1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 17:28
    We may know that a Creator is responsible for everything, but the Bible tries to tell us who this Creator is.

Yet, many don't believe the stories of the Bible.

Do you really know God?

Is God really jealous? Has regrets?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 17:43
    @chaney3 said
    We may know that a Creator is responsible for everything, but the Bible tries to tell us who this Creator is.

Do you really know God?
    Back at you then, if I may...

Do you “know that a creator is responsible for everything”?

Are you one the this “many (who) don’t believe the stories in the bible”?

Do you “really know god”?

Is (your) god really jealous? Does (your god) “he have regrets”?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 17:49
    @divegeester said
    Back at you then, if I may...

Do you “know that a creator is responsible for everything”?

Are you one the this “many (who) don’t believe the stories in the bible”?

Do you “really know god”?

Is (your) god really jealous? Does (your god) “he have regrets”?
    Forum etiquette requires you to offer your opinion first.

Your only perception of God is given through the Bible.....yet, you won't believe what is written.

Why?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 18:371 edit
    @chaney3 said
    Forum etiquette requires you to offer your opinion first.
    Ok. I have replied to your OP first, as requested.
    Your turn.

I don’t “really” know god. But I’m sure he knows me and I know him a bit.

Yes the bible says that god is a jealous god, no I don’t think he has regrets.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 18:49
    @divegeester said
    Ok. I have replied to your OP first, as requested.
    Your turn.

I don’t “really” know god. But I’m sure he knows me and I know him a bit.

Yes the bible says that god is a jealous god, no I don’t think he has regrets.
    God stated that He regretted mankind, thus destroying them in the Noah flood.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 19:04
    @chaney3 said
    God stated that He regretted mankind, thus destroying them in the Noah flood.
    But, Noah wasn't real. Right?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 21:531 edit
    It’s your turn to answer your own questions, remember...
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '20 22:40
    @chaney3 said

Do you really know God?

Religions are systems of social organization and the personal discipline attendant thereto. People "knowing God" means knowing the particular system, the mythology, the narratives, the traditions etc. The degree to which you or any individual agrees exactly with what is generally believed by those around them is a personal matter. If you have tried to be a member of a particular religion and your head is still folled with the questions you have asked in the OP, maybe you should take a look at some other religions. Just an idea.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 02:23
    @fmf said
    Religions are systems of social organization and the personal discipline attendant thereto. People "knowing God" means knowing the particular system, the mythology, the narratives, the traditions etc. The degree to which you or any individual agrees exactly with what is generally believed by those around them is a personal matter. If you have tried to be a member of a particular ...[text shortened]... stions you have asked in the OP, maybe you should take a look at some other religions. Just an idea.
    That makes sense from an agnostic/atheist or humanist perspective.

But if God is real, then people who acquire religious knowledge (for any system that is right) are attaining knowledge of God.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 02:29
    @philokalia said
    That makes sense from an agnostic/atheist or humanist perspective.
    Yes, thank you. And it's not just bears who poo in the woods; I do sometimes, too.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 02:331 edit
    @philokalia said
    But if God is real, then people who acquire religious knowledge (for any system that is right) are attaining knowledge of God.
    This is a dog bites man post rather than a man bites dog one.

Seeing as we have no way of knowing "if God is real" or whose God figure is real, and all we have to go on is the systems and traditions that various religious groups espouse, then the best theists can do is learn, memorize and internalize whatever their religion claims about its God figure.

There is your "knowledge of God". It comes in many subjective stripes.

Now, there you go, you've got me offering a dog bites man post as well.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 04:00
    I will say that I know that my God is real, and this is through personal experiences that defy any possible explanation. Of course, they are not verifiable, but that's OK.

If you pursue a personal relationship with God with sincerity and humility, maybe such events can happen for you as well.

I cannot operate in a way that I believe God is not a certainty.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 04:05
    @philokalia said
    If you pursue a personal relationship with God with sincerity and humility, maybe such events can happen for you as well.
    chaney3 has been given this kind of advice countless times. I think he just likes to get the attention of Christians by starting countless threads on how he isn't a Christian, or he is almost a Christian, or he would maybe be a Christian if it were not for X or for Y or for Z blah blah blah. He reminds me of the Nyborgs [and how they "just like talking to salesmen"] in Glengarry Glen Ross.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 04:071 edit
    @philokalia said
    I will say that I know that my God is real, and this is through personal experiences that defy any possible explanation. Of course, they are not verifiable, but that's OK.
    Anybody from any religion on any continent or from any culture at any point in history can make any claim of this kind they want about whatever their religion happens to be.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 04:111 edit
    @philokalia said
    I cannot operate in a way that I believe God is not a certainty.
    This reminds me of what I say to posters like SecondSon who go on and on and on and on about how the various tenets of their faith and all the beliefs they base on their speculation about supernatural things are all "objective truths".

I suggest they stop flogging that dead horse and do as I did when I was a Christian: act upon my beliefs AS IF they were objective truths, while not falling into the trap of oozing self-centred rhetoric about how "objective" my own certainty about my own faith makes my "knowledge" about God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree