1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 05:36
    @galveston75 said
    What? This answers it for you? Really?
    Well you don’t say how old YOU think the earth is, you don’t give any rational as to why you or some think it is 6,000 years old. So no it doesn’t address the OP at all.

What is interesting is why your dodged the question.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 05:371 edit
    @galveston75 said
    You can believe what you want. I don't care.
    You keep saying this as though your ‘not caring’ carries with it some sort of credible gravitas.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 05:43
    @whodey said
    I believe you are only here to belittle young earth creationists so don't let me spoil your fun.
    Well I’ve been posting here for 11 years and in threads far more controversial than this topic and yet you have never once challenged me on my motives, why is that I wonder?

Let me suggest a reason. You started a thread, this one Thread 180469 and your OP contained what suggested to you was a blatant lie. I called you out on this lie 6 times in the thread and you refused to come back and reply.

And now here you are, doing this, whatever it is you are doing.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 09:02
    Now we seem to have got past all the naysayers, can I invite any of the young earth creationists to discuss why they believe the earth is only 6,000 years old please.

I’d like to understand why you believe this, is it purely the lineages text in the OT or is there something more?

This is not a “ridicule” thread like @whodey is suggesting.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 10:241 edit
    Well if there isn’t much interest then I presume it isn’t very important and of course “salvation” doesn’t depend on it...does it? No of course not.

I’ve had a bit of a read up on it this morning and it seems that the concept’s contemporary momentum is rooted in the rise of the Christian fundamentalist movement of the early 20th century but the ideology goes back hundreds of years before declining with the advent of scientific contradictions and more freedom of thought.

The key piece of evidence which the entire beliefs seems to be built on are the lineages in Genesis. I find this quite incredible considering how genesis is constructed significantly with imagery and metaphor. Surely lineages could have gaps? Surely their main purpose of inclusion is not to map out the age of the earth.

Having said there seems to be little archeological evidence of technological mankind before 6000 years ago. I guess some people are more comfortable having absolutes even if those absolutes are not absolutely absolute.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 10:53
    @divegeester said
    Well if there isn’t much interest then I presume it isn’t very important and of course “salvation” doesn’t depend on it...does it? No of course not.

I’ve had a bit of a read up on it this morning and it seems that the concept’s contemporary momentum is rooted in the rise of the Christian fundamentalist movement of the early 20th century but the ideology goes back hun ...[text shortened]... me people are more comfortable having absolutes even if those absolutes are not absolutely absolute.
    YEC's are a classic case of fundamentalism. The Bible is the word of God and no amount of evidence, logic or reasoning is going to change that view.

Take KellyJay and his view that humans coexisted with dinosaurs. He accepts that there is no scientific or scriptural evidence to support this yet he believes his viewpoint is true simply because of his literal interpretation of the lineage in Genesis. It's extraordinary, and i find it fascinating.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:08
    @divegeester said
    Well you don’t say how old YOU think the earth is, you don’t give any rational as to why you or some think it is 6,000 years old. So no it doesn’t address the OP at all.

What is interesting is why your dodged the question.
    I'm not "dodging" anything. You love that word don't you? Anyway the answer is there but for some reason you don't get it so here ya go?

"I don't know" It could be fifty thousand years old or fifty bazillion years old. Do you know? I would say God knows, right? Why don't you ask him?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:14
    @galveston75 said
    I would say God knows, right? Why don't you ask him?
    This discussion topic is about how YECs seem to be certain that the earth is only 6000 years old. It’s a straightforward honest question inviting honest open dialogue from posters in this forum.

Telling me to “ask God” is a bit of a strange contribution.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:15
    @caissad4 said
    You did not answer the question.
    Why does a book in your holy, holy book , which attributed to Moses, give account of the death of Moses ?
    Sorry I missed that. Why do you ask?

Deuteronomy 34: 1-8
    34 "Then Moses went up from the desert plains of Moʹab to Mount Neʹbo, to the top of Pisʹgah, which faces Jerʹi·cho. And Jehovah showed him all the land, from Gilʹe·ad to Dan, 2 and all Naphʹta·li and the land of Eʹphra·im and Ma·nasʹseh, and all the land of Judah as far as the western sea, 3 and the Negʹeb and the District, the valley plain of Jerʹi·cho, the city of the palm trees, as far as Zoʹar.
    4 Jehovah then said to him: “This is the land about which I have sworn to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying, ‘To your offspring I will give it. I have let you see it with your own eyes, but you will not cross over there.”
    5 After that Moses the servant of Jehovah died there in the land of Moʹab just as Jehovah had said. 6 He buried him in the valley in the land of Moʹab, opposite Beth-peʹor, and nobody knows where his grave is down to this day. 7 Moses was 120 years old at his death. His eyes had not grown dim, and his strength had not departed. 8 The people of Israel wept for Moses on the desert plains of Moʹab for 30 days. Then the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were completed."
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:201 edit
    @galveston75 said
    Sorry I missed that. Why do you ask?

Deuteronomy 34: 1-8
    34 "Then Moses went up from the desert plains of Moʹab to Mount Neʹbo, to the top of Pisʹgah, which faces Jerʹi·cho. And Jehovah showed him all the land, from Gilʹe·ad to Dan, 2 and all Naphʹta·li and the land of Eʹphra·im and Ma·nasʹseh, and all the land of Judah as far as the western sea, 3 and the Negʹeb ...[text shortened]... desert plains of Moʹab for 30 days. Then the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were completed."
    Like KellyJay you seem to struggle a little with reading comprehension. Caissad4 is not asking you to copy paste the text about Moses death, they are asking you why Moses is able to write about his own death.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:25
    It’s not a trick question, it’s not even a difficult question there is loads of content on the net about it if one is struggling to get around it or it troubles your faith.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Moses-Deuteronomy.html

Personally stuff like this just whizzes past my head like a pea from a peashooter.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:38
    @divegeester said
    Like KellyJay you seem to struggle a little with reading comprehension. Caissad4 is not asking you to copy paste the text about Moses death, they are asking you why Moses is able to write about his own death.
    Sooooorrrrrryyyyy. Perhaps Jehovah had another bible writer write the conclusion of Deuteronomy for Moses? I'll do some research for y'all.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:42
    @galveston75 said
    Sooooorrrrrryyyyy. Perhaps Jehovah had another bible writer write the conclusion of Deuteronomy for Moses? I'll do some research for y'all.
    “Dodging” again.

All the time Galveston75, what is it with you. If something crops up and you haven’t been given a response from the watchtower you’re hopelessly lost aren’t you.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:45
    @divegeester said
    “Dodging” again.

All the time Galveston75, what is it with you. If something crops up and you haven’t been given a response from the watchtower you’re hopelessly lost aren’t you.
    I said I will do some research for her. What do you not understand about that?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 01:48
    @galveston75 said
    I said I will do some research for her. What do you not understand about that?
    I’ve given you a link, have you looked at it? Are you allowed to?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree