1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 10:40
    @secondson said
    Enjoy your ivory tower.
    The opposite of “life being at its worst” and having “all your problems cascade on you” is not living in an ivory tower. It’s called normality.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 11:10
    @divegeester said
    The opposite of “life being at its worst” and having “all your problems cascade on you” is not living in an ivory tower. It’s called normality.
    If you find peace living on the coast in bliss, then you don't know what the peace of God is. You have a materialistic perspective.

Did you even read John 16:33?
    These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Matthew 7:14
    Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Tribulation and narrow are from the same Greek word.

Do you even have a clue what the Bible says about the Christian life?

Matthew 13:20,21
    But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
    Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 11:22
    @secondson said
    What evidence is there - in what you post and in your behaviour - that you do?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 11:24
    @secondson said
    If you find peace living on the coast in bliss, then you don't know what the peace of God is. You have a materialistic perspective.
    How is living on a coast "materialistic"?
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 11:301 edit
    Acceptance + Forgiveness x Serenity = Peace
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 11:391 edit
    @secondson said
    I do know that the “Christian life” does not require us to experience “life being at its worst” and having “all your problems cascade on you” in order to find moments of peace.

And yet once again when you are questioned about how you express your beleifs you immediately resort to abuse and start firing scripture barbs out in what appears to be a defensive barrage. I’m not surprised as this is your MO when your posting is scrutinised.

Why am I mentioning this? Well I read your initial post and frankly I didn’t believe it. It doesn’t ring true from a scriptural perspective nor an experiential one. I think what you are trying to do is once again position yourself as being the Christian tough guy who shoulders all of life’s cascading burdens and yet still finds himself being the spiritual muscle.

I don’t believe you secondson, your initial post in this thread doesn’t resonate truth or authenticity.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 12:14
    @divegeester said
    I do know that the “Christian life” does not require us to experience “life being at its worst” and having “all your problems cascade on you” in order to find moments of peace.

And yet once again when you are questioned about how you express your beleifs you immediately resort to abuse and start firing scripture barbs out in what appears to be a defensive barrage. I’ ...[text shortened]... on’t believe you secondson, your initial post in this thread doesn’t resonate truth or authenticity.
    Well, you mischaracterized my meaning and intent. Obviously, you'd rather be in agreement with the naysayers being critical of the Bible and Christians than expounding on biblical truth.

I don't care if you don't believe me.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 12:26
    @wolfe63 said
    Acceptance + Forgiveness x Serenity = Peace
    The God of peace gives His peace freely. Can't be earned.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 16:13
    @secondson said
    Well, you mischaracterized my meaning and intent.
    How?

Seriously, how?
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 20:192 edits
    @divegeester said
    What do you mean by “proven”?
    For example, young children remembering previous lives and describing particular aspects, that they could not possibly have known, in vivid detail, which are then corroborated.

Also, the tests for a new Dalai Lama are very specific and complicated, with the "outgoing" Dalai Lama prescribing the date of his rebirth, the names of his parents and the village, amongst others. This is how the current DL was identified.

Admittedly, "proven" may be a strong word. But there are actually only three possibilities for a afterlife, i.e.

A - None, cessation, nada
    B - Punishment or Reward (the Christian and Muslim model)
    C - Reincarnation, of some sort or other

A and B cannot be proven, because nobody has yet come back from the other side, and for A it would be impossible by definition. But for C there is a large amount of documentary evidence which could make it highly plausible.i

Btw, there is at least one example of reincarnation in the Bible, with the prophet Elijah coming back as John the Baptist.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 20:39
    @caljust said
    For example, young children remembering previous lives and describing particular aspects, that they could not possibly have known, in vivid detail, which are then corroborated.

Also, the tests for a new Dalai Lama are very specific and complicated, with the "outgoing" Dalai Lama prescribing the date of his rebirth, the names of his parents and the village, amongst others. ...[text shortened]... one example of reincarnation in the Bible, with the prophet Elijah coming back as John the Baptist.
    I don't believe in any of that hearsay, so by default it is not "proven" is it?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 23:48
    Come inner peace, I don't have all day!
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 23:53
    I say, if you want inner piece send drone strikes against all your adversaries.

It worked for Obama and he even won a Nobel Peace prize for it.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 00:081 edit
    @caljust said

Also, the tests for a new Dalai Lama are very specific and complicated, with the "outgoing" Dalai Lama prescribing the date of his rebirth, the names of his parents and the village, amongst others. ...[text shortened]... one example of reincarnation in the Bible, with the prophet Elijah coming back as John the Baptist.
    "Young children remembering previous lives - nobody has yet come back from the other side".

Total contradiction.

John the Baptist was not Elijah reincarnated. That's not in the Bible.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 00:30
    @divegeester said
    How?

Seriously, how?
    How? Because you obviously didn't understand what I meant.

I replied to the OP about when I experienced peace. Your first reply was sarcastic. I ignored it.

Then you went on to berate what I said because you neither can relate to or understand my meaning.

Then you make this innocuous statement: "I do know that the “Christian life” does not require us to experience “life being at its worst” and having “all your problems cascade on you” in order to find moments of peace".

I never said that or intimated anything remotely resembling it.

That's how!

I was replying to your posts trying to tell you something about what I meant in my original post, but because of your deep seated biases against Christians and their use of the scriptures to make a point relative to the topic of discussion you completely missed it.

Have a nice day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree