1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '19 02:27
    He Used To Be Trans—Here’s What He Wants Everyone To Know

Man raised transgender for over 40 years speaks of his recovery and regrets and warns.

YouTube

Brave new scientific world or emerging nightmare dis-utopia ?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '19 02:57

Removed by poster

3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 May '19 06:12
    @sonship

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48448804
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 May '19 06:20
    @moonbus said
    @sonship

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48448804
    To me, this doesn't actually make sense...

Even if it is not a disorder, as they say it is not, these people still feel that they are in the wrong body and require corrective surgeries and hormone therapy.

In my mind... If you are healthy, why would you need medicine?

If I told you that I need to take Prozac or another drug to feel contentment, but I said that I was objectively healthy, would I not be distorting the truth?

... It just doesn't make sense.

This is clearly a politicized definition.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 May '19 07:37
    @sonship said
    Neither.
    And the word you are struggling to find is dystopia.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '19 09:37
    @sonship said
    He Used To Be Trans—Here’s What He Wants Everyone To Know

Man raised transgender for over 40 years speaks of his recovery and regrets and warns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRkLtKqSrY

I watched a few minutes of it and he sounds like a tragic case.

However so we can discuss your OP topic, what is it you object to; sex change surgery? Or some parents having some sort of malevolent, reckless influence over their children’s sexual identity? I suspect both but they are very different issues.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 May '19 10:16
    I know a woman very well who was the youngest with two older brothers and spent her youth emulating her brothers and valuing what they valued. She was an incredible Tomboy -- hyper-athletic, very outdoorsy, and, to this day, she is a competitive fisherwoman and sports nut...

Yet, now she is with her husband, and she is entirely comfortable with herself as a female while at the same time obviously has a lot of "male" traits.

She herself has noted that if she was in some parents home who read into this, she would ahve probably very willingly "transitioned," and she would've made a tremendous mistake. And the funny thing is, she never contemplated anything like a gender transition -- she was just always a Tomboy and a sporty woman, nothing more, nothing less...

Imagine if she had been relentlessly fed the poisonous idea that she was in the wrong body and led down that path. It'd have been a disaster because all young peopel are impressionable and susceptible to bad suggestion.

Whenever I think of the idea of transitioning children, I think of her.

Of course, this is anecdotal, but it is an important anecdote for me.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 May '19 10:25
    Here is what I also find offensive...

People are taught now to question "gender norms," while simultaneously being open to an absolutely fluid gender identity of themselves... We encourage young peopel to redefine themselves, but on a very flimsy basis that is also rooted in our previous conceptions of gender that we are told are wrong!

How is a gender identity fluid? Well, if you have masculine and feminine traits.

So the man who likes to look handsome and is a bit of a dandy and enjoys preparing food and doting on someone is supposed to be half-convinced that his gender identity needs to be realigned or switched up a bit because, as a man, he has some feminine traits. But this is all like horoscopes -- at the end of the day, who doesn't like to look good? At the end of the day, who doesn't like to take care of a loved one? They convince you that because you want to be handsome maybe you want to be "pretty," too, and because you want to make something nice to eat, mayube you want to be like a housemom, too. it is actually hyper-genderfication.

Gender is a construct... but it is also the tool through which we deconstruct gender.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '19 11:59
    @moonbus

Thanks. I'll check what you want me to see there.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '19 12:141 edit
    @divegeester

However so we can discuss your OP topic, what is it you object to; sex change surgery? Or some parents having some sort of malevolent, reckless influence over their children’s sexual identity? I suspect both but they are very different issues.

You should follow through to watch the entire talk imo.

I am concerned for the wholesale marketing and money making business emerging to manufacture thousands of kids who are deemed candidates for sex change.

I knew of a woman who wanted a girl child SO BAD, that she called her male son's name "Beverly Ann". I think that is too selfish and not right. and I wonder what identity problems such a boy might have being forced to identify himself with the female name.

Someone said that it is very difficult to realize that you may be doing something wrong when money is pouring into your wallet.

My reasons for including this on the Spirituality Forum I will give latter.

I do think that I should be able to listen to a young person's problems with this matter with understanding, and not putting them off with fear. In that aspect professional medical people and laymen should be sensitive.

I am concerned for the kind of arrogance of modern science which assumes because we CAN do something, then we SHOULD do it.

I speak of blocking hormone development and removing genitalia and carving up the bodies of thousands of children "authorities" deem, in their wisdom, like high priests of science, need a sex change.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '19 12:162 edits
    @wolfgang59
    Neither.
    And the word you are struggling to find is dystopia.

"Negative utopia" or "dystoopia" is perhaps better.
    "Disutopia" is out there too.

[my bolding]

Dystopia and disutopia: Hope and hopelessness in German pupils’ future narratives

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10833-014-9237-x
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '19 12:29
    Another informative discussion imo.

When Harry Became Sally: Responding to the Transgender Moment

YouTube
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '19 19:49
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    I am concerned for the wholesale marketing and money making business emerging to manufacture thousands of kids who are deemed candidates for sex change.
    So what are you going to do about it, up your posting count in here?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '19 19:49
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    My reasons for including this on the Spirituality Forum I will give latter.
    Why not now?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '19 19:51
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    I speak of blocking hormone development and removing genitalia and carving up the bodies of thousands of children "authorities" deem, in their wisdom, like high priests of science, need a sex change.
    Is this topic something that affects you personally?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree