1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '18 02:49
    @philokalia said
    But there remains within theology and religion a significant amount of complexity, correct?

How would demanding "yes" and "no" answers actually be so valid?
    Incorrect as far as the gospel is concerned.

Not sure what you mean by “religion” or “theology” specifically.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Dec '18 22:55
    @divegeester said
    Incorrect as far as the gospel is concerned.

Not sure what you mean by “religion” or “theology” specifically.
    Is it possible to couch a question in a decidedly wrong way, though?

Of course it is.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '18 23:33
    @philokalia said
    Is it possible to couch a question in a decidedly wrong way, though?

Of course it is.
    There is no “complexity” in the gospel of Jesus Christ, agree?
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Dec '18 01:39
    @divegeester said
    There is no “complexity” in the gospel of Jesus Christ, agree?
    No, I disagree. I see where you are coming from as some of this stuff does boil down to very simple concepts, but there are many simple concepts all acting together, and unraveling what these concepts are is sometimes difficult.

I do know that the gist of what must be done is generally simple... But the rationale, and the application to all of the circumstances, can be exceedingly complex.

I guess you could say that I believe what Chesterton says -- along the lines that it's simple where things are simple, and exceedingly complicated in all those areas that are gray to us normally as well.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '18 07:281 edit
    @philokalia said
    No, I disagree. I see where you are coming from as some of this stuff does boil down to very simple concepts, but there are many simple concepts all acting together, and unraveling what these concepts are is sometimes difficult.

I do know that the gist of what must be done is generally simple... But the rationale, and the application to all of the circumstances, can be ...[text shortened]... are simple, and exceedingly complicated in all those areas that are gray to us normally as well.[/i]
    Can you give one scriptural example where you find the Gospel complex?

(The Gospel, not the rest of the bible)
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Dec '18 12:46
    @divegeester said
    Can you give one scriptural example where you find the Gospel complex?

(The Gospel, not the rest of the bible)
    Luke 12:48 is very complex and has a lot of ramifications.

Even simple passages like Matthew 6:3 or Matthew 7:1, which are easy on their face value, have so many ramifications and applications that they definitely also fit the description of being simple yet having very deep dives and thus become complicated affairs.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '18 18:46
    @philokalia said
    Luke 12:48 is very complex and has a lot of ramifications.

Even simple passages like Matthew 6:3 or Matthew 7:1, which are easy on their face value, have so many ramifications and applications that they definitely also fit the description of being simple yet having very deep dives and thus become complicated affairs.
    My request was that you post something complex about the gospel, not post a bunch of scriptures (which incidentally are not complex) and claim that they are.

Please try again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree