Only when there is a
    correct answer or proper response does ambiguity stop being a virtue but an
    excuse or error!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '22 14:42
    @vistesd2 said

Ooh, ataraxia.
  13. Joined
    04 May '22
    Moves
    05 Jun '22 17:08
    @KellyJay

In the face of a demonstrable, objective empirical certainty, openness to other possibilities might be an excuse for error – or just dogmatic stubbornness. The fact that one believes that one’s truth claims must be true does not make them so.

I say: “Look, an oak tree—

My friend says: “No it’s not.”

I say: “I believe it is.” (Does that not imply already some question? Some degree of uncertainty?)

My friend says: “Let’s go see.” And, upon closer inspection, we discover what I thought was a large oak tree is actually an abandoned tower covered with vines and leaves. My observation was mistaken.

At that point, there is no ambiguity – but in assenting to further investigation, I admitted the possibility; I allowed the ambiguity: my friend might be right. I’m sure that’s an oak tree; I can’t imagine what else it could be – but I could be wrong.

One might think of it in a Buddhist sense of non-clinging …

Note: For myself, I use the word “believe” just to mean something like “it seems to me to be so,” or “it appears to be the case,” or “that seems most likely based on the data.” That’s all.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Jun '22 18:16
    @divegeester said
    The universe is an everlasting explosion
    *expansion
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jun '22 18:46
    @vistesd2 said
    @KellyJay

In the face of a demonstrable, objective empirical certainty, openness to other possibilities might be an excuse for error – or just dogmatic stubbornness. The fact that one believes that one’s truth claims must be true does not make them so.

I say: “Look, an oak tree—

My friend says: “No it’s not.”

I say: “I believe it is.” (Does that no ...[text shortened]... o be so,” or “it appears to be the case,” or “that seems most likely based on the data.” That’s all.
    If you are saying it is an Oak Tree and it is, you are correct.

You can be certain your right and be wrong if there is a right and wrong answer.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree