1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 19:45
    @suzianne said
    "Universe" IS a collective noun, as is "flock" and "population". The members do not have to be identical, nor does there have to be "more than one" of them.

Is English your second language? It's like I'm talking to RJHinds all over again.
    Universe is not a collective noun, which makes it clear that the person who approved of your post is not only as ignorant as you, but as careless of the truth.

From https://www.englishgrammar.org/collective-nouns/:

A collective noun denotes a collection of people, things, animals, emotions or concepts considered as a single whole.

What, pray, is the universe a "collection" of?

From https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/grammar-vocabulary/story/collective-nouns-305462-2016-01-25:

Collective nouns are considered a subset of countable nouns because they refer to a group of countable nouns as a single unit. Examples: there are 12 eggs in dozen, and there are 52 cards in a deck.

What is universe counting?

This is as differentiated from:

Mass nouns, also referred to as non-countable nouns, signify unbounded amounts, such as liquid, small objects, and abstract or immeasurable concepts. Examples: water, rice, education.

The universe is clearly a mass noun and not a collective noun.

If English is your first language, you're just dumb.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:04
    @darfius said
    An eternal being must exist to explain existence in general. "God" is the easiest label for this being, because the Christian idea of God includes the traits this eternal being must possess: omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence...and His Son is His exact image, but is the infinite made finite enough to interact with finite beings like us.

"The physical Universe is defi ...[text shortened]... niverse". It is a catchall title for "all" the objects which exist, not an entity in its own right.
    The Trinity (which I assume you believe in) supports the notion of three persons in the Godhead. That's 3 persons, but 1 entity (God).

Similarly, the universe is made up of 3 types of substance: normal matter, dark matter and dark energy, and yet remains 1 entity. (The universe).
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:09
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The Trinity (which I assume you believe in) supports the notion of three persons in the Godhead. That's 3 persons, but 1 entity (God).

Similarly, the universe is made up of 3 types of substance: normal matter, dark matter and dark energy, and yet remains 1 entity. (The universe).
    If by universe you mean everything that exists, you are saying that everything that exists is one thing. Nonsensical when properly phrased.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:19
    @darfius said
    If by universe you mean everything that exists, you are saying that everything that exists is one thing. Nonsensical when properly phrased.
    Nope, he's not saying that at all.

Can you read? Or do you just post, and everyone else be damned?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:31
    @suzianne said
    Nope, he's not saying that at all.

Can you read? Or do you just post, and everyone else be damned?
    What she said.
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:34
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    What she said.
    She's too stupid and contrarian for me to address, but are you saying that you do *not* define the universe as "everything which exists"?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 21:36
    @darfius said
    She's too stupid and contrarian for me to address, but are you saying that you do *not* define the universe as "everything which exists"?
    Suzianne is a million miles from stupid.

I have made my point clearly. The universe is composed of normal matter, dark matter and dark energy. Do you dispute this?
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 21:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Suzianne is a million miles from stupid.

I have made my point clearly. The universe is composed of normal matter, dark matter and dark energy. Do you dispute this?
    Ah, so you've chosen avoidance. Alrighty then.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 21:51
    @darfius said
    Ah, so you've chosen avoidance. Alrighty then.
    Did you disappear previously from this site due to an implosion into silliness?

How is me answering your question avoidance? Everything in existence is made up of matter, dark matter and dark energy. How else will you have me say it? Standing on my head?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 21:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

How is me answering your question avoidance? Everything in existence is made up of matter, dark matter and dark energy. How else will you have me say it? Standing on my head?
    Please take pictures actually a video would be nice! 😉
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 22:01
    @kellyjay said
    Alas, I'm off to bed.

😆
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 22:29
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

"everything in existence" to quote you, is not a single thing. Therefore there is no single thing (universe) which can be said to be self-existent. I expect your conversion on my desk in the morning. Unless you're willing to keep lying to yourself and everyone else while avoiding the truth that is plainly seen, which would be no surprise, having had so little integrity as to be an atheist in the first place.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 23:36
    @darfius said
    Again, that's not what he said.

Please, man, like RJHinds before you, you're giving Christianity a bad name.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 23:37
    @kellyjay said
    Because, yeah, words are hard.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 23:45
    @darfius said
    "everything in existence" to quote you, is not a single thing. Therefore there is no single thing (universe) which can be said to be self-existent. I expect your conversion on my desk in the morning. Unless you're willing to keep lying to yourself and everyone else while avoiding the truth that is plainly seen, which would be no surprise, having had so little integrity as to be an atheist in the first place.
    When you start with a bad 'given', your argument is always going to be crap.

"Everything in existence" IS a single thing. It's called "the universe". Singular.

Just wondering, do you say, "The universe IS..." or do you say, "The universe ARE..."?

And btw, questioning the integrity of the Ghost is just the wrong road to go down, atheist or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree