1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 16:58
    This thread continues ThinkOfOne's question on arguably his favorite part of the New Testament (portions of John chapter 8).

Jesus says that His true disciples are made free from committing sin. How does that "say nothing 'about ceasing to sin'"? His disciples are made free from committing sin, but don't cease to sin? How does that work exactly?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:08
    @sonship

God doesn't seem to have a problem, with people He has chosen, when it comes to sinning. For instance, in Scripture, there is no king who was the apple of God’s eye like David. The heart of God had a special affection for the man who was later described by the Lord as, “a man after my heart, who will do all my will.” (Acts 13:33). A Bible study on the life of David, however, would not reveal a perfect man, but rather a man who failed and sinned in many ways. So the questions must be asked, Why did God love and bless David so much?

https://applygodsword.com/why-did-god-lovebless-king-david-so-much/
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:19
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @sonship

God doesn't seem to have a problem, with people He has chosen, when it comes to sinning. For instance, in Scripture, there is no king who was the apple of God’s eye like David. The heart of God had a special affection for the man who was later described by the Lord as, “a man after my heart, who will do all my will.” (Acts 13:33). A Bible study on the life ...[text shortened]... ve and bless David so much?

Unlike some belief systems in scripture we are described as a fallen race, and all the faults of man are on full display. Redemption costed a lot for all that had to be forgiven!
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:32
    @kellyjay said
    Unlike some belief systems in scripture we are described as a fallen race, and all the faults of man are on full display. Redemption costed a lot for all that had to be forgiven!
    Why did God 'favor' a man like David who continued to sin in quite a dramatic fashion?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:401 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @sonship

God doesn't seem to have a problem, with people He has chosen, when it comes to sinning. For instance, in Scripture, there is no king who was the apple of God’s eye like David. The heart of God had a special affection for the man who was later described by the Lord as, “a man after my heart, who will do all my will.” (Acts 13:33). A Bible study on the life ...[text shortened]... ve and bless David so much?

God likes / hates certain characteristics in people. Proverbs gives a good indication of what they are. I guess David had some pretty good ones.

So the answer to your question is that God overlooks sin in people he likes.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:501 edit
    Let's start with a picture. A picture is word 1,000 words.

In the institution of the Passover, the Israelites were to appply the blood of the lamb on the doorpost such that the destroying angel of judgment would PASS OVER that household.

Let D.M. Panton help us here:
    [my bolding, my occasional spacing]
    The Blood and the Leaven

An Old Testament type, of exquisite clearness and beauty, now reveals God's dual truth on the very threshold of all Redemption.

... in the Blood and Leaven, three explicit clues are given by the Holy Spirit., so as to put all beyond doubt. "Our passover also hath been sacrificed, even Christ" - [b]therefore the lamb's blood typifies Christ's blood : [b]"wherefore let us keep the feast" - therefore the Church age, the Seven Days between Advent and Advent, is the antitype of [b]the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Panton is saying Paul's word that Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us PLUS and the keeping of the seven say Feast of Unleavened Bread means -

1.) We are redeemed by Christ's atoning blood.

2.) We are to ENJOY Christ throughout the church age MINUS the LEAVEN, which stands for corruption and sin. A seven day Feast of Unleavened Bread following the application of the redeeming blood of the lamb is God's intention.

Here is Paul's word to which D.M. Panton is elaborationg on:
    First Corinthians 5:7
    English Standard Version
    Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

Berean Study Bible
    Get rid of the old leaven, that you may be a new unleavened batch, as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

...[ Let us keep the feast ] ... " not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness"

"but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth" (1 Cor. 5:8)

First in the typology - apply the redeeming blood upon the house.
    [b]"They shall taeke of the blood, and put it upon the house on the two side posts and on the lintel, upon the houses wherein they shall eat" the lamb (Exodus xii. 7). The Destroying Angel sought put every house, for every house held sinners, but lowered his sword, and passed, wherever he saw the blood.

Cont. below
    WAKE UP!! This is good stuff !!
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:57
    The leaven represents KNOWN sins.
    As the conscience grows more and more sensitive in spiritual growth more and more inward light illumines the condition of the heart.

No one coming to be saved knows the full extent of their sinfulness. They apply the REDEMPTION of Christ through His blood. And they start there Christian journey.

The journey is a Feast of Unleavend Bread. The Seven Days represents for the whole duration of the church age. And the leaven KNOWN must be put away. The leaven discovered latter must be put away. The leaven not yet perceived God overlooks for now.

When the nature of sin is discovered in the living - it is to be put away by the empowering grace of Christ. This insures one sojourning disciple the Lamb of God Jesus Christ ENJOYS the feast of unleavened bread throughout their life.

The disciple has the responsibility to put away leaven.
    God enlightens gradually more and more where the leaven in the house is.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 17:591 edit
    @rajk999 said
    God likes / hates certain characteristics in people. Proverbs gives a good indication of what they are. I guess David had some pretty good ones.

"God overlooks sin in people He likes"

Wow.

Well, your interpretation seems plausible, but it just shows another contradiction between OT and NT.

Edit: I take that back. It seems God was okay with all the murdering Saul did.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:051 edit
    @rajk999 said

David was part of the lineage that came from Abraham who Jehovah promised that the Messiah would be from. David was forgiven by Jehovah (which is his right) under extraordinary circumstances, so that Jesus would still descend from Abraham.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:072 edits
    @sonship said
    The leaven represents KNOWN sins.
    As the conscience grows more and more sensitive in spiritual growth more and more inward light illumines the condition of the heart.

No one coming to be saved knows the full extent of their sinfulness. They apply the REDEMPTION of Christ through His blood. And they start there Christian journey.

The journey is a Feast of Unleavend Br ...[text shortened]... bility to put away leaven.
    God enlightens gradually more and more where the leaven in the house is.
    From the OP, it sounded like you were going to actually answer the following in regards to the verses cited from John 8. Evidently neither G75 or KJ have an answer for them.:
    Jesus says that His true disciples are made free from committing sin. How does that "say nothing 'about ceasing to sin'"? His disciples are made free from committing sin, but don't cease to sin? How does that work exactly?

Thus far it's been a bait-and-switch. What a gyp.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:102 edits
    The book I am getting this from is The Judgment Seat of Christ by D.M. Panton.

I appreciate his careful exegesis.
    " ... the lamb had perished in the place of the firstborn. But into every other house the Angel entered. The moment Christ's blood rises up between my soul and Jehovah, it is "the beginning of months". to my soul: it is regeneration, the beginning of a new and divine life: in that moment, which I have consciously appropriated Calvary, I leave the world, in spirit, and start traveling home to God.

"Even that selfsame day all the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt. It is a night to be much observed unto the Lord for bringing them out of the land of Egypt."

The pilgrim life starts with the putting on the blood.

Jehovah's second command was the putting forth of the Leaven from the House. "Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day " - that is, from the moment of conversion - "ye shall put away leaven out of your houses."

Israel started started the pilgrim life with sufficient sweet dough to last them the whole Seven Days: the old, sour dough - ALL DISCOVERABLE SIN - was left in Egypt: and so urgent is Jehovah that He nine times commands the putting forth of the leaven. Paul is no less urgent. "It is actually reported that there is fornication among you. Know ye not that a little leaven leeaveneth the whole limp? Purge out the old leaven" ( 1 Cor. V. I, 7).
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:161 edit
    Putting away sinning then is in conjunction with the gradual increased enlightening of the Christian conscience.

Proverbs 4:18 has been helpful to many believers here.

Proverbs 4:18 King James Version (KJV)
    18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

Discoverable sins is to be put away as we are on the journey out of the world enjoying Christ our Redeeming Lamb of God.

God expects that as Christ grows in us we increase in the sensitivity of our conscience and put away more and more what we discover is not according to His life.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:233 edits
    @ThinkOfOne

We'll get around to John chapter 8.

But for the cowardly crypto Atheist to complain about being gyped when he intends to GYP everyone as a phony New Testament teacher, you have a nerve to complain.

The GYP is Athiesm dressed up as "Jesus when He walked the earth", your opiate, your code language of anti-theistic Humanism.

Speaking of the BIG GYP.

Are you on the payroll of some unsuspecting liberal congregation ? Is your persistent stealth and concealment of your atheism behind a earth walking Jesus indicative to some religious employment you have ?
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:251 edit
    John 8
    34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."
    " 31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
    "36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. "
    35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
    51Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death.”
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:351 edit
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

We'll get around to John chapter 8.

But for the cowardly crypto Atheist to complain about being gyped when he intends to GYP everyone as a phony New Testament teacher, you have a nerve to complain.

The GYP is Athiesm dressed up as "Jesus when He walked the earth", ...[text shortened]... ment of your atheism behind a earth walking Jesus indicative to some religious employment you have ?
    A bait-and-switch with an ad hom chaser. What a double-gyp.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree