1. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 13:381 edit
    There is no doubt that plagiarism is an act of dishonesty. It is the selfish act of using the work of another, and passing it off as your own, thereby taking credit for the labour of another. Many Christians pass this off as a 'no big deal" issue. The writers of the New Testament, were careful not to practice this act of deception. If they were going to repeat what was already stated by other bible writers they gave credit which told the reader that it was taken from the writings of the prophets etc. Jesus practiced this as well.

Christians who practice plagiarism are seeking to glory from the work of another man and are condemned here by Paul:

For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you. For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ: Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men's labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly, To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's line of things made ready to our hand. But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth. (2 Corinthians 10:12-18 KJV)

This is not an isolated statement. There are others like it.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 13:47
    'Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who steal my words from one another.' (Jeremiah 23:30)

For:

'Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.' (Proverbs 10:9)

And:

'Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.' (Romans 13:7).
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 13:50
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    'Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who steal my words from one another.' (Jeremiah 23:30)

For:

'Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.' (Proverbs 10:9)

And:

'Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.' (Romans 13:7).
    Thank you. Good verses. All of this begs the question, why do Christians practice it with such impunity.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 13:54
    @rajk999 said
    Thank you. Good verses. All of this begs the question, why do Christians practice it with such impunity.
    Not sure there is impunity, not in this forum anyway.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 13:54
    @rajk999 said
    I can only assume is a lack of humility and an abundance of pride.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 16:56
    @rajk999 said
    why do Christians practice it with such impunity.
    Because it doesn't matter who they are or what they do, or what they say, or to what extent they are dishonest jerks who do not behave like they are inspired to emulate Jesus and obey His commandments ~ because they tell themselves they have Eleven Reasons why their "Salvation" is already assured, come what may... maybe that's why?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 13:175 edits
    Readers, you will notice that all the voices here about plagiarism, with no exception I can see, do so because they cannot successfully refute the points being raised.

So they settle for the next best distraction - " Oh, you are just trying to make everyone think these are YOUR ORIGINAL thoughts in a prideful way."

A STUPID RED HERRING.

This was started by one poster. And it was picked up by followers who themselves could not find anything biblically wrong with what was taught.

Of course some don't care because they don't think God has spoken to man in the Bible at all.

Others, thinking they had some slamdunk objections, found it was not nearly as easy as they first imagined, to refute certain teachings.

Next best thing - Raise objections about originality, copyright, credits, etc.

ie. "Refute the 11 or 12 points about the assurance of salvation? Well, we can't do that. But alas, we have this other complaint over here as a distraction to the strong truths. You're just trying to make us all think you originally came up with all this. So let's argue about plagiarizing copycat on an originality ego trip."

When someone comes up with a good reason why one of more of the eleven reasons is not trustworthy, let me know.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 13:58
    @sonship said
    Readers, you will notice that all the voices here about plagiarism, with no exception I can see, do so because they cannot successfully refute the points being raised.

So they settle for the next best distraction - " Oh, you are just trying to make everyone think these are YOUR ORIGINAL thoughts in a prideful way."

A STUPID RED HERRING.

This was started b ...[text shortened]... up with a good reason why one of more of the eleven reasons is not trustworthy, let me know.
    Is your plagiarism evidence that you are "becoming like Jesus" and that "Jesus is flowing through" you?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 14:01
    @sonship said
    Next best thing - Raise objections about originality, copyright, credits, etc.
    The only thing to which I see an objection being raised is your lack of integrity.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 14:09
    @sonship said

A STUPID RED HERRING.

This was started b ...[text shortened]... up with a good reason why one of more of the eleven reasons is not trustworthy, let me know.
    A disdain for plagiarism is a commonly held position.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 14:14
    @sonship said
    This was started by one poster. And it was picked up by followers who themselves could not find anything biblically wrong with what was taught.
    You being called out for your dishonesty and narcissism is unaffected by whether you think you are "biblically right" or "biblically wrong".
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 14:24
    @fmf said
    You being called out for your dishonesty and narcissism is unaffected by whether you think you are "biblically right" or "biblically wrong".
    The irony is, when I have in the past quoted passages from the Bible, sonship has criticized me for not saying which translation I got it from.

Providing a source is not only to give credit to the original author but it is also to provide contextual clarity to the borrowed text. For example, if I mirrored such lack of integrity I could copy and paste a quote by Marx here but not disclose where it came from. Sonship might then read the quote and agree with what was written, not realizing the context of the quote was not what he thought it meant.

Proving a source allows readers to check, if they so desire, for context and clarity, no differently than providing a biblical reference.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 14:53
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The irony is, when I have in the past quoted passages from the Bible, sonship has criticized me for not saying which translation I got it from.

Providing a source is not only to give credit to the original author but it is also to provide contextual clarity to the borrowed text. For example, if I mirrored such lack of integrity I could copy and paste a quote by Ma ...[text shortened]... eck, if they so desire, for context and clarity, no differently than providing a biblical reference.
    I will say this quoting someone else' work does a couple of things, it gives credit where credit is due and the original author should receive credit, and it shows that the writer is doing their own research to even see the work strengthening the points they make. Even if we don't know who said something we are using it behoves us to acknowledge there is someone out there with the original thought.

I think for something that has to do with the Lord, there are a couple of things that should be considered if we are trying to reach the lost. God has to do the reaching, He doesn't do it by our powers of persuasion, our elegance of speech, our use of human manipulation.

When we are relying ourselves to get it done it puts that pressure on us and we are not the ones that matter here. God gives the increase, not us, we cannot talk someone into salvation. Salvation is only going to occur when they and God get right with each other. That is not true when they are only yielding to the manipulation we applied, or the pressure we exerted. This I think is another reason why the church grows under persecution much more than it does under prosperity and peace, there are no illusions what one is doing and why.

1 Corinthians 2:3-5 English Standard Version (ESV)
    And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 15:001 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I will say this quoting someone else' work does a couple of things, it gives credit where credit is due and the original author should receive credit, and it shows that the writer is doing their own research to even see the work strengthening the points they make. Even if we don't know who said something we are using it behoves us to acknowledge there is someone out there wi ...[text shortened]... Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
    'I will say this quoting someone else' work does a couple of things, it gives credit where credit is due and the original author should receive credit, and it shows that the writer is doing their own research to even see the work strengthening the points they make.'

Agreed. This is something incumbent upon all of us, irrespective of our faith or lack thereof. This requirement is not waived even if a poster believes they are posting on behalf of the divine.

15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Aug '19 15:091 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    'I will say this quoting someone else' work does a couple of things, it gives credit where credit is due and the original author should receive credit, and it shows that the writer is doing their own research to even see the work strengthening the points they make.'

Agreed. This is something incumbent upon all of us, irrespective of our faith or lack thereof. Th ...[text shortened]... I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who steal my words from one another.' (Jeremiah 23:30)
    I think it is even more important when dealing with God since God doesn't share credit. If you go back through scripture there were many times God points that out. He even reduces the means by man can do something to show it was only through Him it could be done. Another reason why many things that people say no way could that happen, could only happen if God did it, and did it not through some human or purely natural means.

Judges 7

The Lord said to Gideon, “The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, ‘My own hand has saved me.’ Now therefore proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, ‘Whoever is fearful and trembling, let him return home and hurry away from Mount Gilead.’” Then 22,000 of the people returned, and 10,000 remained.

And the Lord said to Gideon, “The people are still too many. Take them down to the water, and I will test them for you there, and anyone of whom I say to you, ‘This one shall go with you,’ shall go with you, and anyone of whom I say to you, ‘This one shall not go with you,’ shall not go.” So he brought the people down to the water. And the Lord said to Gideon, “Every one who laps the water with his tongue, as a dog laps, you shall set by himself. Likewise, every one who kneels down to drink.” And the number of those who lapped, putting their hands to their mouths, was 300 men, but all the rest of the people knelt down to drink water. And the Lord said to Gideon, “With the 300 men who lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hand, and let all the others go every man to his home.” So the people took provisions in their hands, and their trumpets. And he sent all the rest of Israel every man to his tent, but retained the 300 men. And the camp of Midian was below him in the valley.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree