1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '21 21:55
    Or do you interpret “miracles” differently to the Bible?
  2. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    28 Sep '21 23:54
    it's a miracle that you're still here
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '21 06:06
    @lemondrop said
    it's a miracle that you're still here
    What are your thoughts on miracles as described in the Bible, the proclamations made by various people in the Bible about miracles and the apparent dearth of miracles in the contemporary world?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Sep '21 16:08
    @divegeester said
    What are your thoughts on miracles as described in the Bible, the proclamations made by various people in the Bible about miracles and the apparent dearth of miracles in the contemporary world?
    I get the impression from peoples reports and comments that miracles are alive and well in all these churches. They claim to have the Holy Spirit, they speak in tongues, they prophesy, they heal the sick, the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk. They are all saved and they all have eternal life. Have you not heard all those reports?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '21 21:16
    @rajk999 said
    I get the impression from peoples reports and comments that miracles are alive and well in all these churches. They claim to have the Holy Spirit, they speak in tongues, they prophesy, they heal the sick, the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk. They are all saved and they all have eternal life. Have you not heard all those reports?
    Of his own miracles, Jesus said to his followers:

“Greater things than these you will do”
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    29 Sep '21 21:21
    heel just one amputee you bastards
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Sep '21 22:37
    @divegeester said
    Of his own miracles, Jesus said to his followers:

“Greater things than these you will do”
    Well, somebody is lying, or maybe they doing things that nobody is seeing
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    30 Sep '21 04:30
    @divegeester
    By ancient standards, we have miracles all around us.

If an ancient priest saw your smart phone he'd call it a miracle.
    If he saw you land in a helicopter he'd call it a visit from a God.
    If he saw you shoot a rifle he'd call you an angel of death.
    etc .... etc ....

.... and you'd most likely wind up the subject in one of the Bible chapters.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Sep '21 21:212 edits
    When Jesus predicted that His disciples would do greater things, this "greater" according to who?

Jesus walked on water. Yes. If Peter walks four feet ABOVE water, how do you know that is "greater works" according to the priorities of Jesus?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 06:44
    @rajk999 said
    Well, somebody is lying, or maybe they doing things that nobody is seeing
    You don’t believe the “words of Jesus”?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 06:46
    @sonship said
    When Jesus predicted that His disciples would do greater things, this "greater" according to who?

Jesus walked on water. Yes. If Peter walks four feet ABOVE water, how do you know that is "greater works" according to the priorities of Jesus?
    Why would anyone need to know if the miracle occurring today was “greater” than the miracle which occurred 2000 years ago?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 06:47
    @bunnyknight said
    @divegeester
    By ancient standards, we have miracles all around us.

If an ancient priest saw your smart phone he'd call it a miracle.
    If he saw you land in a helicopter he'd call it a visit from a God.
    If he saw you shoot a rifle he'd call you an angel of death.
    etc .... etc ....

.... and you'd most likely wind up the subject in one of the Bible chapters.
    Based on your analogy, what then were the miracles which Jesus performed?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 18:382 edits
    @divegeester said
    People back then didn't understand what they were seeing and so described their experiences as being caused by miracles. The same thing happens today but the educated among us understand that those people are mistaken.

Was the Great Flood a miracle i.e. sent by God to destroy all human life on earth? No, it was global warming causing the flooding of what is now the Persian Gulf which at the time was the center of civilization called Eden.

http://ldolphin.org/eden/

Pagans did the same thing. The great dragon Typhon was the eruption of the Thera volcano. The legend of Zeus defeating him was based on observance of volcanic lightning and the eventual end of the eruption.

Want to turn water to wine? Pour brandy in it.

Want to call down fire on your enemies like Elijah? Dump flammable chemicals like napalm on them. Alchemy was known to the Jews very early and it could have been a secret among them even longer than we know.
  14. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 18:42
    @divegeester said
    Based on your analogy, what then were the miracles which Jesus performed?
    I wasn't there when Jesus did all that 'miraculous' stuff, so how could I possibly know?
    But what I do know is that I've never seen a truly magical miracle yet, but I have seen people exaggerate, deceive, lie, have hallucinations, or simply come up with false conclusions.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '21 03:54
    @bunnyknight
    I’m already aware that you don’t believe in miracles or the spiritual, thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree