1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 16:04
    In the LGBT thread I was attempting to ask a question about sin, but may not have asked it clearly.

If a Christian is knowingly commiting a certain sin (daily, weekly, yearly), then how can they continue to call themselves a Christian?

Jesus requires repentance and change, once the sin is known and admitted. Yes, one can ask for forgiveness, but every day?
    For the same sin?

I referred to sexual preference in the other thread because it doesn't seem that one can change it, but it's likely that there are more issues people deal with that they cannot seem to change, which causes perpetual sin. This can only lead to a frustrating existence if one tries to remain a Christian.
  2. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 21:16
    jesus is programmed to forgive
    hence
    perpetual forgiveness
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 22:20
    @lemondrop said
    jesus is programmed to forgive
    hence
    perpetual forgiveness
    Does Jesus say that He will perpetually forgive sins if the person knows it's a sin, but continues to do it anyway?

Maybe not.
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 22:31
    @chaney3 said
    Does Jesus say that He will perpetually forgive sins if the person knows it's a sin, but continues to do it anyway?

Maybe not.
    is lying a sin?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 22:351 edit
    @chaney3 said
    If a Christian is knowingly commiting a certain sin (daily, weekly, yearly), then how can they continue to call themselves a Christian?
    Whether you believe in the supernatural immortality angle or not, following Jesus is a code for walk-the-walk living or else it is nothing.

There are 40,000 denominations and you can rummage through what they have to say if you so please.

Earnest endeavours to obey the key commandments that Jesus gave - and then let the creator being [if there is one] go ahead and judge the sincerity with which you sought to be obedient - seems like a sensible way to conduct yourself, regardless of your rather agnostic Christian "faith" and regardless of what maybe 40,000 different voices are babbling in your ear.

Following Jesus' teaching is a code for living that has more moral import than debating whether angels dancing on a pin are labelling so-and-so "a Christian".
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 22:57
    @fmf said
    Whether you believe in the supernatural immortality angle or not, following Jesus is a code for walk-the-walk living or else it is nothing.

There are 40,000 denominations and you can rummage through what they have to say if you so please.

Earnest endeavours to obey the key commandments that Jesus gave - and then let the creator being [if there is one] go ahead and judge t ...[text shortened]... e moral import than debating whether angels dancing on a pin are labelling so-and-so "a Christian".
    Your post is reasonable. In essence, you seem to be saying....do the best you can, then leave the judging to God.

But there are many voices saying we should do better than that.

Jesus said "go and sin no more".
    He must have had a reason to say it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 23:02
    @lemondrop said
    is lying a sin?
    The actual commandment says:

Do not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Maybe lying about other stuff is okay, as long as your neighbor is not involved. 😀

(Just keeping it light)
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 23:11
    @chaney3 said
    But there are many voices saying we should do better than that.
    Shrug. Choose one of those voices or organizations and follow it then, if your personality and moral compass leave you no other option.

But to me, the notion that one needs to follow those who say one "should do better than that" even though one is sincerely doing one's best, seems like a recipe for falling under the spell of sanctimonious hypocrites.

Once one does this, it soon becomes a case of 'I am powerless, I am not worthy, thank goodness I don't have to try, thank goodness I can gain immortality purely for thinking certain things'... etc.

Know what I mean?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 23:171 edit
    @chaney3 said
    Jesus said "go and sin no more".
    He must have had a reason to say it.
    Whether Jesus is who Christians believe he is and he actually said this, or whether it's some kind of allegory or parable, it still fits perfectly well with what I put to you.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '20 23:34
    @fmf said
    Whether Jesus is who Christians believe he is and he actually said this, or whether it's some kind of allegory or parable, it still fits perfectly well with what I put to you.
    He supposedly said it twice.

But I get the gist of what you're saying.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '20 09:29
    @chaney3 said
    Yes, one can ask for forgiveness, but every day?
    For the same sin?
    Yes, if you knew your Bible you would know that this is the case.
  12. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    27 Dec '20 18:13
    @divegeester said
    it's a get out of jail free card
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '20 18:14
    @divegeester said
    You are wrong dive.
    Jesus calls us to repent and change, not just continuing the same old sins, day after day.

You don't like to hear that though, because it allows you to ignore what Jesus said, and remain your angry, sarcastic, coarse persona on these forums.

Do you really think Jesus is stupid?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Dec '20 20:59
    @chaney3 said

You don't like to hear that though, because it allows you to ignore what Jesus said, and remain your angry, sarcastic, coarse persona on these forums.

Do you really think Jesus is stupid?
    You are in no position to comment on other posters personas.

Do you think people have forgotten the racist and sexist rants you have made here in the past?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '20 21:02
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You are in no position to comment on other posters personas.

Do you think people have forgotten the racist and sexist rants you have made here in the past?
    Move on petty man.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree