1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '20 08:241 edit
    “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.

I apply this 'rule' pretty consistently to all parts of my life.

Immediate family. Extended family. Neighbours. Work colleagues. Students. Clients. Close friends. Other friends. The people connected to the radio station in the UK that I produce shows for. The people I interact with here at RHP. Other online contacts.

I apply it to strangers in most circumstances.

It works well. Not everyone reciprocates. But it's a good rule to aspire to, nevertheless.

What about you?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 22:53
    The scripture which you have part quoted is Jesus reflecting on Leviticus 19:17-18
    You must not harbour hatred against your brother in your heart. Directly rebuke your neighbor, so that you will not incur guilt on account of him. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against any of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Jesus stated that the two most important statutes are:
    - Love the Lord your God with your complete self
    - Love your neighbour as yourself

Both of these commands are impossible on a literal level. Nevertheless they are the crux of the true Christian condition.

Jesus also called us to go with him and that his yoke is easy and his burden light.

These ideas are juxtaposed, conflicting and impossible without help.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 04:22
    @FMF

So whenever we use your own forum tactics against you, you just see it as us treating you as you would like to be treated, is that right?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 07:481 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    So whenever we use your own forum tactics against you, you just see it as us treating you as you would like to be treated, is that right?
    “We”? Is that similar to “they” depending of whether your part of the latest clique?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 07:511 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    @FMF

What do you think of the comparison I made between the quote of Jesus in Matthew and the writings of Moses in Leviticus?

How do you see the outworking of commands from the OT about a loving yet vengeful God being juxtaposed to the NT reiterations spoken by Jesus and yet seemingly impossible to fulfil without what Acts describes as being spirit filled?
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 08:58
    @divegeester said
    What do you think of the comparison I made between the quote of Jesus in Matthew and the writings of Moses in Leviticus?
    I don't.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 09:05
    @caesar-salad said
    I don't.
    I thought not.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 09:06
    @divegeester said
    “We”? Is that similar to “they” depending of whether your part of the latest clique?
    Maybe you and FMF should try expanding your clique. Otherwise it just looks like you and him against the world.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 09:091 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    Maybe you and FMF should try expanding your clique. Otherwise it just looks like you and him against the world.
    Please can you kindly not hijack threads with your inane chatter.
    This thread hasn’t even got going and already you are pouring your pathetic idiocy all over it.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 09:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 11:04
    @fmf said
    “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.

I apply this 'rule' pretty consistently to all parts of my life.

Immediate family. Extended family. Neighbours. Work colleagues. Students. Clients. Close friends. Other friends. The people connected to the radio station in the UK that I produce shows for. The people I interact with here at RHP. Other online contacts.
    ...[text shortened]... ell. Not everyone reciprocates. But it's a good rule to aspire to, nevertheless.

What about you?
    I just now looked at this thread.

My my first reaction and initial response is, in all honesty, that I fail miserably to measure up to that standard. I would be a hypocrite if I said I was so virtuous.

Idealistically the "golden rule" rings true in ones thoughts, but in practical reality, and in my opinion, man is at his heart selfish and self centered.

I would be a hypocrite if I characterized myself as living a life where I would be comfortable saying I do more than try my best.

There are few Mother Teresa's among us.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 11:06
    @secondson said
    My my first reaction and initial response is, in all honesty, that I fail miserably to measure up to that standard. I would be a hypocrite if I said I was so virtuous.
    Idealistically the "golden rule" rings true in ones thoughts, but in practical reality, and in my opinion, man is at his heart selfish and self centered.
    I would be a hypocrite if I characterized myself as living a life where I would be comfortable saying I do more than try my best.
    I can relate and empathise.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 11:19
    @divegeester said
    I can relate and empathise.
    Why in the world would someone thumb down your post?

It wasn't me.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 11:242 edits
    @secondson said
    Why in the world would someone thumb down your post?

It wasn't me.
    I highlighted one reason to you in the other thread; I have personally seen that methodology used by the posters I mentioned.

In this case it will most likely be Suzianne who systematically thumbs down every FMF and divegeester post. But if could be any of our detractors. Interesting isn’t it.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 11:48
    @divegeester said
    I highlighted one reason to you in the other thread; I have personally seen that methodology used by the posters I mentioned.

In this case it will most likely be Suzianne who systematically thumbs down every FMF and divegeester post. But if could be any of our detractors. Interesting isn’t it.
    It would be interesting, maybe, but consider the 5 thumbs down the OP received. Can any one poster make more than one thumbs down vote per post?

Five posters in collusion seems difficult to qualify, at least from my perspective. Although I suppose it's possible.

I wasn't one of them. I very rarely use the feature. In fact I hardly pay attention to it except for lately for some odd reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree