@fmf said
    You are what you post.
    C'est la vie.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 12:216 edits
    Young's Literal Translation
    In that day there is a fountain opened To the house of David And to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, For sin and for impurity.
    Zech. 13:1

Some Commentaries:

GIll's Study Bible
    In that day there {a} shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.
    (a) He shows what will be the fruit of their repentance, that is, remission of sins by the blood of Christ, which will be a continual running fountain, and purge them from all uncleanness.

EXEGETICAL (ORIGINAL LANGUAGES)
    Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
    1. In that day] The day, or period, so often mentioned before (Zechariah 12:3-4; Zechariah 12:6; Zechariah 12:8-9; Zechariah 12:11), in which this whole prophecy shall be fulfilled.

a fountain opened … for sin and for uncleanness] The form of the promise is Jewish, the substance Christian. For the lustral waters of the Law, the “water of sin” (Numbers 8:7) and the “water of uncleanness” (Numbers 19:9, where the word is the same as here, though rendered, “water of separation,” A. V. and R. V.), which were contained and renewed in bowl or laver, and which did but “sanctify to the purifying of the flesh,” shall be substituted the living fountain of the Gospel, opened once but remaining open ever (comp. θύρα ἠνεῳγμένη Revelation 4:1), which “purges the conscience from dead works to serve the living God.” (Hebrews 9:13-14; 1 John 1:7.)

Matthew Henry Commentary

Verses 1-6. - § 3. This repentance will lead to purification from past defilement, and a reaction against idolatry and false prophet. Verse 1. - In that day. At the time when the great mourning (ch. 12.) takes place, or, more generally, in the Messianic period, when all these things shall be fulfilled. Shall be a fountain opened, etc. Shall be opened and continue open. The allusion is to the lustral rites practised in the consecration of the Levites, who were to have "water of sin" sprinkled on them, and to "the water of separation," or "water of uncleanness" (the word found in our passage), used for purposes of legal purification (see Numbers 8:7; Numbers 19:9). Instead of this merely ceremonial cleansing, there should be in the Christian Church the cleansing of the soul by the blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:2; 1 John 1:7). Septuagint, Ασται πᾶς τόπος διανοιγόμενος, "Every place shall he opened." The house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem represent the whole nation, as in Zechariah 12:10; the cleansing is as universal as the sin (see the announcement in Ezekiel 36:25; Ezekiel 47:1-12; Joel 3:18). For sin and for uncleanness. The latter word is used for the separation on account of uncleanness (Leviticus 15:20, etc.); and the two terms together comprise all guilt and pollution.

Shall be a fountain opened, etc. Shall be opened and continue open. The allusion is to the lustral rites practised in the consecration of the Levites, who were to have "water of sin" sprinkled on them, and to "the water of separation," or "water of uncleanness" (the word found in our passage), used for purposes of legal purification (see Numbers 8:7; Numbers 19:9). Instead of this merely ceremonial cleansing, there should be in the Christian Church the cleansing of the soul by the blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:2; 1 John 1:7).

Matthew Henry Commentary
    This fountain opened is the pierced side of Christ. We are all as an unclean thing. Behold a fountain opened for us to wash in, and streams flowing to us from that fountain. The blood of Christ, and God's pardoning mercy in that blood, made known in the new covenant, are a fountain always flowing, that never can be emptied. It is opened for all believers, who as the spiritual seed of Christ, are of the house of David, and, as living members of the church, are inhabitants of Jerusalem. Christ, by the power of his grace, takes away the dominion of sin, even of beloved sins. Those who are washed in the fountain opened, as they are justified, so they are sanctified.

Benson Commentary
    When the Lamb of God shall be offered up a sacrifice for mankind, and the gospel shall be preached, in which the glad tidings of our redemption are published. This seems to be a continuation of the prophecy begun at the ninth verse of the preceding chapter; and the meaning to be that, through the atoning sacrifice of the Messiah, the repentance and humiliation there described should be accepted of God, and followed with a full pardon and gracious communication of sanctifying grace to the penitent. There shall be a fountain opened — “The blood of Christ, which cleanseth from all sin, (1 John 1:7,)

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
    In that day; when the Lamb of God shall be offered up a sacrifice for mankind, and the gospel shall be preached in which the glad tidings of our redemption are published.

A fountain: by water and ceremonial washings was legal pollution in many cases purged away, and much of the legal service stood in divers washings; but all these were shadows and types; here is that they typified, the matchless healing and purging fountain, i.e. the blood of Christ; here is the true Siloam, which never failed to heal any that rightly used it; it is Christ.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
    and so Abendana, who compares it with Isaiah 2:3 but rather it should be understood of the preaching of the Gospel, and the administration of Gospel ordinances; though better of Christ himself, the fountain of gardens, and of living waters, from whose pierced side, of whom mention is made as pierced in the preceding chapter Zechariah 12:10, sprung blood and water; blood for justification, remission, and cleansing, and water for sanctification: and best of all of his blood particularly, called a "fountain", not so much for the quantity of blood shed, as for its full virtue and efficacy to answer the purposes for which it was shed; it being the blood not only of man, and of an innocent man, but of the Son of God; and may be said to be "opened", because of its continued virtue to cleanse from sin; it is not sealed, but opened, and always stands open; there is no hinderance or obstruction in coming to it; not the meanness or poverty of persons, they that have no money may come to these waters; nor their sinfulness, even though they are the chief of sinners; nor their being of this and the other nation, it is exposed to all; to all that...
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 22:401 edit
    Derek Prince speaks of depression from demon oppression and delivery through Christ.

Some people, who suffer from depression need to know this.
    Not all, but some cases of oppression of mood and emotion are concerning demonology and "a spirit of heaviness".

Demons are as Real as you are and this is what you Need To Know about them

YouTube
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 07:44
    You are error again sonship. There is no mention of a “fountain of blood” scripture. I suggest you stop lifting other people’s ideas and using them in this forum before you’ve checked them out.

Tell you what I’ll do for you; send me your stuff by PM and I’ll have a look over it and tell you what obviously error and then you can post it, hows that?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 07:46
    @sonship said
    Derek Prince speaks of depression from demon oppression and delivery through Christ.

Some people, who suffer from depression need to know this.
    Not all, but some cases of oppression of mood and emotion are concerning demonology and "a spirit of heaviness".

Demons are as Real as you are and this is what you Need To Know about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRbpQ3nD9H4
    So Christians who commit suicide are “shortsighted” and those with depression are “demon possessed”?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 07:52
    The bible does not contain a reference to a “fountain of blood”.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '18 10:093 edits
    @divegeester

I, along with a number of commentators, would consider the pierced side of Jesus on the cross a "fountain of blood".

But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water. (John 19:34)

Some of us who have been cleansed from our sins find this certainly to be "a fountain filled with blood" or "a fountain of blood". And we would consider it definitely "drawn from Emmanuel's veins".

It is definitely for sinners "an opened fountain ... for sin and for impurity." (Zechariah 13:1)

Do you have no appreciation for the redemptive blood of Christ to cleanse sinners from their sins ?

The Bible mentions specifically "faith in His blood"

" [Christ] Whom God set forth as a propitiation place through faith in His blood, ..." (See Rom. 3:25)
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '18 10:371 edit
    Down through the centuries Christians have rejoiced in being cleansed from their sins in the blood of Jesus.

The hymn says "And sinners plunged beneath the flood and lose all their guity stain."

What kind of knit picking complaining Christian would point out that the Bible never specifically says anyone plunges in physically over their head in a pool of blood.

The poetic utterance is based on the joy of redemption, We think of "plunge" perhaps because the many sins are so heavy upon us what else can we do (figuratively).

At any rate, I hardly am not going to stop SINGING about the fountain filled with blood drawn from the veins of "God With Us" - Emmanuel - the Son of God - Jesus Christ.

And that fountain opened for sin and impurity rushed out of His pierced side on the cross of Calvary.

It is interesting that John put his personal seal of witness upon it, as to mean it was of utmost importance to the Gospel message.

But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water.

And he hwo hasseen this has testified, And his testimony is true; and he knows that he says what is true, that you also may believe." (John 19:34,35)

It sounds like it was critical that John put his personal seal of witness to this matter. On many other matters in this Gospel he does not speak this way. But in the blood and water streaming from the pierced side of the Son of God as a fountain, he DOES.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '18 10:532 edits
    @divegeester

I suggest you stop lifting other people’s ideas and using them in this forum before you’ve checked them out.

Your advice is pretty useless in this regard.
    What? Not praise God for the fountain of redemption from the incarnated Son of God ?

No wonder you're ashamed of placing up any Statement of Faith from those with whom you meet>

What is wrong with Christians speaking together with one mind and one mouth? If it is according to the truth we are instructed to do so.

"That with one accord you may with one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Rom. 15:6)

Maybe you should try reading the Bible more often.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '18 11:083 edits
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

I suggest you stop lifting other people’s ideas and using them in this forum before you’ve checked them out.
    On another thread you wrote -

I look back now at that moment as one of those “sliding doors” events. What if? I guess it wouldn’t matter much; I wouldn’t have met my wife, wouldn’t have led the life I’ve led, wouldn’t have travelled, wouldn’t have become Christian.

I wonder if I would have gone to hell to meet Jesus and be burned alive for eternity. That would seem unfair wouldn’t it? If the rear wheel on my GSX 250 had seized up I would have gone to hell, but it didn’t and so I will be in heaven.

Sounds like you're jumping on a bandwagon of religious expressions without much real examination of the Bible.

Where does it promise you that you are going to heaven for your everlasting destiny.

Did you "check out" such ideas carefully in the Scripture? Or are you just lazily lifting other people's ideas without verification?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 13:291 edit
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

I, along with a number of commentators, would consider the pierced side of Jesus on the cross a "fountain of blood".

But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water. (John 19:34)

Some of us ...[text shortened]... d set forth as a propitiation place through faith in His blood, ..." (See Rom. 3:25) [/b] [/quote]
    There is no “fountain of blood” in scripture.

You’ve once again lifted someone else’s idea and been caught in error.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 15:061 edit
    @sonship
    Correcting my sloppy typos this should read -

And he [who has seen] this has testified, And his testimony is true; and he knows that he says what is true, that you also may believe." (John 19:34,35)
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 15:091 edit
    @divegeester

You’ve once again lifted someone else’s idea and been caught in error.

Do you believe that all lifting of ideas from the Bible stated by someone before you is ipso facto error ?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 15:12
    Divegeester, Let's get this settled first.

Do you believe it is intrinsically erroneous to repeat what someone else before you said about Scripture ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree