1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 04:59
    ...I just don't believe there are any gods.

Why should I define myself, or label myself, based on a lack of belief? That doesn't tell you much about my outlook on things.

I should probably start by stating some positive beliefs I hold. Then you lot are free to guess at what label may apply.

* I believe that moral perfection is unattainable. A more realistic goal is: be the best version of yourself. Learn from your mistakes, without beating yourself up too much.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 05:04
    @BigDoggProblem
    I am not an atheist, I just don't believe there are any gods. Why should I define myself, or label myself, based on a lack of belief? That doesn't tell you much about my outlook on things.

The terms "atheist" and "agnostic" serve a reasonable purpose when talking to a "theist" and for those reading the exchanges.

The idea that the term "atheist" bestows upon the person it is attached to a certain unified or monolithic "outlook on things" is a rhetorical gimmick used by theists to set up whatever strawmen and generalizations they feel they need when talking to "atheists" and "agnostics".
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 05:113 edits
    @BigDoggProblem
    I went to a local college that some might have called a commuter school.

I never got the idea from that experience that I should try to school other people into becoming more pernicious and malicious.

Obviously (I hope) not directed your way, but only toward a small number of yapping, would-be vicious mutts.

Should we treat them as rabid and put them down, or wrong-headed and try to bring them along? I don't know.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 06:09
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I believe that moral perfection is unattainable. A more realistic goal is: be the best version of yourself. Learn from your mistakes, without beating yourself up too much.
    I think most Christians probably see life's "realistic goal" [in terms of moral perfection] the same way. However, while they see themselves as forgiven for falling short in return for believing what they do, most of them believe that you will be punished by their God figure for not believing the same things as they do.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 06:31
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 06:39
    @FMF
    Those are the usual rules, yes.

I just don't find them very useful, personally, anymore.

I could not care less if I'm "helping the theists erect straw men". I'm bored of that same type of discussion over and over, for years.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 06:41
    @Kevin-Eleven
    I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 06:48
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I could not care less if I'm "helping the theists erect straw men".
    Quite right too. In the end, it doesn't really matter. The point being, as you said, you being labelled an "atheist" doesn't tell anyone much about your outlook on things. Why would it?

Theists, however ~ people you are interested in to some degree, no matter how small ~ like to think they DO know a lot about "your outlook on things" because of your lack of belief [in their deity, specifically].
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 06:51
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @Kevin-Eleven
    He has been stalking me on two forums and multiple threads all morning here [GMT +6] because he seems to have some kind of drunken fixation.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 07:15
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @Kevin-Eleven
    He’ll be singing “show me the way to go home” by now.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 07:42
    @bigdoggproblem said

Why should I define myself, or label myself, based on a lack of belief? That doesn't tell you much about my outlook on things.

I should probably start by stating some positive beliefs I hold. Then you lot are free to guess at what label may apply.

* I believe that moral perfection is unattainable. A more reali ...[text shortened]... is: be the best version of yourself. Learn from your mistakes, without beating yourself up too much.
    Your best effort is good enough.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 07:491 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said

* I believe that moral perfection is unattainable. A more reali ...[text shortened]... is: be the best version of yourself. Learn from your mistakes, without beating yourself up too much.
    Interesting post BDP.

I wonder if I could consider labelling/unlabelling myself from “Christian” as the spectrum of definitions seem to not cover my beliefs adequately and I get a lot of (if you believe in the Christian God) extremely nasty and vengeful rhetoric from other “Christians” (in here) accusing me of all sorts of heresy and even satanism.
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 07:59
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @Kevin-Eleven
    Good to know. Thank you.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 07:59
    @divegeester said
    Interesting post BDP.

I wonder if I could consider labelling/unlabelling myself from “Christian” as the spectrum of definitions seem to not cover my beliefs adequately and I get a lot of (if you believe in the Christian God) extremely nasty and vengeful rhetoric from other “Christians” (in here) accusing me of all sorts of heresy and even satanism.
    All that verbiage aside, have you ever considered not being such a jackass?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 08:05
    @kevin-eleven said
    All that verbiage aside, have you ever considered not being such a jackass?
    Why behave like Very Rusty when you have the ability to contribute? Sober up.

Who’s the jackass!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree