1. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 21:43
    ...forbidden, but it smell so good in the aisles at the market.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 23:20
    Mormon Doctrine and Covenant
    SECTION 89

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Kirtland, Ohio, February 27, 1833. As a consequence of the early brethren using tobacco in their meetings, the Prophet was led to ponder upon the matter; consequently, he inquired of the Lord concerning it. This revelation, known as the Word of Wisdom, was the result.

1–9, The use of wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks is proscribed; 10–17, Herbs, fruits, flesh, and grain are ordained for the use of man and of animals; 18–21, Obedience to gospel law, including the Word of Wisdom, brings temporal and spiritual blessings.

1 A aWord of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
    2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the aword of wisdom, showing forth the order and bwill of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—
    3 Given for a principle with apromise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.
    4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of aevils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of bconspiring men in the last days, I have cwarned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—
    5 That inasmuch as any man adrinketh bwine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.
    6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, apure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.
    7 And, again, astrong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.
    8 And again, tobacco is not for the abody, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.
    9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

As far as I’m aware the two texts in bold (firmly in the introduction and secondly in the body of their text) is the only Mormon specific text from which is extrapolated the prohibition of tea and coffee.
  3. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 23:451 edit
    @divegeester

then you are not familiar with the 1920ish revelation of that then prophet of the church making the word of wisdom a commandment and not a suggestion as the prophet joseph advised.

learn something of the mormon history before you post. do not rely on wikipedia like duchess64, etc.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '19 12:26
    @mister-moggy said
    @divegeester

then you are not familiar with the 1920ish revelation of that then prophet of the church making the word of wisdom a commandment and not a suggestion as the prophet joseph advised.

learn something of the mormon history before you post. do not rely on wikipedia like duchess64, etc.
    I didn't quote from Wikipedia and I cited the source.

Perhaps you would care to provide the content and source of your claim here?
  5. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    16 Nov '19 19:51
    @divegeester

i report to the official positon of the Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saints ( as it has been since the 1920's ).

"A candidate for baptism or admittance to an LDS temple must agree to abide by the faith’s Word of Wisdom, a health code that bars the use of these substances.

The temporal advice was first pronounced as a divine revelation in the 1830s by Mormon founder Joseph Smith, given not as a “commandment or constraint,” but as a “word of wisdom.” By the early 1900s, though, LDS leaders moved to make the prohibitions mandatory, and now such abstinence has become a hallmark of Mormonism.

Coffee cups turned upside down — sometimes dubbed the “Mormon flip” — and Sprite in wine glasses signal LDS faithfulness to onlookers and would-be judges.

These drinks remain out of bounds, even as evidence mounts that moderate wine-drinking is beneficial, and both coffee and tea contain antioxidants to help fight off disease.

Though some point to the code as a reason for Latter-day Saints’ generally good health and longevity, Mormon officials acknowledge adherence is not primarily about health.

“It’s a symbol of willingness to live in obedience to the standards God has revealed through his prophets for members of the church,” says LDS spokesman Eric Hawkins, qualifying them to participate in sacred rituals."
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Nov '19 20:40
    @mister-moggy said
    ...forbidden, but it smell so good in the aisles at the market.
    What’s the point of not having coffee is it trying to earn points with God?
  7. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    16 Nov '19 21:28
    @RBHILL

Heavenly Father has made it very clear. He set up Commandments. They are not about "points". They about obedience. His Son, the Elder Brother to us all, Jesus, gave us two additional ones. They were not "suggestions" or about making "points". They were commandments.

Commandments are about obedience and not "points".
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 00:49
    @mister-moggy said
    @RBHILL

Heavenly Father has made it very clear. He set up Commandments. They are not about "points". They about obedience. His Son, the Elder Brother to us all, Jesus, gave us two additional ones. They were not "suggestions" or about making "points". They were commandments.

Commandments are about obedience and not "points".
    Are you LDS?

Are you even Christian?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 08:51
    @suzianne said
    Are you LDS?

Are you even Christian?
    He’s Trollian.
  10. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 20:201 edit
    @divegeester

you must mean "am i a paulist"

jesus never set up a church.

paul did.

so you really ask, "am i a paulist ?".

( or am i just a peter ? )
  11. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 13:36
    jesus only wanted to reform the synagogue.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 17:561 edit
    @mister-moggy

jesus never set up a church.

What would you say about Jesus' words ?

"And I also to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." (Matt. 16:18)

How did He never set up a church if He promised He would build His church, and that an indestructible one?

paul did.

Paul established "churches". The universal church Christ said He WOULD build.

You don't believe that the Holy Spirit descending upon the believers in Acts in Jerusalem had anything to do with Christ setting up the church ? Paul was persecuting around that time, the Christians.

You cannot blame Paul for the church in Jerusalem. You have to blame its establishment on the Holy Spirit. That must be the beginning of the church which Christ said He would build.
  13. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 18:04
    @sonship

peter was working within the jewish tradition. paul was not. the words you quote may have been but a paraphrase remembered poorly later by the writer or it may have meant "my church" as the reformed jewish sect that jesus led and peter was meant to continue but paul ran ahead to the gentile world and won the race against peter.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 18:19
    @mister-moggy

jesus only wanted to reform the synagogue.

No He did not want to reform the synagogue/s. He expected that the synagogues would persecute His apostles. That is oppose what He was doing rather than accept it.

" And beware of men, for they will deliver you up to sanhedrins, and in their synagogues they will scourge you." (Matt. 10:17)
  15. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 18:25
    @sonship

yes, sanhedrins ( like paul ) but jesus was not telling anyone to fear the ordinary jewish people whom he wanted to fill the synagogues with his new reformation of judiasm.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree