The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 14:37
    Good one
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 14:44
    If belief in a God figure gives a person a sense of structure and meaning in life, I don't see any harm in it.
  4. Standard memberPaladin I
    LEROYBROWN
    south side of chitow
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 15:13
    jordan peterson is not very bright 😉
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 17:49
    @fmf said
    If belief in a God figure gives a person a sense of structure and meaning in life, I don't see any harm in it.
    It helps people overcome adversity too
  6. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 18:00
    @paladin-i said
    jordan peterson is not very bright 😉
    But he is rich 😉
  7. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 18:10
    He always strikes me as very honest
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 18:18
    @medullah
    Agree. He seems pretty bright from where I'm standing too, despite what winky there thinks.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 18:23
    @avalanchethecat said
    @medullah
    Agree. He seems pretty bright from where I'm standing too, despite what winky there thinks.
    Hey! Winky’s my nickname
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 19:03
    @avalanchethecat said
    @medullah
    I dunno.

This guy is such a gloom and doomer I cut him off a third of the way through.

I know exactly what he's talking about, but I just couldn't take the "This is the path to the dark side" hoo-hah. I've been past the point he's talking about and I'm still here. People are stronger than he gives them credit for.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 21:12
    @suzianne said
    I dunno.

This guy is such a gloom and doomer I cut him off a third of the way through.

I know exactly what he's talking about, but I just couldn't take the "This is the path to the dark side" hoo-hah. I've been past the point he's talking about and I'm still here. People are stronger than he gives them credit for.
    I think you missed the point.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 05:001 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I think you missed the point.
    Jordan Peterson is an interesting figure. He is undoubtedly a public intellectual who has had quite an impact. In his own field, psychology, he can be really quite compelling.

When he moves into other areas, he too often seems to be a bit of a charlatan ~ and a purveyor of often quite shabby and disingenuous logical fallacies and misdirection.

He's not strong on "God" and "Jesus" and his misanthropic misery-guts schtick in this video [and elsewhere] lies - I think - somewhere between a calculated clickbait pitch at religious people with a certain mindset, on one hand, and his own angry misery-guts recovering drug addict personality, on the other.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 11:12
    @fmf said
    Jordan Peterson is an interesting figure. He is undoubtedly a public intellectual who has had quite an impact. In his own field, psychology, he can be really quite compelling.

When he moves into other areas, he too often seems to be a bit of a charlatan ~ and a purveyor of often quite shabby and disingenuous logical fallacies and misdirection.

He's not strong on "God" and ...[text shortened]... indset, on one hand, and his own angry misery-guts recovering drug addict personality, on the other.
    Everyone has baggage some flaw, and I was surprised someone thought his wealth mattered. I agree with you he is an interesting figure, but I guess not everyone sees him the say way for various reasons.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 11:26
    @kellyjay said
    I was surprised someone thought his wealth mattered.
    You may not know much about the economics of podcasting and how pitching one's schtick to certain demographics can be extremely lucrative.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 11:281 edit
    @fmf said
    You may not know much about the economics of podcasting and how pitching one's schtick to certain demographics can be extremely lucrative.
    True, wealth of itself I don't have any issues with; how we go about it can be problematic; where are we putting something above others that matter, the love of money has many issues attached to it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree