1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 04:14
    @philokalia said
    The feeling of travesty.
    You grew up with a feeling of “travesty” about what?
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 04:35
    @divegeester said
    You grew up with a feeling of “travesty” about what?
    chattel slavery of Black people

(Phrasing courtesy of FMF)
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 07:45
    @philokalia said
    chattel slavery of Black people

(Phrasing courtesy of FMF)
    But becoming a Christian didn’t make you feel more offended by it as you did with the occupation of the Hagia Sophia?

I ask because earlier you were talking about slavery in the bible as being a “concession” by god and that coupled with your reputation for hold racist views.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 07:56
    @divegeester said
    But becoming a Christian didn’t make you feel more offended by it as you did with the occupation of the Hagia Sophia?

I ask because earlier you were talking about slavery in the bible as being a “concession” by god and that coupled with your reputation for hold racist views.
    I am not sure how very old, very ingrained feelings about Black chattel slavery in the 17th-19th century would need to be revisited for some new insights after conversion any more than, say, sitting down and contemplating the Holocaust, the Khmer Rouge, the Holodomor, etc., in a new light would entail.

OF course, it is a radical transformation.. but these historical events are first understood through the political or historical mind, and the metaphysical aspects of life and death that I now subscribe to certainly have some different aspects to them, but this does not change the conclusions that I largely made before from a political or historical perspective. ^^
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 08:47
    @philokalia said
    I am not sure how very old, very ingrained feelings about Black chattel slavery in the 17th-19th century would need to be revisited for some new insights after conversion any more than, say, sitting down and contemplating the Holocaust, the Khmer Rouge, the Holodomor, etc., in a new light would entail.

OF course, it is a radical transformation.. but these historical ev ...[text shortened]... not change the conclusions that I largely made before from a political or historical perspective. ^^
    Wow, and there was me thinking slavery was just obviously immoral.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 08:49
    @philokalia said

OF course, it is a radical transformation.. but these historical ev ...[text shortened]... not change the conclusions that I largely made before from a political or historical perspective. ^^
    Anyway, yes yes....

But becoming a Christian didn’t make you feel more “personally offended” by it as you did with the occupation of the Hagia Sophia?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 12:15
    @divegeester said
    Anyway, yes yes....

But becoming a Christian didn’t make you feel more “personally offended” by it as you did with the occupation of the Hagia Sophia?
    You know there's a special relationship between orthodoxy and the Hagia Sophia, yes?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 16:10
    @philokalia said
    You know there's a special relationship between orthodoxy and the Hagia Sophia, yes?
    You know there’s a special relationship between Christ and human freedoms, yes?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 22:47
    @philokalia said
    When you say "Hagia Sophia" are you talking about the building or the saint?
    I can't see a "special relationship" between either and Eastern Orthodoxy.
    What is it?
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 23:33
    @divegeester said
    You know there’s a special relationship between Christ and human freedoms, yes?
    So you believe that Christ desired the immediate manumission of all slaves..? Or you believe that Christ believed His message would result in starting a process that promoted manumission and human liberty?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Sep '20 23:40
    @wolfgang59 said
    When you say "Hagia Sophia" are you talking about the building or the saint?
    I can't see a "special relationship" between either and Eastern Orthodoxy.
    What is it?
    Well, the thread is about the Church.

I have not heard of the Saint, but maybe that's the joke.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 00:521 edit
    @philokalia said
    Well, the thread is about the Church.

I have not heard of the Saint, but maybe that's the joke.
    What do you think Hagia means? 😵

Anyway ... what is this "special relationship" between building and Eastern Orthodoxy?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 00:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 03:02
    @philokalia said
    So you believe that Christ desired the immediate manumission of all slaves..? Or you believe that Christ believed His message would result in starting a process that promoted manumission and human liberty?
    I believe that slavery in any form is wrong, you don’t.

Prove me wrong.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 05:56
    @divegeester said
    I believe that slavery in any form is wrong, you don’t.

Prove me wrong.
    It's a very admirable moral stance.

I think it is unrealistic, but I generally agree with you on it, as far as things go.

So, why would I do that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree