1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 16:00
    @secondson said
    A religionist is one that says one thing, but does another, and is so cocksure of his own self that he can't imagine that God is the only one that is omniscient and is the source of all knowledge, understanding and wisdom.
    No, you are mistaken. A religionist is someone who follows a religion such as Hinduism, Christianity or Judaism etc.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 16:05
    @bigdoggproblem said
    One could use their faith in God to believe He could guide them through the confusion and mental unrest.
    This does appear to be the function of belief in God in many people's lives. Indeed, it seems to have been the function of religion in societies and cultures all the way down through human history.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 16:131 edit
    @secondson said
    And an extreme-religionist is one that questions the truthfulness of God, and goes so far as to deny the existence of the God of Truth.
    Mmm. No. Quite the opposite. A religionist does not deny "the existence of the God of Truth". They insist on "the existence of the God of Truth" and adhere to the religious beliefs that surround whatever God figure it is that they worship. The word "religionist" does not mean what you seem to think it does.

An "extremist-religionist" would be someone whose religious beliefs placed them outside the mainstream - so, not you, for example - and, as subjective as the parameters of all this may be, that's where you get into the realms of radicalism, fundamentalism and fanaticism etc.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 16:25
    @secondson said
    Of course, but you've swerved out of context.
    I will never understand how folks can speak in sweeping, absolutist terms, then try to raise a shield of context.

Very well. The context, as I see it, was a rebuttal to the problem of evil. The only trouble is, you were attempting to rebut something that had not really been presented by anyone. I am sure it made a lot of sense to yourself as you wrote it, but the rest of us may have been left scratching our heads.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 16:26
    @fmf said
    This does appear to be the function of belief in God in many people's lives. Indeed, it seems to have been the function of religion in societies and cultures all the way down through human history.
    That, I find much more understandable than, "God has revealed All Truths to me, and I understand everything!"
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:09
    @fmf said
    Well, be that as it may. But regardless of how vehement your certainty about the accuracy and veracity of what you believe, all any of us is us is doing here is sharing our personal opinions.
    Yours is an opinion. Mine is a firm conviction. You're sharing your opinion, but I'm sold out and know who God is. You don't.

That's what I'm sharing with you. And before we get too far afield I'll remind you we're discussing the nature and attributes of a God you neither know or believe exists.

It's your opinion that the Bible lacks veracity. You don't actually know that for a fact. And the thing that gets to you isn't whether or not the scriptures are veracious, it's that I claim to know they are truth exclusively as distinct from all others.

It must be frustrating for you.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:10
    @bigdoggproblem said
    "God has revealed All Truths to me, and I understand everything!"
    You said it, I didn't.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:15
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I will never understand how folks can speak in sweeping, absolutist terms, then try to raise a shield of context.

Very well. The context, as I see it, was a rebuttal to the problem of evil. The only trouble is, you were attempting to rebut something that had not really been presented by anyone. I am sure it made a lot of sense to yourself as you wrote it, but the rest of us may have been left scratching our heads.
    Well, if it makes sense to me, what's wrong with you? Right?

By the way, "the problem of evil" isn't mine. It's the problem of those that don't understand or believe in the solution.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:20
    @fmf said
    A religionist is quite simply a person who adheres to a religion.
    That's what I'm trying to tell you.

I don't "adhere" to a religion. I adhere to a person.
  10. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:45
    On my way to the bicycle trail yesterday I saw three vehicles with the numbers 666 on their license plates.

It must have been a sign...

The gods and the inmates are laughing their a$$’s off.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:54
    @secondson said
    Yours is an opinion. Mine is a firm conviction. You're sharing your opinion, but I'm sold out and know who God is. You don't.
    Regardless of what words you use to refer to what you believe and to express how sure you are that youare right, all you and I are doing here is sharing our personal opinions.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:57
    @fmf said
    Regardless of what words you use to refer to what you believe and to express how sure you are that youare right, all you and I are doing here is sharing our personal opinions.
    Meowled Literate Cat.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:58
    @secondson said
    I don't "adhere" to a religion. I adhere to a person.
    Yes. You adhere to a religion. You adhere to Christianity. Saying stuff like "I adhere to a person" is one of the tenets of your religion.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 20:01
    @secondson said
    It's your opinion that the Bible lacks veracity. You don't actually know that for a fact. And the thing that gets to you isn't whether or not the scriptures are veracious, it's that I claim to know they are truth exclusively as distinct from all others.
    We can but speculate about supernatural things.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 20:17
    @secondson said
    It's your opinion that the Bible lacks veracity. You don't actually know that for a fact.
    I know for a fact that there are competing opinions and traditions about the nature of a creator being, assuming we have one.

Even those who believe in the Abrahamic God do not agree about his nature or tabout he narratives surrounding his supposed revelation.

We can both agree that there is clearly no consensus about the veracity of the Bible even among the people who believe in figures like Adam, Noah, Abraham and Moses. We both know this is a "fact".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree