1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 00:371 edit
    Does anyone know how Christians from the LGBT community get around the stigma of sin that is perceived by most in the Bible? They must feel that their lifestyle is accepted by Jesus, right?

I think that separate churches exist exclusively for the LGBT community?

As mentioned in a different thread, Jesus never commented on the issue of being gay, and salvation.

Edit:. I don't know any gay Christians or I would ask them.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 07:12
    @chaney3 said
    Does anyone know how Christians from the LGBT community get around the stigma of sin that is perceived by most in the Bible? They must feel that their lifestyle is accepted by Jesus, right?

I think that separate churches exist exclusively for the LGBT community?

As mentioned in a different thread, Jesus never commented on the issue of being gay, and salvation.

Edit:. I don't know any gay Christians or I would ask them.
    Pre-Covid, I attended a Christian church (although I, myself am not Christian) that has a significant number of members from the LGBTQ community. Although I have not asked them to speak to your specific question regarding the “stigma of sin”, I assume that they take the position of a good number of Christians who view sin as a condition of the state of being human and as such in need of the salvation of one such as they believe Jesus affords them.

As for the church which I attend, there isn’t a lot of discussion regarding who has the greater or lesser sin, be it a non-believer, such as myself or a person who lives differently than any one of many interpretations of scripture. All are welcome.
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 07:42
    Well when I read the Bible it says women can lay together but men cannot lay together ...
    (Or maybe I read that in the Quran 🤔)

So lesbians are fine I guess... 😉

Also the shenanigans going on in Sodom and Gemorah (I probably misspelled them)
    Which by my understanding mention gay male sex and god or some angels destroyed those cities because of that so I guess gay dudes have more to worry about 🤔

As far as stigma?
    I think people pick and choose what they like about their chosen religion and disregard or ignore the rest.

If certain churches accept it then that's fine but that doesn't mean god does.
    (I don't know his personal views on the subject)
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 10:531 edit
    @cheesemaster said
    Well when I read the Bible it says women can lay together but men cannot lay together ...
    (Or maybe I read that in the Quran 🤔)

So lesbians are fine I guess... 😉

Also the shenanigans going on in Sodom and Gemorah (I probably misspelled them)
    Which by my understanding mention gay male sex and god or some angels destroyed those cities because of that so I guess gay ...[text shortened]... t then that's fine but that doesn't mean god does.
    (I don't know his personal views on the subject)
    If lesbians are ok in the Koran than I would like to see that reference, Cheesemaster. [😀]

Just a few comments on your post:
    - All homosexuality is a sin according to God in the bible
    - Religion and churches mean nothing to God. Any group can form a church practice their belief, but it does not mean that God is with them. If the AFA [Association of Fornicators and Adulterers] church meet and encourage their members to feel safe and secure, it does not mean that they will not be condemned when that day arrives.
    - Gods personal views are clearly stated in the bible.
    - The worst sins are not related to sex. God understands that because how he made mankind this weakness was necessary for procreation. Without this sexual desire Gods aim of populating the world with people like the sand of the sea, would fail. Hence David was easily forgiven for his sin of lusting over Bathsheba, and the murder and adultery he committed as a result.

Here is what God hates These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. (Proverbs 6:16-19 KJV)

1. The Proud
    2. Liars
    3. Murderers
    4. Deceivers
    5. Mischief makers
    6. False witnesses {Liars]
    7. Troublemakers

Churches have loads of so called Christians who commit these sins which God hate. Notice nothing related to sex. The sin of sexual misconduct is less serious in the teachings of Christ as well. The Rich Man went to hell for not feeding the poor outside his door. Clearly that sin is greater than homosexuality which Jesus did not bother to mention. However, it does not mean that homosexuality is not a sin. Is is one of the lesser [maybe more forgivable sins] in the bible. The notion that all sins stand on equal footing, an idea promoted by some people, is also nonsense and unbiblical.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 01:33
    @hakima said
    Pre-Covid, I attended a Christian church (although I, myself am not Christian) that has a significant number of members from the LGBTQ community. Although I have not asked them to speak to your specific question regarding the “stigma of sin”, I assume that they take the position of a good number of Christians who view sin as a condition of the state of being human and as such ...[text shortened]... r a person who lives differently than any one of many interpretations of scripture. All are welcome.
    I guess the entire discussion rests on whether or not being gay is considered a sin in the Bible.

If it is, then yes, Jesus will forgive someone if they ask, but.....can they continue in their gay lifestyle? Jesus is likely to require repentance... changing one's ways.

Unless...... a gay Christian believes that it's not a sin, and that Jesus loves them for exactly who they are.

(Some believe that Old Testament condemnation of male homosexuality refers to rape)
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 01:56
    @chaney3 said
    Does anyone know how Christians from the LGBT community get around the stigma of sin that is perceived by most in the Bible?
    Maybe most of them are not overly concerned by the "stigma" perceived by "most". This means they don't have to "get around" it. If they don't believe they will be tortured in burning flames for eternity for their sexuality, then, religious assertions that they will be tortured don't affect the reality of their lives.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 02:18
    @fmf said
    Maybe most of them are not overly concerned by the "stigma" perceived by "most". This means they don't have to "get around" it. If they don't believe they will be tortured in burning flames for eternity for their sexuality, then, religious assertions that they will be tortured don't affect the reality of their lives.
    The point of this thread is to try to find out WHY gay Christians don't believe they are 'sinning', when homosexuality seems frowned upon in the Bible.

(Gay Christians, not gay people. A gay atheist could care less)
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 02:321 edit
    @chaney3 said
    The point of this thread is to try to find out WHY gay Christians don't believe they are 'sinning', when homosexuality seems frowned upon in the Bible.
    Presumably, they see themselves as [1] being the way God created them [2] not engaged in "fornication" and [3] God will judge their hearts and their deeds.

As Pete Buttigieg said to Vice President Mike Pence. If Pence has, he said, "a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me -- your quarrel, sir, is with my creator."
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 02:34
    @chaney3 said
    A gay atheist could care less
    They might care quite a bit about the theology of it if religious ideologues get poliical power and seek to systemize discrimination against gays.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 17:50
    @fmf said
    Presumably, they see themselves as [1] being the way God created them [2] not engaged in "fornication" and [3] God will judge their hearts and their deeds.

As Pete Buttigieg said to Vice President Mike Pence. If Pence has, he said, "a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me -- your quarrel, sir, is with my creator."
    I tend to agree with what you have written here.

In 1 Corinthians 6:9, Paul lists homosexuality as a "wrong" and those who engage in such wrong will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God.

A gay person must ignore Paul, it would seem.
  11. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 22:021 edit
    Like I said...

Religious people pick what they like and ignore what they don't.

Or...they change the interpretation to fit their needs.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 22:52
    @cheesemaster said
    Like I said...

Religious people pick what they like and ignore what they don't.

Or...they change the interpretation to fit their needs.
    You're probably right.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 06:38
    @chaney3 said
    I tend to agree with what you have written here.

In 1 Corinthians 6:9, Paul lists homosexuality as a "wrong" and those who engage in such wrong will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God.

A gay person must ignore Paul, it would seem.
    Paul also said: "Women should remain silent in the churches, They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." -- 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, NIV
  14. Joined
    16 Dec '19
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 12:53
    @suzianne said
    Paul also said: "Women should remain silent in the churches, They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." -- 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, NIV
    Perhaps Paul was addressing what was going on in the church in Corinth specifically. It seems from 1 Cor 1 there were some contentions going on in the church, and likewise 1 Cor 5 sexual immoralities not named even among the gentiles.

Do you think Paul’s admonishments were more for the church of Corinth because of how things had gotten or for the Christian church as a whole? Why/why not?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 14:24
    @vmland said
    Perhaps Paul was addressing what was going on in the church in Corinth specifically. It seems from 1 Cor 1 there were some contentions going on in the church, and likewise 1 Cor 5 sexual immoralities not named even among the gentiles.

Do you think Paul’s admonishments were more for the church of Corinth because of how things had gotten or for the Christian church as a whole? Why/why not?
    In addition to your point about Paul commenting on cultural matters, there is something about Paul that many Christians choose to ignore, and that is that he is not the highest authority on any doctrine. Paul himself said or implied several times that he is presenting his own opinion on an issue and did not receive it from Christ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree