1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 00:59
    Most have you have read the story of John the Baptist in your holy book. Jesus guy walking down the road and sees his cuz , John, baptizing people in a river. Jesus guy decides to be baptized by his cuz, the sky opens up and affirmation from a loud voice from above is heard. Did you ever wonder why John the Baptist never became an apostle or disciple or anything else in the Jesus guy cult ? He is presented as a believer, but is absent from future writings . The answer is that John the Baptist had his own separate cult and apparently Jesus guy was baptized into it. The John the Baptist cult went on for several centuries after he lost his head. John the Baptist was never a follower of Jesus guy. Jesus guy never admonishes John as a "false messiah" in your story. How quaint.
    Come on sonship, give us all some bible verses to explain this.
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 01:06
    @caissad4 said
    Most have you have read the story of John the Baptist in your holy book. Jesus guy walking down the road and sees his cuz , John, baptizing people in a river. Jesus guy decides to be baptized by his cuz, the sky opens up and affirmation from a loud voice from above is heard. Did you ever wonder why John the Baptist never became an apostle or disciple or anything else in the ...[text shortened]... messiah" in your story. How quaint.
    Come on sonship, give us all some bible verses to explain this.
    John 1:15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’&rdquo😉

John 1:19 Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20 He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.”

John 3:22 After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized. 24 (This was before John was put in prison.) 25 An argument developed between some of John’s disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing. 26 They came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan—the one you testified about—look, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him.”
    27 To this John replied, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. 28 You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’ 29 The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30 He must become greater; I must become less.”

This is what happens when you don't read the source material for yourself. You end up shooting from the hip, lifting arguments from someone smarter than you (but still dumb) and looking like a dumb dumb.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 01:18
    @darfius said
    John 1:15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’&rdquo😉

John 1:19 Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20 He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messia ...[text shortened]... hip, lifting arguments from someone smarter than you (but still dumb) and looking like a dumb dumb.
    Quoting from suspect material does not change that John the Baptist was never a follower of Jesus guy and his cult was active for several centuries.
    Historians agree that book of John had at least 2 different authors (probably 3) and could not possibly be written by an illiterate fisherman who spoke no Greek.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 01:48
    The "cult" you're referring to was a Gnostic offshoot that existed before John and used him as legitimizing cover in a Christianizing Roman empire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeans

Not sanctioned by John.

As for the Gospel of John, here is what Wiki has to say:
    "There may have been a single author for the gospel and the three epistles."
    "Most scholars agree that all three letters are written by the same author, although there is debate on who that author is. Although some scholars conclude the author of the epistles was different from that of the gospel, all four works probably originated from the same community, traditionally and plausibly attributed to Ephesus, c. 90-110, but perhaps, according to some scholars, from Syria."
    "Some scholars, however, argue that the apostle John wrote none of these works, although others, notably J. A. T. Robinson, F. F. Bruce, Leon Morris, and Martin Hengel hold the apostle to be behind at least some, in particular the gospel."

That's pretty far removed from your "historians agree that he did not write it" nonsense, which was dishonest, but you're atheist, so that's redundant. There is evidence within the Gospel itself that John was from a priestly family (he had familiarity with the high priest), and as such, would have been literate.

I'd say nice try, but this was sloppy. You and I know you weren't trying to do anything honest or helpful here, but now your audience won't even be able to believe that you were, which image is all you can ever muster yourself to consider, having no conscience of your own to contend with.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 02:54
    @darfius said
    (he had familiarity with the high priest),
    ... and still it goes on.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 03:082 edits
    @caissad4

Forget about you understanding the Bible. I am still trying to figure out what kind of uncouth juvenile human being writes things like this in a Spirituality discussion forum (or any for that matter).
    And would like the medium urine drink or would you like to super-size it.

You first may have to graduate to the level of a troll to dignify discussion with you.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 03:52
    @sonship said
    @caissad4

Forget about you understanding the Bible. I am still trying to figure out what kind of uncouth juvenile human being writes things like this in a Spirituality discussion forum (or any for that matter).

You first may have to graduate to the level of a troll to dignify discussion with you.
    Oh, the irony.

You have, on several occasions, likened humanist ideas to "eating faeces" and to an "unclean dog spreading germs".

Are you an "uncouth juvenile human being"?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 04:312 edits
    @FMF
    Oh, the irony.

You have, on several occasions, likened humanist ideas to "eating faeces" and to an "unclean dog spreading germs".

I was expecting your response.
    Yea, I can write junk juvenile things too at times.

I made a comment about a Scripture about comparing inferior things to Christ was and should be discarded as dung or faeces.

But I did not say "Here would you like some? Big portion or small ?"

9. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 05:171 edit
    @sonship said
    @FMF
    Oh, the irony.

I made a comment about a Scripture about comparing inferior things to Christ was and s ...[text shortened]... ?"

Since you appear to endorse the clear demeaning post towards women to which I was responding I would place you in the same category as the poster. And I can only say "Would you like the same order as your women hating friend ?" "Maybe you two would like a private booth ."
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 05:24
    @sonship said
    @FMF
    Oh, the irony.

I suppose "becoming like Jesus", as you claim you are, doesn't prevent you from being an unapologetic hypocrite.
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 15:20
    @caissad4 said
    Since you appear to endorse the clear demeaning post towards women to which I was responding I would place you in the same category as the poster. And I can only say "Would you like the same order as your women hating friend ?" "Maybe you two would like a private booth ."
    I don't hate women. They're so pretty and at times they can be quite compassionate. And the one I fancy in particular is brilliant, so she has that going for her, too.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 17:47
    @sonship said
    @caissad4

I thought you had been waiting for more women to post in this forum? Since saying that you have only posted rudely to new female arrivals.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 21:02
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I thought you had been waiting for more women to post in this forum? Since saying that you have only posted rudely to new female arrivals.
    Guess they have to earn it. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree