1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 02:42
    Tennessee preacher-cop calls for execution of LGBTQ people

Authorities in Tennessee are reviewing all pending cases involving a Knox County Sheriff's Office detective after he gave a sermon at his church that called for the government to execute members of the LGBTQ community.

"They are worthy of death," Grayson Fritts said in a June 2 sermon at All Scripture Baptist Church, a small church in Knoxville that he leads.[CNN]

I can't imagine anyone in this community agrees with this or endorses him or what he believes. But my question is this: when he says "They are worthy of death", from a Christian point of view, is he right or wrong?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 02:48
    @philokalia said
    The famous gay couple hanged together turns out to have been serial child molesters together.
    What is your source for this? Did it come from the Iranian authorities? People who disapprove of homosexuals and homosexual sex very often seek to conflate child molestation and homosexuality. Did any Iranian homosexuals confirm that the accusation was true and therefore endorse the carrying out of the death sentence on "the famous gay couple"? Or was it an accusation added on for political reasons without specifically being part of why they were executed?
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 03:04
    @fmf said
    What is your source for this? Did it come from the Iranian authorities? People who disapprove of homosexuals and homosexual sex very often seek to conflate child molestation and homosexuality. Did any Iranian homosexuals confirm that the accusation was true and therefore endorse the carrying out of the death sentence on "the famous gay couple"? Or was it an accusation added on for political reasons without specifically being part of why they were executed?
    My Canadian buddy, who was gay at the time, commented about this in the 2000s.

A bit of DuckDuckGo revealed that this is probably the incident:

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Execution_of_two_gay_teens_in_Iran_spurs_controversy

http://www.executedtoday.com/2009/07/19/2005-mahmoud-asgari-ayaz-marhoni-gay-teens-iran/

Mashad is also famous as a very religious city.

Based off of what I know, gay Iranians have to keep it underground, but they are not actively trolled or pursued by police, and some are somewhat open about what they do. But this stuff is always changing fast, and I am sure the situation had deteriorated in part under Ahmadinejad.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 03:30
    @philokalia said
    My Canadian buddy, who was gay at the time, commented about this in the 2000s.

A bit of DuckDuckGo revealed that this is probably the incident:

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Execution_of_two_gay_teens_in_Iran_spurs_controversy

http://www.executedtoday.com/2009/07/19/2005-mahmoud-asgari-ayaz-marhoni-gay-teens-iran/

Mashad is also famous as a very religious city. ...[text shortened]... uff is always changing fast, and I am sure the situation had deteriorated in part under Ahmadinejad.
    So, having looked at the material at the two links you posted, what is your own answer to the questions I asked you?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 03:511 edit
    @philokalia said
    I don't know all the details of every criminal hanged in Iran, but some of the famous examples were sexual predators hanged for molesting children.
    Are you sure they were "hanged for molesting children" and that they had actually been "molesting children"?

How can you be sure that you are not simply spreading a really grotesque form of Iranian government anti-homosexual propaganda here on this thread?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 05:171 edit
    @philokalia said
    I don't get why major media is so fixated on forcing the gay agenda down everyone's throats to the point that every TV show and advertisement focuses on it in America...

But here we are.
    40 years ago, it was "What's with all these Negroes on TV nowadays??"

Intolerance still lives.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 06:06
    @philokalia said
    Why should I live in a secular and pluralistic society, and why should I care about voting to uphold your conception of such a society.

I'm going to keep voting for the government I want regardless of your conceptions of how America should be.

The rainbow flag has much less of a place in American history than the cross.
    You're at liberty to go live in Waziristan. I hear they have a really strictly enforced religious code there.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 07:341 edit
    @suzianne said
    40 years ago, it was "What's with all these Negroes on TV nowadays??"

Intolerance still lives.
    Intolerance is very often based on ignorance and an ideological bias against counter-evidence. Education and patience can help overcome this.

Within my own lifetime, miscegenation was a crime in some states of the US. All the same arguments which were made against miscegenation (it's against nature, it's against God's law, etc. etc.) are still being made by a certain sort of person to buttress the claim that non-heterosexuality is wrong. But with patience and education, two generations have since grown up who don't even know what "miscegenation" means, would have to look it up in a dictionary, and would be surprised to hear that such a thing was once a crime. (I know something of this because my family knew such a family; I grew up playing with their kids. I thought nothing of it, but my parents explained the issue to me later, why they had had to leave a certain state and could not travel everywhere in America.)

I may not live to see the day, but the world is gradually moving in the direction that non-heterosexuality will achieve a similar status. Intolerance is hard to overcome, but it can be done. Unfortunately, there are powerful forces trying to forestall this; the vatican just issued a statement that there are only two genders, male and female:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48584892

(Note the same arguments: against nature, against God's law.)
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 08:51
    PS In case anyone is still in any doubt how deeply ingrained homophobia is in some parts of America, have a look at this article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/14/us/tennessee-preacher-cop-lgbtq/index.html

Quote: Authorities in Tennessee are reviewing all pending cases involving a Knox County Sheriff's Office detective after he gave a sermon at his church that called for the government to execute members of the LGBTQ community. End quote.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 12:01
    It changed, and changed again. Pronouns, categories, identifiers -- hah.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree