1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 May '22 15:321 edit
    @FMF
    If you want to chat with me, send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

You were mentioning gimmicks?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '22 15:33
    @sonship said
    You were mentioning gimmicks?
    Yes. What's your next one?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 May '22 15:361 edit
    @FMF
    If you want to chat with me, send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

So much for the one accusing me of "cowering" and "imploding" in discussion on morality.

The demo speaks for itself.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '22 15:49
    @sonship said
    So much for the one accusing me of "cowering" and "imploding" in discussion on morality.
    If you cannot recite whatever dogma it is you are intent on reciting without asking me a personal question which ~ coming from you, specifically, strikes me as a bit creepy ~ then don't bother. You have dodged countless lively threads about morality to which I contributed. I haven't cowered away from any discussion about it. So, say your piece and spare me the social media clinginess.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 05:37
    @sonship said
    Have you ever been falsly accused of something you know that you were not guilty of doing, FMF?
    Im not interested in your personal question, sonship. We are not social media friends or chat mates.

So, without me answering it, do you have nothing to now say about accusations, guilt, morality, or the issue of whether faith is supernatural?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 May '22 07:02
    @fmf said
    .., or the issue of whether faith is supernatural?
    Faith opens the door to the supernatural.

Faith is the crossroad of the natural and supernatural.

Faith is the link between the material senses and the awareness of the supernatural.

Faith is the connection between God and man.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 09:462 edits
    @josephw said
    Faith opens the door to the supernatural.

Faith is the crossroad of the natural and supernatural.

Faith is the link between the material senses and the awareness of the supernatural.
    I have experiential knowledge of faith and, I think, a far more astute and independent-minded insight into what faith actually is than you [to me, time and time again, you appear to be mostly a gormless, shallow poster], substantiated by over 25 years of thoughtful, committed, life-shaping faith as an adult, and 20 years of thoughtful and empathetic reflection upon it since I lost it.

Faith is a function of cognition and it is rooted in our human capacity for abstraction and curiosity about who we are and what life is about.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 09:48
    @josephw said
    Faith is the connection between God and man.
    Yes, religious faith is the intellectual, psychological and emotional "connection" between theists and their various God figures.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 May '22 12:13
    @fmf said
    I have experiential knowledge of faith and, I think, a far more astute and independent-minded insight into what faith actually is than you [to me, time and time again, you appear to be mostly a gormless, shallow poster], substantiated by over 25 years of thoughtful, committed, life-shaping faith as an adult, and 20 years of thoughtful and empathetic reflection upon it since I los ...[text shortened]... rooted in our human capacity for abstraction and curiosity about who we are and what life is about.
    That's brilliant FMF!

First you extol the virtue of your powers of experience and insight and claim to know better what faith is, defining it as a "function of cognition", then the next thing you say is you "lost it".

Seems your cognitive powers are diminished with the loss of faith. Seems you lost some capacity for logic and reason.

Faith is not a function of cognition, but a function of the heart. The heart being the spiritual center of our being, the essence of our existence.

You have mistakenly reduced faith to something material, when in fact faith is immaterial, a function of the spirit, and the bridge that spans the gap between our mortal bodies and the supernatural.

The day you "lost faith" was the day you lost your ability to see without eyes and hear without ears.

The day you lost faith was the day you exchanged trust and belief in what your physical eyes cannot see and your physical ears cannot hear for a blind and deaf intellect which hasn't the capacity to comprehend the eternal and supernatural dimensions of reality and truth.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 12:28
    @josephw said
    First you extol the virtue of your powers of experience and insight and claim to know better what faith is, defining it as a "function of cognition", then the next thing you say is you "lost it". Seems your cognitive powers are diminished with the loss of faith.
    No. Loss of faith is a function of cognition too, like having the faith was. Cognition was not "diminished".
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 12:30
    @josephw said
    Faith is not a function of cognition, but a function of the heart. The heart being the spiritual center of our being, the essence of our existence.
    The heart is a kind of muscle that pumps blood. Spiritual notions, and other outputs of cognition, are seated in the mind which is in the brain.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 12:33
    @josephw said
    Seems your cognitive powers are diminished with the loss of faith. Seems you lost some capacity for logic and reason.
    I think my capacity for logic and reason is just fine.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 12:35
    @josephw said
    You have mistakenly reduced faith to something material, when in fact faith is immaterial, a function of the spirit, and the bridge that spans the gap between our mortal bodies and the supernatural.
    I am aware of what your religious beliefs are about supernatural things. However, I think my insights into what faith is are shrewder and less dogmatic than yours.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 12:402 edits
    @josephw said
    The day you lost faith was the day you exchanged trust and belief in what your physical eyes cannot see and your physical ears cannot hear for a blind and deaf intellect which hasn't the capacity to comprehend the eternal and supernatural dimensions of reality and truth.
    I see, so... although I [presumably?] did once have it... I now do NOT have "...the capacity to comprehend the eternal and supernatural dimensions of reality and truth."

Ah yes, this old chestnut.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 May '22 14:00
    @fmf said
    I see, so... although I [presumably?] did once have it... I now do NOT have "...the capacity to comprehend the eternal and supernatural dimensions of reality and truth."

Ah yes, this old chestnut.
    That "old chestnut" is true because of, and based on, the reality of what "faith" is, and because of where it comes from.

God created faith. Faith comes from God. Faith is not defined by you, but by the one that created faith.

Your logic fails you because you don't know whether there be a creator God or not. It's the fundamental flaw of your argument.

Arguing from a position of not knowing is irrational. No excuses.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree