1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 03:151 edit
    II wonder what others that believe he real, think his great deceptions are that he is doing to the whole world? What truths would he want to hide from everyone in the world?

Revelation 12:9
    And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 05:31
    @kellyjay said
    II wonder what others that believe he real, think his great deceptions are that he is doing to the whole world? What truths would he want to hide from everyone in the world?

And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
    You are welcome to believe that there is a supernatural being called "Satan". And even if one accepts your assertion - for the sake of argument - and assumes there is, how can anyone know if you are under "Satan's" influence or not? How can anyone know if you yourself are deceived by the "Deceiver"? All you have to offer are your assertions and all they amount to are endless recitations of religious dogma.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 06:57
    @fmf said
    You are welcome to believe that there is a supernatural being called "Satan". And even if one accepts your assertion - for the sake of argument - and assumes there is, how can anyone know if you are under "Satan's" influence or not? How can anyone know if you yourself are deceived by the "Deceiver"? All you have to offer are your assertions and all they amount to are endless recitations of religious dogma.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -- Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects (1995)
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 07:19
    @suzianne said
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -- Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects (1995)
    It's a pretty gimmicky thing to say. What kind of logical fallacy is it exactly? Begging the question? Circular argument? I'm not sure. Either way, it doesn't work on me; does it work on you Suzianne?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 07:52
    God and Satan were having a discussion about politics. Satan protested that God should not rule over mankind like a king, for that would deny mankind's 'freewill.'

God: "Oh, I suppose you think you should rule over mankind?"

Satan: "Oh no, certainly not."

God: "Then who?"

Satan: "Let them rule themselves."

And so it came to pass...
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 08:341 edit
    @fmf said
    It's a pretty gimmicky thing to say. What kind of logical fallacy is it exactly? Begging the question? Circular argument? I'm not sure. Either way, it doesn't work on me; does it work on you Suzianne?
    Gimmicky? A fallacy?

What makes you think I don't think it's true?

Apparently, you don't think he exists.

Devil 1, Us 0.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 09:38
    @suzianne said
    Gimmicky? A fallacy?
    If you think a clumsy logical fallacy - passing itself off as wisdom- works as a debating point, then good for you.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 09:40
    @suzianne said
    Apparently, you don't think he exists.
    And you apparently do. Hence, you think the circular argument/soundbite in your first post has some merit.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 09:51
    @kellyjay said

One great truth that he has withheld from you is that he is not a literal dragon.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 11:19
    @fmf said
    Ever been in the presence of evil?

I have cuz you can feel it.

Where does it come from? It certainly is the polar opposite feeling of being in the presence of God.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 11:45
    @whodey said

I have cuz you can feel it.

Where does it come from? It certainly is the polar opposite feeling of being in the presence of God.
    Darkness is the absence of light. 'Evil' therefore is not a thing in itself, but the absence of goodness.
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 11:48
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Darkness is the absence of light. 'Evil' therefore is not a thing in itself, but the absence of goodness.
    Very true my wise friend.
    I've also heard that nature abhors a vacuum. They suck the air out of everything. 😀
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 13:12
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I agree completely! Hiding the Light of the world from the world is something I think He does.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 13:55
    @kellyjay said
    I agree completely! Hiding the Light of the world from the world is something I think He does.
    But that isn't what GoaD said.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 13:55
    @whodey said
    I have been in the presence of people who'd done ~ or were capable of doing ~ evil things. I see "evil" as more accurately and appropriately used as an adjective rather than as a noun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree