1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 01:58
    Making a rare foray into the SC:

What do you think about when (and if) you think about guardian angels? Is the concept one to tell an inquisitive child about as in “some people believe that there are beings that...” or “there ARE beings that...” (referring as needed to Wikipedia or Biblical interpreters or other source of information on their role.)

As personal background my RCC dad believed it literally, but didn’t make a big deal about it, and my Presbyterian mom only asked if there wasn’t a part of me that tried to tell me what was right and what was wrong. She was more influential.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 02:12
    @js357 said

What do you think about when (and if) you think about guardian angels? Is the concept one to tell an inquisitive child about as in “some people believe that there are beings that...” or “there ARE beings that...” (referring as needed to Wikipedia or Biblical interpreters or other source of information on their role.)

As personal backgroun ...[text shortened]... sn’t a part of me that tried to tell me what was right and what was wrong. She was more influential.
    I believe angels do the will of God and the demonic that are looking for ways to keep us in the dark about the Truth. I believe these do combat with one another from time to time. I'm not sure about some being assigned to individuals, possible. Scripturally speaking, there are hints that human kingdoms, cities, areas have those assigned to them, example, in the book of Daniel.

Daniel 10:12-14 English Standard Version (ESV)
    12 Then he said to me, “Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. 13 The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia, 14 and came to make you understand what is to happen to your people in the latter days. For the vision is for days yet to come.”
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 06:22
    @js357 said

As personal backgroun ...[text shortened]... sn’t a part of me that tried to tell me what was right and what was wrong. She was more influential.
    What has occurred to make you want to discuss it now and do you have a belief either way yourself?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 14:00
    @divegeester said
    What has occurred to make you want to discuss it now and do you have a belief either way yourself?
    two 'thumbs down' for this post - tough crowd!
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 16:13
    @divegeester said
    My posts never get 2 thumbs down, something I have always suspected was the result of Guardian Angels...
  6. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 16:25
    @js357 said

When I was I child, I thought of guardian angels as mythical beings with wings who watched over me like Santa Claus and kept me safe. Nowadays, I think of parents who calmed my fears with reason and compassion, and friends I can count on, and kind folks who come into my life with exactly what I need at just the right moments. When these "angels" appear I feel a sense of divine presence and grace.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 21:20
    @js357 said

Given the number of damn fool things I've done and survived unscathed I'm pretty open to the idea.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 22:551 edit
    @divegeester said
    Well I am not one of those down thumbs.

I have a grand daughter who will begin to ask questions soon. I suppose I will say “ask your parents” or find an age appropriate parenting book. Otherwise I will go the “some people believe” route.

My daughter and I somehow got by without much discussion. She does speak of people “passing” instead of just plain dying, but that’s about the only clue I get that she is a bit more empathic or spirituality oriented than just standard issue secular humanist.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 17:25
    @js357 said

Angels are generally considered to be God's messengers. I can imagine them also being given other God-directed tasks, perhaps even as a "bodyguard" to certain individuals at certain times, but for me, the jury is still out as to whether everyone has a "guardian angel". Certainly, people have related stories of being "saved" by angels, or of receiving messages, but there are also many more people who have no such recollection or knowledge. If I was asked by a child about "guardian angels", I would certainly couch whatever I said to them as "something some people believe". I would also ask them what they believe about them, and perhaps steer the conversation towards what they believed and why. I certainly would not use it as a "teaching moment", especially with someone else's child. I would be much more forthcoming with my own belief were it my own child.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 15:54
    @suzianne said I would certainly couch whatever I said to them as "something some people believe".
    Surely you would recount your personal experience of being visited by angels who saved your life?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 18:20
    @divegeester said
    Surely you would recount your personal experience of being visited by angels who saved your life?
    As I said in my post, if it were my own child, yes. I would not presume to "teach" someone else's child.

And btw, the angels did not "save my life". They merely relayed a message. Their timing was impeccable, however.
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 18:56
    @js357 said
    What do you think about when (and if) you think about guardian angels?
    1964, new mexico, i'm ten years old and hiked directly up to a coiled rattlesnake
    i do not know what intervened and prevented me from being bitten

circa 1968, south texas, playing tag football in a field, i dove headfirst into a prickly pear patch, had hundreds of cactus thorns removed from various parts of my body by laughing scoutmasters and friends
    nothing intervened

1974, traffic stop in norfolk virginia, a narcotics policeman pointed a loaded weapon at my face and told me to assume the position
    he did not pull the trigger

1980, a field in rural illinois, friends and i were jumping a motorcycle over a ditch whilst consuming medicinal alcohol
    survived multiple instances of a hot machine landing on my head

1982, no angels appeared

1990, three car wrecks and one motorcycle in the drink
    survived, unknown if any angels were present

circa 1996, the internet blossomed
    survived anyway

2019, realized that most of my dairy is unintelligible and so i have no way of knowing if any angels were present
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 19:31
    Wish I had a guardian angel,
    when at eight I climbed that tree,
    some caring thing to catch me,
    when I fell and cracked my knee.

Wish I had a guardian angel
    when at twelve I choked on chips
    some caring thing to pat my back
    alleviate blue lips.

Wish I had a guardian angel
    when at thirty-two I almost drowned,
    some caring thing to rescue me,
    ...but alas, none were found.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 19:46
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

circumstances

a popular baby name for guardian angels
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 14:35
    @rookie54 said
    1964, new mexico, i'm ten years old and hiked directly up to a coiled rattlesnake
    i do not know what intervened and prevented me from being bitten

circa 1968, south texas, playing tag football in a field, i dove headfirst into a prickly pear patch, had hundreds of cactus thorns removed from various parts of my body by laughing scoutmasters and friends
    nothing intervened ...[text shortened]... d that most of my dairy is unintelligible and so i have no way of knowing if any angels were present
    Sorry I need a reality check on what might have been a joke. In your last sentence when you said "most of my dairy [sic] is unintelligible". There's 3 possibilities, you meant it as a joke, it was a typo, the product information is completely incomprehensible technobabble. I'm wondering which.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree