1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '19 07:57
    What would you say constitutes a sincere and sufficient effort by a person to know and understand and consider your beliefs?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    16 May '19 13:05
    @FMF
    walk a mile in another's shoes

it seems sorta simplistic, eh???
    that's the reason for platitudes
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 13:43
    @FMF

Listening to what you say you believe if they care to know. There is no moral obligation to understand others. This is what I believe.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 May '19 14:44
    @rookie54 said
    @FMF
    walk a mile in another's shoes

it seems sorta simplistic, eh???
    that's the reason for platitudes
    Walk a mile in your enemies shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away from your enemy,...and you'll have his shoes.
  5. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    16 May '19 15:321 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Walk a mile in your enemies shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away from your enemy,...and you'll have his shoes.
    Haha! Good one, Ghost. We need more humour on this Forum!

To answer FMF's OP, I would say that if you can verbalise the other's POV and feed it back with the same emotion as it was given, to the extent that he/she says: "Yes, that is exactly what I believe", then I say one has earned the right to offer a rebuttal.

I have taught my sons variations of this process and we use it when we have serious arguments!
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    16 May '19 20:17
    @fmf said
    What would you say constitutes a sincere and sufficient effort by a person to know and understand and consider your beliefs?
    I wouldn't say -- not here.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 20:30
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Take the shirt of his back; it’s probably yours anyway.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 20:31
    @caljust said
    I have taught my sons variations of this process and we use it when we have serious arguments!
    How incredibly manufactured of you all that sounds. Of course it also sounds like a load of pretentious bollox.

Hate me for calling it...
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 May '19 03:41
    @fmf said
    Once the person has made the effort to understand the internal logic, and has been charitable to that logic, I think it is safe to say that they have made a sincere effort.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '19 03:44
    @philokalia said
    Once the person has made the effort to understand the internal logic, and has been charitable to that logic, I think it is safe to say that they have made a sincere effort.
    "Charitable"?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '19 03:46
    @philokalia said
    The crux of question, which your answer doesn't quite address, is this: What would you say constitutes a sufficient effort?
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    25 May '19 03:08
    @fmf said
    Hogwash.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '19 03:28
    @secondson said
    Hogwash.
    It's a reasonable question: What would you say constitutes a sincere and sufficient effort by a person to know and understand and consider your beliefs?

I don't see how "hogwash" is an answer to it.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 May '19 05:27
    @fmf said
    To be respectful and hopefully get that back in return. Doesn't always happen though.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 May '19 21:431 edit
    @fmf said
    If we discuss beliefs, they engage mine in a way that shows they understand what I've told them (even if they don't agree with said beliefs).

I try to do the same.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree