1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    25 Nov '19 02:00
    @fmf said
    Has anyone witnessed people "speaking in tongues"? If so, what did you make of it?
    Back in the mid 70's near Waco , Texas . It was some kind of a gathering out in the woods . I think it was Baptist . My first reaction was that these people must be mentally ill . I restrained my laughter .
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Nov '19 03:33
    @secondson said
    @SecondSon

1 Corinthians 14:2
    For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

There is confusion about "tongues" and "tongue" among Christians. They are two different things.

Speaking in an "unknown tongue" is simply speaking in another language by supernatura ...[text shortened]... ich was only a one time event.

The subject concerning "tongues" and "tongue" can be complicated.
    One time event, and you are sure of this why?
    There are different gifts of tongues, which of these gifts has God removed from the church and how do you know? You believe that all who speak in tongues are faking it, and not just a few or many? You think all of the gifts of the Spirit of God have stopped in the church, because?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '19 03:39
    @kellyjay said
    One time event, and you are sure of this why?There are different gifts of tongues, which of these gifts has God removed from the church and how do you know? You believe that all who speak in tongues are faking it, and not just a few or many? You think all of the gifts of the Spirit of God have stopped in the church, because?
    Have you witnessed people "speaking in tongues"? If so, what did you make of it?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '19 22:241 edit
    @divegeester said
    You seem furtive about discussing this topic, which I thought from your first post would be the case.
    I can assure you, I'm in no way furtive.

I'm a Christian, not furtive
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '19 23:00
    @fmf said
    Have you witnessed people "speaking in tongues"? If so, what did you make of it?
    whodey, you seem furtive about this.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '19 06:55
    @whodey said
    I can assure you, I'm in no way furtive.
    And yet you don’t want to discus your thoughts on speaking in tongues for some reason.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 Nov '19 15:24
    @fmf said
    whodey, you seem furtive about this.
    FMF, the little fetish you and Dive share regarding the word "furtive" has been noted.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 13:11
    @kellyjay said
    One time event, and you are sure of this why?
    There are different gifts of tongues, which of these gifts has God removed from the church and how do you know? You believe that all who speak in tongues are faking it, and not just a few or many? You think all of the gifts of the Spirit of God have stopped in the church, because?
    I see I have been misunderstood.

I did not mean to infer that the "gift of tongues" was a "one time" event.

"Pentecost" was a one time event. Jesus told His disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the promised "comforter". That event was a "one time" event, some call the birth of "The Church".

The "gift" of speaking in tongues, as with all supernatural gifts, isn't for everyone all the time everywhere, but occurs when and where the Holy Spirit decides.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 13:18
    @caesar-salad said
    FMF, the little fetish you and Dive share regarding the word "furtive" has been noted.
    They share a furtive fetish.

That is until one provides the answer they seek to elicit.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 20:01
    @secondson said
    The "gift" of speaking in tongues, as with all supernatural gifts, isn't for everyone all the time everywhere, but occurs when and where the Holy Spirit decides.
    You say you have witnessed people "speaking in tongues" but that it seemed to you to be inauthentic. How would it have to be for you to perceive it to be authentic?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree