1. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 12:572 edits
    What has Christianity become ? Why do Christians hide these greater things from others and keep on and on, over and over about lesser things such as faith and other forms of mouth worship? In fact they ridicule and belittle and condemn those who speak of these greater things.

Greater things - charity, brotherly love, good works, righteousness. Paul called these the MEAT of the word of God.

Lesser things - faith, singing hymns, attending church, bible study, speaking in tongues, prophesying, Paul called these the milk of the word of God

For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:13-14 KJV)

Milk is about knowledge, faith and lesser things. After the milk is digested the believer must progress on to the MEAT which deals with righteousness and the ability to discern good and evil

James said these lesser things without these greater things are pointless.

Paul said those who practice the lesser things without the greater things are like noisy clanging bell.

Jesus said he only knows those who keep his commandments, and those who do not keep his commandments is like the foolish man that built his house on the sand.

Why do Christians keep people away, and discourage people, from practising these greater things? Is it because Christians are trying keep others away from God and from the Kingdom of God ?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 15:541 edit
    Greater things according to what YOU think is greater?
    Or greater things according to what God calls greater?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 16:161 edit
    Yes, Jesus did say to His disciples that greater things they would do who believed in Him. But these are not greater things in the world's eyes.
    These are things in God's estimate which are great and greater.

That would include allowing God to build them together into a habitation of God in spirit (Eph. 2:22)

To the world that may not be great at all. To the world going to the moon or making salt water drinkable or curing Covid-19 is greater.

"Help us patch up this failing world system. That is greater to US the world."
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 16:17
    Greater things means greater to God's plan, to God's eternal purpose.
    Allowing themselves to be transformed and built up together into the church that Christ said He would build - the church building up itself in love - these are greater things.

If Jesus walked on the water and Christian walks two feet above the water, that is not "greater things".

Individual acts of charity are good.
    Peace making, mercy showing, are good too.

Greater things involve great in relation to God's purpose to dispense Himself into a corporate group of people to produce New Jerusalem - this is greater. And it cannot be accomplished without faith and cooperation with the operating God.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 17:001 edit
    @sonship said
    Greater things means greater to God's plan, to God's eternal purpose.
    Allowing themselves to be transformed and built up together into the church that Christ said He would build - the church building up itself in love - these are greater things.

If Jesus walked on the water and Christian walks two feet above the water, that is not "greater things".

Individual a ...[text shortened]... this is greater. And it cannot be accomplished without faith and cooperation with the operating God.
    The topic is what did Jesus or the Apostles say were GREAYER THINGS v LESSER THINGS that people can do .. PEOPLE !!! Nobody is talking about what God can do, or what God is planning to do. Of course God has greater plans for mankind but your type seems to be excluded, so I wont worry about that if I were you.

The greatest thing that people can do .. these three remain: faith, hope, and love; and the greatest of these is love.(1 Corinthians 13:13 GNB)

This what you said here is another clear sign that your failed doctrine is of men and not a God Individual acts of charity are good. Peace making, mercy showing, are good too. These things are not just good. They are the greatest things one can do. Your faith is good. Your calling Jesus 1000 times is good but it all worthless without good works.

So here is some friendly advice ... when you have nothing of substance to say, just shut up.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 19:30

Removed by poster

7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 19:341 edit
    What's a matter? You don't like someone coming in and making disagreeable comments in a thread you start? Why are you such a hypocrite?

Never done it yourself ?
    You never did it to anyone else here?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 20:19
    @sonship said
    What's a matter? You don't like someone coming in and making disagreeable comments in a thread you start? Why are you such a hypocrite?

Never done it yourself ?
    You never did it to anyone else here?
    My responses are relevant to the opening post. Yours are not relevant. Whether or not I agree, is not the issue. Post a comment relevant to the opening post. Here, let me help you our.

Jesus and all the Apostles spoke of GREATER Things in the life of the Christian. These greater things are things that you have never spoken of. What is worse is when other speak of these things you condemn them.

Ok thats the topic... proceed with your comments.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 20:211 edit
    @rajk999 said
    What has Christianity become ? Why do Christians hide these greater things from others and keep on and on, over and over about lesser things such as faith and other forms of mouth worship? In fact they ridicule and belittle and condemn those who speak of these greater things.

[b]Greater things - charity, brotherly love, good works, righteousness. Paul called these the ...[text shortened]... things? Is it because Christians are trying keep others away from God and from the Kingdom of God ?
    Why do I get the impression that only SELECTIVELY you refer to the Apostle Paul.

Other times it seems like only the red letters in the synoptic gospels are really important for you to read in the New Testament.

Why sometimes you refer to the epistles and other times you denigrate them and of far lesser importance (or no importance) compared to the synoptic gospels?

( I don't think you care for John's Gospel that much.)
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 20:301 edit
    @Rajk999
    What is worse is when other speak of these things you condemn them.

I do not condemn ANYTHING done through Christ and by Christ.
    I do not condemn ANY living from out of the SOURCE of the indwelling Jesus Christ.

"For to me to live is Christ . . . "

"It is not longer I that live but it is Christ that lives within me."

Whether good works, good behavior, giving, charity, distributing to the poor, whatever you admire. If Christ is the source I do not speak badly about it.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 20:301 edit
    It is a life long process of the regenerated believer to learn to live through the indwelling Spirit of Christ. It is something that the Bible says the believer is being TRAINED to do.

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all me, TRAINING us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly and righteously in this present age awaiting the blessed hope . . . etc. " (Titus 2:12)

The operative phrase there is that the grace of God is TRAINING US to live by that grace. And grace is Jesus Christ being in us whatever we need.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 21:54
    @sonship said
    Why do I get the impression that only SELECTIVELY you refer to the Apostle Paul.

Other times it seems like only the red letters in the synoptic gospels are really important for you to read in the New Testament.

Why sometimes you refer to the epistles and other times you denigrate them and of far lesser importance (or no importance) compared to the synoptic gospels?

( I don't think you care for John's Gospel that much.)
    More irrelevant posts. Greater things and lesser things.
    Which do you preach and why?
    '
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 21:57
    @sonship said
    It is a life long process of the regenerated believer to learn to live through the indwelling Spirit of Christ. It is something that the Bible says the believer is being TRAINED to do.

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all me, TRAINING us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly and righteously in this present age awaitin ...[text shortened]... is [b]TRAINING US to live by that grace. And grace is Jesus Christ being in us whatever we need.
    So you are now learning about Greater Things.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 23:23
    @Rajk999
    I am leaving your thread discussion now.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '21 23:511 edit
    @sonship said
    @Rajk999
    I am leaving your thread discussion now.
    Of course, I understand why you have to leave. This thread is about Greater Things. You are still, after several decades of Christian life, repeating the milk of the word, which Paul called first principles. Paul said to move away from that and focus on the meat which is about righteousness and good works. I know you have a aversion for that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree