1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 14:38
    She who is beloved and I are in Bali, and today is 'Nyepi', the 'Day of Silence'. This is the end and beginning of the Hindu new year, the airport is closed as is the airspace above Bali to passing air traffic. No vehicles are permitted on the roads, and no electric lights are permitted to be seen. People go home to their families, and the day and night (by candlelight) are spent in quiet contemplation of the past year and preparing spiritually for the next.
    From a tourists' viewpoint, most normal hotel services are suspended, and we stay in our rooms, observing the no noise, no light ruling.
    We were in Bali last Nyepi as well, it's a very special time for the Balinese.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 16:34
    @indonesia-phil said
    She who is beloved and I are in Bali, and today is 'Nyepi', the 'Day of Silence'. This is the end and beginning of the Hindu new year, the airport is closed as is the airspace above Bali to passing air traffic. No vehicles are permitted on the roads, and no electric lights are permitted to be seen. People go home to their families, and the day and night (by candlelight ...[text shortened]... e, no light ruling.
    Stay safe sir.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 19:45
    @indonesia-phil said
    She who is beloved and I are in Bali, and today is 'Nyepi', the 'Day of Silence'. This is the end and beginning of the Hindu new year, the airport is closed as is the airspace above Bali to passing air traffic. No vehicles are permitted on the roads, and no electric lights are permitted to be seen. People go home to their families, and the day and night (by candlelight ...[text shortened]... e, no light ruling.
    Have a wonderful time, sounds very serene.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 21:51
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Stay safe sir.
    And your good self.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 22:00
    @divegeester said
    Have a wonderful time, sounds very serene.
    Serene about sums it up, even more serene at the moment as the vast majority of tourists have gone home, there aren't many of us left....Most of the hotels are closed now. The Balinese economy runs largely on tourism, and in typical Balinese style they see the current situation as an opportunity to see how they get by without the tourists. I'm sure they'll do very well. Meanwhile we search for ways to get the two - hour 'plane journey home to Sulawesi without having to go via Mombasa...Limited airline services at present.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree