Old Age

SubscriberFMF
Spirituality 21 Jun '20 13:18
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 13:18
    “Old age exposes the failure of our entire civilisation”.

~ Simone de Beauvoir

What ideas or observations ~ of a spiritual, philosophical or ideological kind ~ does this quote trigger?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 14:48
    @fmf said
    “Old age exposes the failure of our entire civilisation”.

~ Simone de Beauvoir

What ideas or observations ~ of a spiritual, philosophical or ideological kind ~ does this quote trigger?
    i was struck first by a notion of wanting more
    i wanted more context of what she was speaking of
    so i went searching
    the lady was a thinker

It is old age, rather than death, that is to be contrasted with life. Old age is life's parody, whereas death transforms life into a destiny: in a way it preserves it by giving it the absolute dimension. Death does away with time.
    ~Simone de Beauvoir

------
    It is not mere chance that makes families speak of a child who is 'extraordinary for his age' and also of an old man who is 'extraordinary for his age'; the extraordinariness lies in their behaving like human beings when they are either not yet or no longer men.
    ~ Simone de Beauvoir

-------

Society turns away from the aged worker as though he belonged to another species. That is why the whole question is buried in a conspiracy of silence. Old age exposes the failure of our entire civilization.
    ~Simone de Beauvoir

--------

i know more now than i did ten minutes ago
    and yet i am ten minutes older than i was ten minutes ago
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 15:00
    you become old only on the outside.... Socrates..
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 16:32
    The older I get, the more I realise how little I know.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '20 18:38
    @hakima said
    The older I get, the more I realise how little I know.
    True, and the older I get the more I realise how little the younger generation know.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '20 23:55
    If I think about places where I have lived, I can see that in Britain, Ireland, Australia and Japan, stories of old age pensioners dying alone and their bodies being found in their houses or apartments ~ and there being difficulty tracing next of kin etc. the neighbours did not know them etc. it was only when the postman saw the letterbox overflowing etc. etc. ~ are relatively normal and common, especially in winter.

But here in Indonesia, it is apparently far less common and almost unheard of in the parts of the country where I have lived ~ although it would not surprise me if it happens sometimes in the really big cities.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree