1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Feb '19 20:39
    @thinkofone said
    You've side-stepped the points. Here they are again:
    <<Just as you didn't understand that Jesus called His followers to become sons of God as He was a son of God, you also fail to understand that only those who KEEP His commandments (cease to sin) have the Spirit of Truth which is there to remind them of the words Jesus spoke while He walked the Earth.
    >> ...[text shortened]... taught.[/b] A dogma that is contrary to the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.
    >>
    If your Jesus is a dead guy why would any strive to be like him?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Feb '19 21:07
    @kellyjay said
    Perhaps for similar reasons as those who strive to be like Socrates, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein, etc.

Dead/alive doesn't matter much. Did they have at least some wise sayings or character traits worth emulating? That's the more important question.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    10 Feb '19 21:17
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Perhaps for similar reasons as those who strive to be like Socrates, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein, etc.

Dead/alive doesn't matter much. Did they have at least some wise sayings or character traits worth emulating? That's the more important question.
    Socrates, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein all definitely existed while the Jesus guy probably did not. Kind of like emulating Mithras or Osiris. But emulating Thor could be very interesting.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Feb '19 21:33
    @bigdoggproblem said

Sure you could strive to be like Donald Duck in the end you would still only amount to worm food.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 00:52
    @bigdoggproblem said

Bottom line, Jesus asked us to be one with Him and His Father, doing that could only be done when a couple of things happen. First our sin nature had to be dealt with as well as our sins, both were done when Jesus took our sins upon Himself, and the Holy Spirit enters into the Christian life making us born again. This is all on Christ and we receive it, we don't through our own efforts either earn it, or work for it. From there we can start walking with God this is due to God leading us and being in our lives, again not us striving to be godlike, or simply emulating Christ.

Jesus being the Way isn't that Jesus takes us somewhere we need to be, it is that He personally is the Way, He is the goal and He has laid down His life for us. The rest is our turning to Him as Lord and following Him in His grace through faith, which takes it away from us in our ability to work for it suggesting God owed us for something we did. The only thing we are owed is to answer for the evil we have done, and that is what God is attempting to save us from.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 02:332 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Clearly you have no intention of addressing the points or the verses from John 14 that underpin them.

This is that way it invariably goes with you. Whenever faced with scripture that you can't reconcile with the dogma you've been taught, you side-step it.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 03:05
    @thinkofone said
    Clearly you have no intention of addressing the points or the verses from John 14 that underpin them.

This is that way it invariably goes with you. Whenever faced with scripture that you can't reconcile with the dogma you've been taught, you side-step it.
    Do you even read what you write when you quote scripture?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 03:54
    @kellyjay said
    Do you even read what you write when you quote scripture?
    Of course I do.

Are you going to continue to side-step?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 10:31
    @thinkofone said
    Of course I do.

Are you going to continue to side-step?
    Well, when you quote scripture from your perspective from a dead Jesus what do you think it means, what weight does it carry? The only reason why anyone's words would matter is because of the truth behind them, if you have a foundation that is eternal than eternal words mean a great deal more than someone's whose life is just as passing flicker like anyone else'. Jesus' words of life are much more meaningful because of who He really was. Who He was before He became a man, who He was while He was a man, and who He is right now this moment.

John 8:58
    Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 14:47
    @kellyjay said
    Well, when you quote scripture from your perspective from a dead Jesus what do you think it means, what weight does it carry? The only reason why anyone's words would matter is because of the truth behind them, if you have a foundation that is eternal than eternal words mean a great deal more than someone's whose life is just as passing flicker like anyone else'. Jesus' word ...[text shortened]... is moment.

John 8:58
    Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
    Thought you would continue to side-step.

Why would anyone expect anything different from you?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 15:026 edits
    @caissad4

Socrates, Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein all definitely existed while the Jesus guy probably did not. Kind of like emulating Mithras or Osiris. But emulating Thor could be very interesting.

Thousands of Jews in Jerusalem celebrated the seventh day of the week as the sacred Sabbath according to what Moses had taught them.

Suddenly within a period of a month thousands began to change and consider the first day of the new week, the eighth day as "the Lord's day" . The "Lord" being Jesus of Nazareth whom they now believed rose from the dead on the third day after His execution on a Roman cross.

In your next post give us your alternative explanation to WHY thousands of Jews broke with a millennia of sacred tradition and thought the Eighth day of the week to be more sacred then the Seventh Day.

What happened to suddenly change the minds of multitudes of Jerusalem Jews ?

Oh, to the plagiarism police of the Forum. I think I first saw this argument in Lee Strobel's book "The Case For Christ" .
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 16:33
    @thinkofone said
    Thought you would continue to side-step.

Why would anyone expect anything different from you?
    I am no one that matters, unlike you who claim exclusive truth. The Jesus I point to is the Son of God and when I share either scripture or thoughts it’s to lift Him up for His glory.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:06
    @kellyjay said
    I am no one that matters, unlike you who claim exclusive truth. The Jesus I point to is the Son of God and when I share either scripture or thoughts it’s to lift Him up for His glory.
    And the side-stepping continues...
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:10
    @kellyjay said
    Sure you could strive to be like Donald Duck in the end you would still only amount to worm food.
    So what? Isn't a well lived life better than a poorly lived one, regardless of how it ends?
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:12
    @kellyjay said
    Bottom line, Jesus asked us to be one with Him and His Father, doing that could only be done when a couple of things happen. First our sin nature had to be dealt with as well as our sins, both were done when Jesus took our sins upon Himself, and the Holy Spirit enters into the Christian life making us born again. This is all on Christ and we receive it, we don't through our ...[text shortened]... are owed is to answer for the evil we have done, and that is what God is attempting to save us from.
    Yes, I'm aware of the theology. I used to believe something similar a long time ago. Now, however, I find that whole philosophy to be unhelpful in actually living a better life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree