USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '22 21:28
    There such a thing as natural law?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Sep '22 23:47
    This smacks of another one of KellyJay’s “my opinions aren’t opinions, they are truth” threads.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 01:45
    @kellyjay said
    Whether our consciences were created by some kind of entity and morals in orbit of the "Golden Rule" were installed in humans - and we call that "natural law" - or whether our moral imperatives evolved in us as a communal species because of our cognitive capacities and our survival instinct - and we call that "natural law" - I don't really see how these scenarios are affected by the terminology we attach to them.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 03:43
    @kellyjay said
    Assuming you use the standard definition. "A body of unchanging moral principles regarded as a basis for all human conduct" I say "yes" there is such a thing. As I posted here a short time ago:

Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. Romans 2:14-15 🙂
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 03:59
    @mchill said
    Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. Romans 2:14-15 🙂
    I am not sure what your analysis is worth. Here's what you said a week or two ago:

People come to believe that because God wrote the law on their hearts, people who have never read the Bible instinctively know there is a God.

Ludicrous.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 04:052 edits
    @mchill said

Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. Romans 2:14-15
    Yes, he is speaking about Gentiles, not Christians specifically.

“…for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.”

Absolutely, the general non-biblical term is referred to as “using one’s moral compass”.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 12:111 edit
    @fmf said
    I am not sure what your analysis is worth. Here's what you said a week or two ago:

People come to believe that because God wrote the law on their hearts, people who have never read the Bible instinctively know there is a God.

Ludicrous.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, I would point out however that there are several billion people on this planet (myself included) who do not.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 12:24
    @divegeester said
    Yes, he is speaking about Gentiles, not Christians specifically.

“…for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.”

Absolutely, the general non-biblical term is referred to as “using one’s moral compass”.
    He was speaking about Gentiles, who didn't know the law of God as the Jews did.
    It was the Jews who had the law of God, hand delivered by God or written down
    by those God gave it to. An intrinsic value system everyone has would be one's
    moral compass I'd agree.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 17:13
    @kellyjay said
    He was speaking about Gentiles, who didn't know the law of God as the Jews did.
    No, that’s not what the scripture says kellyjay.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 17:30
    @divegeester said
    No, that’s not what the scripture says kellyjay.
    Quote it to me dive!
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 17:49
    @kellyjay said
    Quote it to me dive!
    Mchill already has.

As you like to say to me… “try to keep up” 😉
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '22 19:17
    @divegeester said
    Mchill already has.

As you like to say to me… “try to keep up” 😉
    I see the wording supporting what I say, not what you do, so this is another example
    of you casting your opinion as if it's the gospel truth while you ignore the gospel?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '22 03:36
    @kellyjay said
    What's your answer to this question?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '22 04:542 edits
    @kellyjay said
    I see the wording supporting what I say, not what you do, so this is another example
    of you casting your opinion as if it's the gospel truth while you ignore the gospel?
    Romans 2:14-15
    New King James Version
    Here’s the scripture under discussion and which we are referring to:

Romans 2 14-15
    …for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them

Where does this scripture support your claim that these specific gentiles did not know the law as well as the Jews? THESE gentiles we are talking about, the ones with “God’s law written on their hearts”.

By the way … I know exactly what your motivation is for you wanting to infer that the Jews has some knowledge of the law other than what these gentiles had who had the law of God written on their hearts!
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '22 09:56
    @divegeester said
    Romans 2:14-15
    New King James Version
    Here’s the scripture under discussion and which we are referring to:

[i]Romans 2 14-15
    …for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and b ...[text shortened]... wledge of the law other than what these gentiles had who had the law of God written on their hearts!
    Did you even read the quote? Who is He talking to, those that had the law, and
    who did He reference as those that didn't, "...for when Gentiles." Are you so blind
    that even when you quote these words you still don't see them?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree