1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 02:07
    If there is evil.
    Does that change anything in the world, or how we look at anything?

If there is no evil.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 02:22
    @kellyjay said
    @kellyjay said
    Is there such a thing as evil?

To avoid confusion, the word "evil" is probably best used as an adjective rather than a noun.

It's not a 'thing' that exists or that was instituted by some kind of an evil being ~ or at least, I've seen no credible evidence that that is so.

The word "evil" is best used simply an adjective that is more loaded up with disapproval than the word "bad".

"Evil" refers to certain kinds of morally unsound behaviour. I believe it is a social construct, not a supernatural one, even if many humans do superimpose supernatural notions onto the concept in their efforts to make sense of the human condition.

I would suggest that "evil" is egregious immorality ~ as already defined in umpteen other discussions ~ and gratuitous, sociopathic action that is gravely detrimental and/or damaging to others, and which stems from an abject lack or even absence of empathy and compassion.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 02:37
    @kellyjay said
    If there is evil.

If there is no evil.
    If your belief in "Satan" and your belief in your Christian God figure are the only things that stand between you and the doing of "evil" things, so be it.

I welcome the effects your beliefs have on you, if that is the case.

You complicate the issue, however, by constantly referring to yourself as "evil and wicked" which I have no reason to believe you are.

Your religious beliefs are an example of something you have absorbed from your human environment (nurture) and they combine with your individual human character/spirit (nature) to form your unique moral compass which is what governs your interactions with others.

If your moral compass tells you that you are "evil and wicked" [and, as you have claimed, you deserve to be tortured by your 'maker' blah blah blah], that's OK, but it seems to me to rather disqualify you as a commentator on the meaning of "evil".

It reminds me of how Fetchmyjunk insisted for months and months that 'getting angry with your brother' was equally as "evil" as exterminating 6,000,000 Jews.

Yeah, right, who's going to refer to a crank who believes something like that to tell us what the word "evil" means, having rinsed it of all practical meaning through some boggle-eyed ejaculation of dogma?

The notion ~ your notion, in fact ~ that every human being is "evil and wicked" and therefore deserves to be tortured by their creator being after they die, makes you sound a bit like a crank too.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 02:47
    If I have presented you with some ideas and observations in answer to the question "Is there such a thing as evil?" that you are intellectually or emotionally unable to cope with or respond to, perhaps you should just ignore them or address them while pretending to talk to a different poster, as is often your way. You should post as you see fit.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 02:49
    @kellyjay said
    If there is evil.
    Of course, people do "evil" things. How each of us looks at it depends on the moral compass that each of us has.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 02:52
    @kellyjay said
    If there is no evil.
    "No evil"?

I have never met anyone who believes that there aren't any people who do "evil" things. If you have met someone who believes there is "no evil", why not share some of the things they said about it.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 05:46
    @kellyjay said
    If there is evil.

If there is no evil.
    Can you first define “evil” in the context of how you are using it in your OP please?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 10:29
    @divegeester said
    Can you first define “evil” in the context of how you are using it in your OP please?
    If you feel I’ve not spoken the truth then you need to demonstrate how.

For example your question above. It is a deflection. It is untruthful in character. That you should need for "evil" to be defined to you regardless of the context in which it appears simply means you wouldn't know what "good" means in whatever context it appears either.

How can you speak truthfully with a bellyful of disingenuous guile?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 13:46
    @secondson said
    For example your question above. It is a deflection. It is untruthful in character. That you should need for "evil" to be defined to you regardless of the context in which it appears simply means you wouldn't know what "good" means in whatever context it appears either.
    The nature, source and definition of "evil" is much debated. And in good faith and honestly too. Asking the OP poster to define "evil" can't be described as a "deflection" on a thread with the title "Is there such a thing as evil?"
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 14:58
    @fmf said
    The nature, source and definition of "evil" is much debated. And in good faith and honestly too. Asking the OP poster to define "evil" can't be described as a "deflection" on a thread with the title "Is there such a thing as evil?"
    Your post too is a deflection. If the question is, "is there such a thing as evil", then the answer is either yes or no, and not all this hodgepodge deflectioning about definitions of something as simple a concept as evil.

It's a no-brainer, if it ain't good, then it's evil.
  11. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 19:33
    @kellyjay said
    If there is evil.

If there is no evil.
    No and Yes.
    There's only action-reaction; the laws of nature and the laws of physics.

Examples:
    1. Having slaves is bad for the slaves but good for the master; that is, until the slaves rise up and kill the master.

2. Your son kills his classmate Jack. It's revealed that Jack bullied and tortured your son for months. Then it's revealed that Jack was an unwanted, unloved child abused by his parents which twisted his mind into a sociopath. Then it's revealed that Jack's parents were addicted to nasty drugs and deprived of a healthy life.

3. You lose your home due to excessive taxes. You then move into a tent and try to grow your own food, but are arrested for trespassing on government land without a license, and the state takes your child. Then your attempt to rescue your child turns violent and you get a 30 year prison sentence.

4. A powerful country has been exploiting and starving your people for years. After your loved ones die, you get angry, assemble an atomic bomb, and use it on your enemy in pure revenge.

Now where is the good and evil? It's all about action and consequences. Whatever belief, decision or action is taken will have a certain reaction or consequence. It's that simple.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 20:44
    @bunnyknight said
    No and Yes.

Examples:
    1. Having slaves is bad for the slaves but good for the master; that is, until the slaves rise up and kill the master.

2. Your son kills his classmate Jack. It's revealed that Jack bullied and tortured your son for months. Then it's revealed that Jack was an unwant ...[text shortened]... belief, decision or action is taken will have a certain reaction or consequence. It's that simple.
    Deflecting, over-complicating and relativizing what evil is.

Evil, relative to the supernatural, and discussions within the context of this spirituality forum, has to do with that which is morally reprehensible. What is evil is morally corrupt. What is evil is defined by and through its association to morality.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 20:56
    @secondson said

It's a no-brainer, if it ain't good, then it's evil.
    I wasn't particularly good today. I jumped the queue in the supermarket and lied to my manager about why I was late back from lunch.

Was I evil today?

(The above scenario is completely fictitious).
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 21:59
    @bunnyknight said
    No and Yes.

Examples:

2. Your son kills his classmate Jack. It's revealed that Jack bullied and tortured your son for months. Then it's revealed that Jack was an unwant ...[text shortened]... belief, decision or action is taken will have a certain reaction or consequence. It's that simple.
    Examples, but what is it? I can see examples of gravity in what it does, that does not tell me what gravity is. How do you know these are real examples of evil? What if they are just normal behavior among people dancing to their own DNA? Don't you need to know what it is to define it, I can like green over blue that doesn't make blue evil.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 23:37
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I wasn't particularly good today. I jumped the queue in the supermarket and lied to my manager about why I was late back from lunch.

Was I evil today?

(The above scenario is completely fictitious).
    No that is mostly just being sinful. Yes you did it on purpose but it's not being evil to anyone. But the key word with sin and it getting into a danger zone so to say is when one practices or makes it a normal way of their life. This is where it gets to crossing the line that Jehovah will not forgive your sins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree