1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 02:55
    I thought this kind of rhetoric was a thing of the past now that sonship has (apparently) left.

Who thinks it is a persuasive assertion?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 04:162 edits
    @kingdavid403 said
    So you truly think that you, everyone you know, life around us and in us, the cosmos, etc. Are all just a fluke? Without God, everything would be just a fluke. What say you? I say everyone knows whether they admit Him or not.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 04:171 edit
    @kingdavid403 said
    So you truly think that you, everyone you know, life around us and in us, the cosmos, etc. Are all just a fluke?Without God, everything would be just a fluke.What say you?I say everyone knows whether they admit Him or not.
    I don't know what the origin of the universe is. I understand that you attribute it to your particular God figure. I am open-minded about there being a creator being. But I am an agnostic atheist when it comes to what people claim are their "revealed" religions. The last line of your post above is not true. It is something that has been claimed here on this forum many times by various religionists. It's just silly.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 04:171 edit
    @kingdavid403 said
    FMF: I am open minded about there being a creator being.

KingDavid403: Why is this?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 04:18
    @kingdavid403 said
    Why is this?
    Because, clearly, none of us can know for sure. It is an area for speculation and conjecture ~ aspiration even ~ and therefore firmly in the realm of subjectivity. My subjective reaction to this is to be open-minded.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 04:241 edit
    @kingdavid403 said
    'Because you have known Him and have seen Him (paraphrased).'

I am an agnostic atheist. While the universe - and things like human consciousness - may well be the strongest evidence that theists have for their assertions about a creator and their various religions, I am open-minded about others' speculations.

I am also unaffected it by the things that people attribute to their God figures because I have found no credible reason to believe the assertions made by such followers of "revealed" religions.

I do not believe I have "known" your particular God figure ~ regardless of how certain you are that I have, nor do I believe I have "seen" "Him".
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 05:141 edit
    The claim in the thread title boils down to "I know what's going on in your mind better than you do". The typical level of insight displayed by the average claimant is far less that "clairvoyant". 🙂
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 05:53
    @fmf said
    I thought this kind of rhetoric was a thing of the past now that sonship has (apparently) left.

Not even god I would imagine!

Doesn't Jesus say "Whoever believes in me ... la di da ..."
    Clearly he doesn't think everyone does!

And Hebrews;
    And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to
    him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 05:59
    @fmf said

This warped ideology stems from a perversion and conjugation of certain Biblical tropes and statements about the spiritual condition of mankind, including but not exclusively:

“All have turned away...”
    “The heart of man is evil beyond compare...”
    “Their throats are like open graves...”
    “They are full of dead men’s bones...”
    “They are without excuse...”

I have seen it used as a debating fall back position designed to look like a smarter move when the argument is more or less lost.

Typical proponents in the past have been; sonship and Grampy Bobby especially.
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 14:032 edits
    @divegeester said
    This warped ideology stems from a perversion and conjugation of certain Biblical tropes and statements about the spiritual condition of mankind, including but not exclusively:

“All have turned away...”
    “The heart of man is evil beyond compare...”
    “Their throats are like open graves...”
    “They are full of dead men’s bones...”
    “They are without excuse...”

I have ...[text shortened]... ore or less lost.

Typical proponents in the past have been; sonship and Grampy Bobby especially.
    I have seen it used as a debating fall back position designed to look like a smarter move when the argument is more or less lost.
    In this case, it was used as a TROLL move, and not much more.
    lol...It clearly worked too. lol... 😆
    However, in my opinion, I feel there is some truths in my statements. Nothing absolute.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 15:21
    @kingdavid403 said
    In this case, it was used as a TROLL move, and not much more.
    lol...It clearly worked too. lol... 😆
    However, in my opinion, I feel there is some truths in my statements. Nothing absolute.
    I guess you mean that some part of the atheist (no matter how small or hidden) thinks there must be a God.

The problem is, such a way of thinking goes both ways. I would be just as confident in an assertion that 'nobody' believes in God 100%. (That there is a small or hidden amount of doubt).

If nobody is 100% atheist then nobody is 100% theist. Alternatively, take the atheist at their word when they say they don't believe in God. To do otherwise is a little patronizing.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 16:334 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I guess you mean that some part of the atheist (no matter how small or hidden) thinks there must be a God.

The problem is, such a way of thinking goes both ways. I would be just as confident in an assertion that 'nobody' believes in God 100%. (That there is a small or hidden amount of doubt).

If nobody is 100% atheist then nobody is 100% theist. Alternatively, ...[text shortened]... eist at their word when they say they don't believe in God. To do otherwise is a little patronizing.
    As I previously stated Sir Duke: " it was used as a TROLL move, and not much more."
    I apologize for any offense to others. That was not my intention when I made these posts while tired and somewhat annoyed.
    I somewhat agree with your other statements also. Somewhat 🙂

I honestly do not believe I or others are above or below anyone here, or elsewhere.
    No one knows their belief, or non-belief in God, better than themselves.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 18:37
    @kingdavid403 said
    As I previously stated Sir Duke: " it was used as a TROLL move, and not much more."
    I apologize for any offense to others. That was not my intention when I made these posts while tired and somewhat annoyed.
    I somewhat agree with your other statements also. Somewhat 🙂

I honestly do not believe I or others are above or below anyone here, or elsewhere.
    I agree with that last sentiment. People also come and go in their relationship with the 'divine' as they trundle through life. It's admittedly unlikely, but possible we could completely exchange places in 20 years, me the tamborine shaker (no offense intended) and you the hardened atheist with a penchant for chocolate.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 00:461 edit
    @kingdavid403 said
    If you are now saying "no one knows their belief, or non-belief in God, better than themselves", why then do you insist that "everyone believes in God whether they admit it or not"?
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 02:063 edits
    @fmf said
    If you are now saying "no one knows their belief, or non-belief in God, better than themselves", why then do you insist that "everyone believes in God whether they admit it or not"?
    Who did I insist this to?
    you.

Why?
    To counter-troll you and piss you off.

Did it work?
    Oh yeah! LOL... Just look at the tangent you went on. 🙂 lol...

Anything else? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree