1. Joined
    04 May '22
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 21:261 edit
    As I reflect on days of yore, I recall that Suzianne was always gracious to me – as my spiritual proclivities evolved, even as they were far from her own.

I also had really good relationships with FMF and Divegeester. I also had really good relationships (back in that day) with people I argued with vociferously (e.g. lucifershammer, for those who remember).

I recall the days of passionate debate – in an atmosphere of mutual respect and regard.

Am I just a dinosaur? (It’s okay if I am – I’d just like to know.)
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 22:28
    @vistesd2

The respect has gone, it's become a bear pit where it's not the argument that matters but how good the put down is?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 22:482 edits
    @medullah said
    @vistesd2

The respect has gone, it's become a bear pit where it's not the argument that matters but how good the put down is?
    I disagree. It’s become a bit of a farce, yes. But mostly it’s just devoid of new blood.

10 years ago the forum was still a “bear pit” but there were so many more posters; Twhithead, Lemon jello, nemisio, rwingett, black beetle, the JWs, the Palestinian zealot scherzo, and a host of American Christians.

Some will say that the “bear pit” has caused the demise but it isn’t. The website is really really old in internet terms and the debate has moved to other platforms. Remember this place predates even Facebook!

All these forums will devolve the same way and in fact they are. But I have an affection for this place and the posters, despite my conflicts with some of them.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '22 03:09
    @medullah said
    @vistesd2

I think vistesd2's title for this thread is apt.
  5. Joined
    04 May '22
    Moves
    02 Jul '22 05:45
    @divegeester

Wow: some names even I had (sadly) forgotten. Also bbarr and Dr. Scribbles. I recall long debates with lucifershammer as well (he is now a Jesuit priest, BTW).

With that said, this thread was a mistake on my part. I should have realized that it could be a matter of picking at wound-scabs -- on other peoples' skin. Mea culpa.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '22 05:59
    @vistesd2 said
    @divegeester

Wow: some names even I had (sadly) forgotten. Also bbarr and Dr. Scribbles. I recall long debates with lucifershammer as well (he is now a Jesuit priest, BTW).

With that said, this thread was a mistake on my part. I should have realized that it could be a matter of picking at wound-scabs -- on other peoples' skin. Mea culpa.
    Whatever "wounds" the likes of Suzianne and josephw feel they have, there are no scabs on them. No scabs are permitted to grow on them. Scabs would suggest healing. The "wounds" their 'banter' and scorn and disinhibition reflect are just kept open and wet and shiny - for the sake of posturing - just like they have been for years.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 04:50
    @fmf said
    Whatever "wounds" the likes of Suzianne and josephw feel they have, there are no scabs on them. No scabs are permitted to grow on them. Scabs would suggest healing. The "wounds" their 'banter' and scorn and disinhibition reflect are just kept open and wet and shiny - for the sake of posturing - just like they have been for years.
    Oh, the clear and present irony.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 05:03
    @suzianne said
    Oh, the clear and present irony.
    No irony whatsoever. If you disagree with it, so be it.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 15:51
    @fmf said
    No irony whatsoever. If you disagree with it, so be it.
    If you spend ALL your time here promoting yourself and slamming others, so be it.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 16:12
    @suzianne said
    If you spend ALL your time here promoting yourself and slamming others, so be it.
    Ah NOW... yes... oh the irony.

See?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 18:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 22:01
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Would you say that your chess rating is representative of your “smart” as posting in these forums?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 22:52

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 22:58
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 23:33

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree