honesty

Subscribermlb62
Spirituality 28 Jul '21 15:27
  1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 15:27
    in the Bible that Diogenes guy was looking for an honest man..Did he ever find him? also, what about looking for an honest woman ?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 20:14
    @ogb

Do you mind giving a book and verse for your Bible reference?
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 07:58
    @ogb said
    in the Bible that Diogenes guy was looking for an honest man..Did he ever find him? also, what about looking for an honest woman ?
    I recall reading about that. I believe he found one honest man (out of many) and no honest women.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 10:15
    @eladar said
    @ogb

Do you mind giving a book and verse for your Bible reference?
    Just Google Diogenes.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 10:181 edit
    @ogb said
    Diogenes was a Greek philosopher, not in the Bible.

He lives on in literature, art and even has a behavioral disorder named after him.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 22:28
    @ogb said
    That wasn't in the Bible.
    That's a folk legend about the Greeks.
    I have no reason to doubt it.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 22:30

Removed by poster

8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 22:33
    @suzianne said
    Just Google Diogenes.
    I knew who he was and knew he was not in the Bible, which is why I asked for book and verse.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 09:51
    @eladar said
    I knew who he was and knew he was not in the Bible, which is why I asked for book and verse.
    Why would you ask for book and verse if you know he's not in the Bible?

Do abuse your friends like you abuse random thread writers?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 09:56
    @mchill said
    I recall reading about that. I believe he found one honest man (out of many) and no honest women.
    Would not a man need to be honest in order to discern an honest woman?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 10:48
    @suzianne said
    Would not a man need to be honest in order to discern an honest woman?
    Groups of dishonest men and women are usually accutely aware of who the small number of honest people are among them because they are seen as a threat from within.

Take Jakarta Tax Office or Denpassar Police Department for example. When they purge a few people for "corruption", it often seem quite plain that those being purged are the honest ones who are unwilling to play along. Or they get transferred to posts on the outer islands.
  12. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 19:07
    @fmf said
    Groups of dishonest men and women are usually accutely aware
    all the police Inspectors and forensic experts know that women are more sneaky than men .....(dishonest) ...
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 19:15
    @suzianne said
    Why would you ask for book and verse if you know he's not in the Bible?

Do abuse your friends like you abuse random thread writers?
    So that he could figure out for himself the error of his way. That is not being abusive at all.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 13:293 edits
    God says that the psychological / spiritual "heart" of human beings all, is desperately wicked. Yes that means you and I whether men or women.

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; Who can know it?

I, Jehovah search the heart and test the inward parts, even to give to each one according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds." (Jer. 14:9)

No one can get away with anything with God.

We do not however need to despair because God is able to give us a new heart.

"I will also give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will take away the heart of stone out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and My ordinances you shall keep and do." (Ezekiel 36:26)

These two saying side by side give us something negative followed by something positive.

I like this scheme and would do it again.

Negative: Jesus says the heart of man is like a factory continually turning out rationales and reasons for sinning.

"But the things which proceed out of the mouth come out of the heart, and these defile the man. For out of the heart come evil reasonings, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witnessings, blasphemies. These are the things which defile the man, . . . " (See Matt. 15:18-20a)

Positive: Reading God's word in the Holy Spirit with an open and prayerful heart to God can cause you to STOP, DISCERN, TASTE and REALIZE God is searching your heart in order to heal it from its sicknesses.

"For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit and of joints and marrow, and able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

And there is no creature that is not manifest before Him, but all things are naked and laid bare to the eyes of Him to whom we are to give our account." 9Heb. 12:12,13)
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 10:15
    @sonship said
    God says that the psychological / spiritual "heart" of human beings all, is desperately wicked. Yes that means you and I whether men or women.

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; Who can know it?

I, Jehovah search the heart and test the inward parts, even to give to each one according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds." (J ...[text shortened]... are naked and laid bare to the eyes of Him to whom we are to give our account." 9Heb. 12:12,13)
    Do you consider yourself a Calvinist?

This sounds somewhat like the "Total Depravity" of man that the Calvinists preach about.

I'm not on board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree