1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 14:061 edit
    The hard core YECs, those over the event horizon, insist that “6 days” of creation is literal. But it cannot be, here’s why…

Firstly science (scientists) doesn’t know how life emerged on earth. Fine. Secondly they do know where Gold comes from, how it was created, along with all the other heavy elements such as iron.

Let’s take iron. Iron is essential for human life, it is present in trace amounts in the haemoglobin of our red blood cells for example.

But iron is only produced in stars at the time of their death. As a large star, on of the bigger ones, burns it’s fuel and starts depleting it, the explosive energy of the start decreases and gravity starts to overcome the outward explosive force and collapse the star. As this happens heavier elements are produced as the star crushes the atoms causing more intense nuclear fusion. It’s an increasing cycle of outward explosive force and inward gravitational force. Eventually only iron is produced at the stars centre and the fuel is exhausted. The big stars collapse at almost the speed of light and the resultant implosion is bounced back outward in a massive explosion ~ a supernova.

This phenomena ejects masses of heavy elements into the universe; iron, carbon etc, the ingredients of life. Science knows this happens, it is universally accepted.

Let’s acknowledge then that all these elements are in deep space drifting around, eventually joining a coalesce of collapsing material which makes a planet, the earth.

God then intervenes and initiates life. The process of creation of human beings.

YECs can argue that this process was accelerated on earth, but the time from the exploding stars to the earth being habitable is millions, even billions of years. So “day 1” cannot be literally 24 hours.

Thoughts.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 15:311 edit
    @divegeester said
    The hard core YECs, those over the event horizon, insist that “6 days” of creation is literal. But it cannot be, here’s why…

Firstly science (scientists) doesn’t know how life emerged on earth. Fine. Secondly they do know where Gold comes from, how it was created, along with all the other heavy elements such as iron.

Let’s take iron. Iron is essential for human lif ...[text shortened]... abitable is millions, even billions of years. So “day 1” cannot be literally 24 hours.

Thoughts.
    I'm not taking sides on the question of is 6 days metaphorical or not but would point out that science is an evolving discipline i.e., what we knew to be true 1000 years ago is clearly different than what we know to be true now.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 15:59
    @divegeester said

But iron is only produced in stars at the time of their death.
    If we talk about 6 days of creation we most probably also talk about element genesis ex nihilo. So God ccan just create iron (and Gold and Uranium,...) as seen fir.

No proof of "metaphorical".

You can't disproove belief. You can point out, that God is taking a lot of highly interesting detours and that there are big "if's" in the beliefe, but proof is hard. I would rather go for growing rings in trees (and I know that God can create a living tree with said rings, as God can create ice layers that seem to be of a certain age,....and there is no end)
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 20:163 edits
    @ponderable said
    If we talk about 6 days of creation we most probably also talk about element genesis ex nihilo. So God ccan just create iron (and Gold and Uranium,...) as seen fir.

No proof of "metaphorical".

You can't disproove belief. You can point out, that God is taking a lot of highly interesting detours and that there are big "if's" in the beliefe, but proof is hard. I would ...[text shortened]... h said rings, as God can create ice layers that seem to be of a certain age,....and there is no end)
    There is an example like this which I’ve heard in Christian circles which says that if Jesus healed a one legged 50 year old man an gave him a new leg, then that leg would appear to be 50 years old. It’s a nice example, but it doesn’t address the problem of a 6 day creation which is either a literal 6 days or it’s a metaphor for six periods, 6 dispensations maybe, of creation.

The assertion in my OP is based on the assumption that God does NOT hide his creative processes to try to deceive mankind. Iron is indeed created in stars, and ONLY in stars, nowhere else. This is proven scientific objective fact.

However it is a fair premise for a religious person to assert that God could just go “poof” and everything just appeared in a state of being with seams of gold pre-woven into rocks and and iron readily available to the making of haemoglobin, but it that is not in keeping with god’s nature elsewhere in the bible.

Proverbs 25:2
    It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

Surely this means through both spiritual and scientific methods.
    1. God has concealed himself and we are to seek him spiritually.
    2. God has concealed his creative processes and through science we can seek those.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree