1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 21:06
    @suzianne said
    Didn't you know? All homosexuals are pedophiles. This is what the Christian right wants you to believe. They already know you don't condone pedophilia, so they are trying to shoehorn homosexuality into this so that you reject it, too.
    Hi Suzianne, thanks for jumping in, I'm not going to fall for the old shoehorn trick...As I have traversed the rocky road of life some of my best friends have been gay, and I've a gay niece who I'd jump in front of a train for, oddly enough though, none of them have been pedophiles, or thieves for that matter, or liars...Funny, that.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 21:11
    @fmf said
    I don't think all people on the Christian right want you to believe that all homosexuals are paedophiles. Some do, no doubt. But there are people on the Christian right who understand the concept of informed consent, just like their counterparts on the left do.

What I think all people on the Christian right DO agree on is that both practising homosexuals and paedophiles are committing "sin" ~ transgressing God's will ~ according to their Christian beliefs.
    And hello Mr FMF; seems like the Christian right thinks just about everything's a sin. I hope making a cup of tea isn't a sin, or my day's off to a really bad start....
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 21:13
    @rajk999 said
    Wrong about me trying diversion tactics. Your point about justifying homosexuality is that it is in the nature of the person to be that way, and they cannot be any thing else. I then pointed out that it is also in the nature of certain people to be gluttonous, to be liars, to steal, to be adulterers and fornicators, to be child molesters. Scientific research into these qualit ...[text shortened]... e. You will help him.

All people do good and evil. God will judge. This conversation is over now.
    It isn't over 'til it's over, but okay, it's over.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 22:11
    @indonesia-phil said
    It isn't over 'til it's over, but okay, it's over.
    Cool, I will be happy to disagree on another topic soon. 😀
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 23:27
    @indonesia-phil said
    And hello Mr FMF; seems like the Christian right thinks just about everything's a sin. I hope making a cup of tea isn't a sin, or my day's off to a really bad start....
    Yes. If the Bible made it clear that making a cup of tea was a "sin", it would be bad news for the tea drinkers of the world but... what makes the Christian right (and left) what they are (and think), is rooted their stances on stuff that's in the Bible. I don't think scripture can be used to argue that things like homosexual sex and abortion are not "sins".
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 08:34
    @Suzianne

'Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.'

I think this trumps any of the difficult stuff in the OT. There isn't a clause in that commandment to exclude people from that love, whose lifestyles are different from our own.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '20 13:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @Suzianne

I think this trumps any of the difficult stuff in the OT. There isn't a clause in that commandment to exclude people from that love, whose lifestyles are different from our own.
    Paul gave the church the advice to excommunicate unbelievers or people who continue with gross sins. Im not sure exactly what that meant and Im sure that directive is subject to abuse by church leaders.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Sep '20 19:15
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @Suzianne

Yes. Precisely.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 00:15
    @suzianne said
    Yes. Precisely.
    The exhortation "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" surely does not mean that a Christian needs to deny that a neighbour who is engaging in homosexual sex, according to Christian beliefs, is "sinning" and that the sex in "sinful", right?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 07:291 edit
    @suzianne said
    Yes. Precisely.
    Do you believe that God views the act of same gender sexual intercourse as sin?

Edit: for transparency as I know you are paranoid about me ... I believe that the bible is absolutely unequivocal that under both the old and new covenants as described in both written testaments, that homosexual and lesbian (if there is a semantic differentiation) sex is a sin.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 07:561 edit
    @divegeester said
    Do you believe that God views the act of same gender sexual intercourse as sin?

Edit: for transparency as I know you are paranoid about me ... I believe that the bible is absolutely unequivocal that under both the old and new covenants as described in both written testaments, that homosexual and lesbian (if there is a semantic differentiation) sex is a sin.
    Did Jesus himself directly address the specific question of homosexual acts?

And no, I am not answering for Suzianne. (I know you are paranoid about that). I provided the original quote:

12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 08:22
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

And no, I am not answering for Suzianne.
    Haha, of course you are.

Are you and she having a fling or something?
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 10:08
    @divegeester said
    Haha, of course you are.

Are you and she having a fling or something?
    I'm answering for the bloke next door, not that I fancy him or anything, but he reckons that the bible is a bit old fashioned in its' views about gayness. I mean it was written a few thousand years ago, and stoning people to death went out of vogue ages ago, so, you know, it could be said to be a dodgy thing with which to set ones' moral compass. Anyway that's what he reckons, and come to think of it I agree with him. (His name's Fred, by the way) (Or is it Harry?)
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 11:33
    @indonesia-phil said
    I'm answering for the bloke next door, not that I fancy him or anything, but he reckons that the bible is a bit old fashioned in its' views about gayness. I mean it was written a few thousand years ago, and stoning people to death went out of vogue ages ago, so, you know, it could be said to be a dodgy thing with which to set ones' moral compass. Anyway that's what he reckons, and come to think of it I agree with him. (His name's Fred, by the way) (Or is it Harry?)
    Yes it is a dodgy thing to set ones moral compass using the bible, because the bible contains two different sets of guidelines. One is for the Jew ONLY, in the time of Moses. Even some Christians fail to realise that. The other law [of Christ] is for all people. The reason for this is that the death of Christ eliminated the need for constant sacrifices and a multitude of laws, regulations and guidelines and punishment, which Paul described as a burden. Jesus and the Aposltes all simplified the new law under Christ and here it is:

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Galatians 5:14 KJV)

Jesus said that this is the one critical thing by which all men will be judged. However sins remain, and Jesus's advice regarding this is to STOP, and go and sin no more.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 11:42
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Did Jesus himself directly address the specific question of homosexual acts?

And no, I am not answering for Suzianne. (I know you are paranoid about that). I provided the original quote:

Many sins are not directly addressed by Christ. The reason is that Jesus preached to the Jews only, and never ventured out to the Gentiles who did not have the Law of Moses. The Jews knew the Law and they know homosexuality's is a sin; no need to repeat that. So Jesus naturally focused on what the Jews needed to hear so that they will change and be able to enter the Kingdom of God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree