1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Jul '21 01:203 edits
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (KJV)

Interlinear:
    https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/15-13.htm

First, why only "his friends"? It might be more inclusively Christian to translate that as "those he holds dear" -- which presumably should include everybody: friends, family, slaves, enemies, strangers, immigrants, aliens, etc.

As for "lay [down] his life" -- I don't think the original word necessarily meant or implied dying for the sake of one's friends. It could be more broadly and helpfully read as dedicating one's life to the welfare of others, or at least to the welfare of those one holds dear.

But (if I may introduce a non-canonical text, "The Prayer of Saint Francis" [which wasn't actually written by St. Francis]), perhaps that could also be read as laying down the false life of the arbitrary and transitory ego, despite its pride and clutching at status and materiality and hopes for immortality, for the sake of everyone else, or at least of those one holds dear.

The Blackbird, The Stranger, and the Cabbage are One.

Amen
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '21 04:481 edit
    @kevin-eleven said
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (KJV)
    It doesn't really ring true in most scenarios, to my way of thinking. So it may well be little more than a rather clunky insertion - into the most contrived and manipulative of the Gospels - that fits neatly with the dogmatic assertions about the "work" Christians claim Jesus did "on the cross".
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 06:271 edit
    @fmf said
    It doesn't really ring true in most scenarios, to my way of thinking. So it may well be little more than a rather clunky insertion - into the most contrived and manipulative of the Gospels - that fits neatly with the dogmatic assertions about the "work" Christians claim Jesus did "on the cross".
    Well, that's a first. I've never heard the Gospel of John described as "contrived and manipulative", even by atheists.

I'm thinking someone might have to have a large chip on their shoulder to claim such a thing.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 06:401 edit
    @kevin-eleven said

First, why only "his friends"? It might be more inclusively Christian to translate that as "those he holds dear" -- which presumably should include everybody: friends, family, slaves, enemies, strangers, immigrants, aliens, etc.
    I don’t have a strong opinion on this, nor a particularly informed one. Other than this:

Jesus describes two groups of people who will be at his marriage; his “bride”, which is the body of believers, and the “friends of the groom”, which are presumably not part of the body of believers but are in fact another group.

I believe that what Jesus is referring to in your OP is this group of friends of the groom, not fiends of the bride you notice!

The unbelievers, who are not part of the body of the church, but are the entire rest of humanity who he has lovingly saved from the catastrophic disaster of the alternate timeline described in Revelation.

These people do not generally describe Jesus as a “friend” but he regards them as such. To die for your bride is one thing, but to die for people who don’t even believe in you is another. Ultimate mercy and ultimate love.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 06:43
    @suzianne said
    Well, that's a first. I've never heard the Gospel of John described as "contrived and manipulative", even by atheists.

I'm thinking someone might have to have a large chip on their shoulder to claim such a thing.
    Any thoughts on the thread OP?

Or are you here to do just exactly what it is you bitterly complain about others doing?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 09:34
    @kevin-eleven said

Interlinear:

First, why only "his friends"? It might be more inclusively Christian to translate that as "those he holds dear" -- which presumably should include everybody: friends, family, slaves, enemies, strangers, immigrants, ...[text shortened]... r at least of those one holds dear.

Amen
    I think you may have lost this contributing comment. I'll place it here where maybe it best belongs.

You seem to be saying that it wasn't Mary Poppins after all, is that right?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 09:39
    @Kevin-Eleven

Here's another lost item we can put in a better place.

Miss Moneypenny?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 09:411 edit
    @kevin-eleven said

Interlinear:

First, why only "his friends"? It might be more inclusively Christian to translate that as "those he holds dear" -- which presumably should include everybody: friends, family, slaves, enemies, strangers, immigrants, ...[text shortened]... r at least of those one holds dear.

Amen
    Another lost item I'm returning to your collection of troll contributions.
    Good thing you never got captivated by Moon Knight.
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 10:34
    @sonship
    I think the phrase is "turn the other cheek," not "return the cheek." 😉
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 12:22
    @kevin-eleven said
    @sonship
    I think the phrase is "turn the other cheek," not "return the cheek." 😉
    You mean you're not going instead for
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '21 20:59
    @suzianne said
    You should listen more to people with different beliefs from you.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '21 21:01
    @suzianne said
    I don't think you are using the expression "chip on one's shoulder" correctly.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 10:31
    @fmf said
    It will be the first barbed comment that popped into her mind.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jul '21 11:17
    @fmf said
    Of course you don't, I was talking about you.

The truth of it is self-evident. Except, you know, to you.

Even IF you agreed, you wouldn't say so, as that would be against your agenda.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jul '21 11:22
    @divegeester said
    Any thoughts on the thread OP?

Or are you here to do just exactly what it is you bitterly complain about others doing?
    Since you ask, my opinion of the OP is that it is a bollocks swipe at scripture.

And hey, spinmaster, I do not "bitterly" complain. I just complain - about idiots. Of course, you would spin this as "bitter" because you are one of the idiots I complain about most.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree