1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:30
    @fmf said
    I believe using the word "lie" in this way is nothing more than making it clear that you are very certain someone is wrong and you feel a bit emotional or angry or hostile about it and feel the need to smear or denigrate the person you do not agree with.

You are using the word "lie" to refer to something you disagree with and you are seeking to emphasize how strongly you feel ...[text shortened]... others what they believe ~ are they all "liars" because you don't think their religions are "true"?
    What on earth are you on about? Believing a ‘lie’ doesn’t make you a liar.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:32
    @fmf said
    if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle you must fear or hate them

I'd say this is not true ~ meaning that I disagree with it ~ but I don't think someone who does believe it can be described as lying. I have encountered plenty of people who fear and/or hate people whose lifestyles they disapprove of.

[b]to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or ...[text shortened]... ling a lie - unless of course they were promoting the idea deliberately whilst knowing it was false.
    I don’t think you have understood the OP or anything I have said about a lie if you think it is implying that someone who believes a lie is automatically a liar.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:38
    @dj2becker said
    I don’t think you have understood the OP or anything I have said about a lie if you think it is implying that someone who believes a lie is automatically a liar.
    The idea that there can be "lies" but no "liars" simply underlines how weak your way of using the word "lie" is. The same goes for using the word "lie" to mean something you disagree with. It's the stuff of propaganda not proper discourse.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:41
    @dj2becker said
    Believing a ‘lie’ doesn’t make you a liar.
    If there are liars who created the supposed lies in your OP, why not identify who they are? If there are no liars, there are no lies. And which "culture" is your OP on about?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:44
    @dj2becker said
    I understand that you believe each time a child gets an answer wrong on a maths quiz, it is ~ to your way of thinking ~ a "lie".
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:49
    Presumably, then, the "Our culture has accepted two huge lies" thread title can be rewritten as "The majority of the people in some unspecified culture somewhere are making two huge mistakes" and it would mean the same thing. Is that right?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 07:53
    @dj2becker said
    I guess your culture may well be different to the culture of the person making the statement. I would agree that it is poorly stated.
    You started the thread.

Can YOU say which "culture" has "accepted" both of these propositions?

[1] if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle you must fear or hate them

[2] to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do

If you have no idea which culture it is where these two propositions have supposedly been accepted, then what is the point of the peculiar nonsense that your OP consists of?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:421 edit
    @fmf said
    The idea that there can be "lies" but no "liars" simply underlines how weak your way of using the word "lie" is. The same goes for using the word "lie" to mean something you disagree with. It's the stuff of propaganda not proper discourse.
    The word 'lie' can be used as a verb or a noun. When it is used as a verb there may certainly be an intention to deceive. If you are saying that it is impossible for someone not to know they are being deceived by a 'lie' (noun) then you are certainly very naive or you are simply trying to be obtuse.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:45
    @dj2becker said
    If you are saying that it is impossible for someone not to know they are being deceived by a 'lie' (noun) then you are certainly very naive or you are simply trying to be obtuse.
    Who are you claiming told the supposed "lie"? Who created it? Who is deliberately deceiving the mistaken people to your way of thinking? All I see you doing is referring to something you disagree with as being a "lie".
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:46
    @fmf said
    If there are liars who created the supposed lies in your OP, why not identify who they are? If there are no liars, there are no lies. And which "culture" is your OP on about?
    If you intend to say that it is always possible for you to trace the origin of a lie you should maybe go and offer your services to the FBI.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:47
    @fmf said
    Who are you claiming told the supposed "lie"? Who created it? Who is deliberately deceiving the mistaken people to your way of thinking? All I see you doing is referring to something you disagree with as being a "lie".
    Whom exactly am I disagreeing with when I share someone else's quote?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:47
    @dj2becker said
    The word 'lie' can be used as a verb or a noun. When it is used as a verb there may certainly be an intention to deceive.
    I am not interested your use of the word "lie" as a wishy-washy, loaded and emotive term.

I don't think such rhetoric helps to investigate diversity and disagreement related to perceiving the beliefs of others or to characterizing the nature of dissent.

Framing something as a "lie" when there is no intent to deceive serves no useful purpose in a discussion like this.

As I said, it's a use of the word in service of propaganda and posturing. So I will refrain from it.

I have never referred to any of the things that Christians believe to be true as "lies" just because I don't believe the same things.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:49
    @fmf said
    I can understand why the word 'lie' seems to bamboozle you within a framework of relative truth.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:51
    @dj2becker said
    Whom exactly am I disagreeing with when I share someone else's quote?
    So you don't disagree with the two propositions in the OP?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 08:51
    @fmf said
    I am not interested your use of the word "lie" as a wishy-washy, loaded and emotive term.

I don't think such rhetoric helps to investigate diversity and disagreement related to perceiving the beliefs of others or to characterizing the nature of dissent.

Framing something as a "lie" when there is no intent to deceive serves no useful purpose in a discussion like this.

...[text shortened]... he things that Christians believe to be true as "lies" just because I don't believe the same things.
    It's not my quote, maybe save your ramblings for someone who actually used the word 'lie' in the context it was used in?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree