1. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    05 Aug '19 02:29
    why is the bible such a piece of dull, dry, humorless, violent writings?
    I've tried reading it
    never could
    never will
    there were some beautiful literature, poetry, etc, during that time but the writers of the bible were nearly illiterate
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '19 05:21
    @lemondrop said
    I've tried reading it
    never could
    never will
    there were some beautiful literature, poetry, etc, during that time but the writers of the bible were nearly illiterate
    Each to there own.
    Try some poetry about rainbows and unicorns.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Aug '19 09:591 edit
    @lemondrop

While you are concerned for literacy check the English grammar of your sentence above.

Many of us make some mistakes. Not many of us do so while complaining about the poorly written Bible.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    05 Aug '19 23:08
    @lemondrop said
    I've tried reading it
    never could
    never will
    What, talking donkeys, talking snakes and all sorts of magic tricks not good enough for you ? Granted with its' gratuitous violence it should not ever be read by children.
    It is an almost adequate fiction. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 3.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    06 Aug '19 21:46
    @lemondrop said
    I've tried reading it
    never could
    never will
    Well, they'd have had to be fairly stupid to believe the stuff they were writing about.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    06 Aug '19 21:48
    @lemondrop said
    I've tried reading it
    never could
    never will
    Your opinion is quite subjective on this one, lol.

Many non-believers regularly paraphrase Ecclesiastes or Psalms or Genesis just because those beautiful phrases are embedded in our English language.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '19 23:36
    @lemondrop said
    I've tried reading it
    never could
    never will
    You missed quite a lot, but you are not alone in that. You should try reading it from the perspective of the writer, God. (inspired words) .

Moses was brought up as a prince of Egypt. Logic and reasoning were a mainstay in his mind. So what is the best way to interupt that thinking process. A burning bush, that isn't consumed.

Another view, the story of Jonah. As unbelievable as his adventures seem, along with the rest of scripture, what the heck. So after being in the belly of a fish for 3 days and vomited up on the shores of the town he was trying to avoid in the first place. He goes and preaches what God wanted.

The part that many over look is this line. "God allowed a plant to grow in a single day, to shade Jonah from the sun and sooth his ill humor"
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 01:35
    @pudgenik said
    You missed quite a lot, but you are not alone in that. You should try reading it from the perspective of the writer, God. (inspired words) .

Moses was brought up as a prince of Egypt. Logic and reasoning were a mainstay in his mind. So what is the best way to interupt that thinking process. A burning bush, that isn't consumed.

Another view, the story of Jonah. As unbe ...[text shortened]... . "God allowed a plant to grow in a single day, to shade Jonah from the sun and sooth his ill humor"
    Moses never existed. Two million people could not wander the Sinai desert for 40 years and leave zero trace for archaeologists to discover. Just not possible. Israeli archaeologists came to that conclusion.
    Do you really believe that a human could live in the "belly" of a whale ? That is a fairy tale for the young and/or ignorant.
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 01:38
    @caissad4 said
    Moses never existed. Two million people could not wander the Sinai desert for 40 years and leave zero trace for archaeologists to discover. Just not possible. Israeli archaeologists came to that conclusion.
    Do you really believe that a human could live in the "belly" of a whale ? That is a fairy tale for the young and/or ignorant.
    i was born on April Fool's Day, does that answer your question.

I know God can do anything. Yes i believe
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 01:40
    @pudgenik said
    i was born on April Fool's Day, does that answer your question.

I know God can do anything. Yes i believe
    If I believed in the Easter Bunny that would be zero evidence for the existence of the Easter Bunny.
  11. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 01:55
    @caissad4 said
    If I believed in the Easter Bunny that would be zero evidence for the existence of the Easter Bunny.
    If you walk in my shoes you would have no doubts
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 02:26
    @caissad4 said
    That's a very common argument.

Yet, what would be expected to be found of nomadic people crossing Sinai and moving down around to the East of the Jordan, and then entering Israel?

Wanderers across the desert bringing items with them that they or pack animals can carry who just left a period of slavery -- it's not like they are going to stop to erect some large, stone homes along the way or be dropping bronze tools that are completely distinctive of their ethnic group...

Let us also remember that most timelines will say that we are talking about the very late bronze age...

We don't know who the "Sea Peoples" really were from that time, and they occupied a far, far broader area of the world, yet the definitive research text on the sea peoples that recently came out is... 70 pages? THe same is true of the Scythians and the White Huns -- who existed long after the Hebrews, and who had an impact everywhere from Persia to India, terrorizing loads of people.

You have irrational expectations if you think that the exodus can be definitively proven through undeniable archaelogical evidence.

But here is a link to check out:

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/exodus/exodus-fact-or-fiction/
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 02:38
    @sonship said
    @lemondrop

While you are concerned for literacy check the English grammar of your sentence above.

Many of us make some mistakes. Not many of us do so while complaining about the poorly written Bible.
    ok
    can someone correct if for me?
    how about you, sonship?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '19 09:37
    @lemondrop said
    ok
    can someone correct if for me?
    how about you, sonship?
    I would have said, "can someone correct it for me", but I know I make more than my fair share of such things. 🙂
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 19:50
    @caissad4 said
    https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20040408/moses-man-or-myth/

Of course another angle of Satan doing all he can to disprove the Bible.
    And it could have been 20 million and still no problem with Jehovah guiding and protecting his people.
    Same with Jonah. If it was Jehovah's will he could have kept Jonah alive for the rest of his life in there if he had wanted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree