1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '18 12:19
    @secondson said
    "Jesus died because he was executed by the Romans for sedition."

That's a bogus statement. Substantiate it with any historical record if you can.

Apparently your knowledge of the scriptures after so many years of thinking you were a Christian doesn't add up to much.
    Well?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 10:14
    @secondson said

That's a bogus statement. Substantiate it with any historical record if you can.
    On one hand, you have the Bible, and on the other, you have the history of the Roman Empire. So I don't see how my statement can be described as "bogus".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 20:41
    @secondson said

Apparently your knowledge of the scriptures after so many years of thinking you were a Christian doesn't add up to much.
    "Bogus"?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 00:51
    SecondSon?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 14:11
    @fmf said
    SecondSon?
    “Bathroom break”
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '18 01:57
    @secondson said

The Bible and the history of the Romans?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    23 Dec '18 03:47
    @fmf said
    On one hand, you have the Bible, and on the other, you have the history of the Roman Empire. So I don't see how my statement can be described as "bogus".
    There's no Roman record of Christ's execution.

The description of events we have features the local ethnarch executing Christ under his authority.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '18 07:02
    @philokalia said
    There's no Roman record of Christ's execution.

The description of events we have features the local ethnarch executing Christ under his authority.
    We know what the Romans executed people for and how, and we know what Jews executed people for and how.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '19 03:34
    @secondson said

Well, according to Christian texts, the Romans crucified Jesus. According to the historical records of that era, with the Romans, execution by crucifixion was carried out for political crimes such as treason and sedition. The Romans used crucifixion as a political weapon that sent a clear message to those living in the areas they occupied. If he had been found guilty of a religious crime, it would have been a Jewish matter and he would have been stoned to death. That was the Jewish form of execution. By contrast, crucifixion was the Roman method of punishment. The Jews did not crucify people.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '19 14:59
    @fmf said
    Well, according to Christian texts, the Romans crucified Jesus. According to the historical records of that era, with the Romans, execution by crucifixion was carried out for political crimes such as treason and sedition. The Romans used crucifixion as a political weapon that sent a clear message to those living in the areas they occupied. If he had been found guilty of a religio ...[text shortened]... ution. By contrast, crucifixion was the Roman method of punishment. The Jews did not crucify people.
    That reminds me.

I just got down reading Psalms 22:16.

16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.

Prophesy about the coming crucifixion of Christ, only, Roman crucifixion had not been invented when this was written.

Astounding!
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '19 02:00
    @whodey said
    That reminds me.

I just got down reading Psalms 22:16.

16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.

Prophesy about the coming crucifixion of Christ, only, Roman crucifixion had not been invented when this was written.

Astounding!
    The oldest copy of the Psalms in existence was produced - by hand - hundreds and hundreds of years after Jesus was executed. Crucifixion, as a method of execution, pre-dates Jesus by hundreds of years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree