1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 21:58
    @kellyjay said
    What you view as relevant isn't at play with scripture it is the revealed Word, you
    liking it or disliking it is meaningless. The whole thing is either the Word of God or
    not, if not the whole should be cast out, if it is, the entire thing needs to be
    acknowledged like it or not.

Picking out the pieces you like and dislike would be no different than looking at a
    compl ...[text shortened]... f they are valid, but the only way
    to truth is to accept all the points, those we like and dislike.
    "The whole thing is either the Word of God or not"
    I could not disagree more. By imposing this [arbitrary] standard on the text, you actually handicap yourself - you deliberately remove your own discernment from the equation. It's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Spiritual texts are actually not very much like scientific theories at all! In science, I can 1) do the experiment myself and verify I get the same result and 2) question parts of any theory, but I'd better have counter-evidence if I expect to be taken seriously.

Also, scientific theories are constantly being modified. That's why few theories are called 'laws' anymore - because in the past, we kept finding exceptions to the laws. Now, imagine if scientists had your self-defeating viewpoint of "it's either all true or none of it's true". How many good theories would have been thrown out because they weren't perfect? What a loss for humanity that would have been! No Newton's Laws of Gravity, because of the Relativity exception, even though Newton's Laws are still perfectly valid in many cases.

Science is much much better than religion at modifying and correcting itself as new evidence is discovered.

You end with "the only way to truth is to accept all the points". Again, I could not disagree more. I think you're actually holding yourself back in your truth-seeking by adopting this faulty paradigm.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 22:311 edit
    @bigdogg said
    I could not disagree more. By imposing this [arbitrary] standard on the text, you actually handicap yourself - you deliberately remove your own discernment from the equation. It's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Spiritual texts are actually not very much like scientific theories at all! In science, I ca ...[text shortened]... think you're actually holding yourself back in your truth-seeking by adopting this faulty paradigm.
    Picking verses you like and dislike removes from the authority of the text, you may
    do that, but what will be left will not be the book of Deuteronomy, but the book of
    bigdogg's selected text due to personal preferences.

The only theories that remain after much investigation are those closest to the truth
    about whatever it is they are about, those thrown out, are because they do not
    conform with reality. If you are going to pick and choose what pieces of reality
    you like from those you don't like to make your theory stand up and be accepted,
    it will not be because it is a good theory, but in the end, it will only be a brain fart
    passed off as something it isn't.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 22:33
    @bigdogg said

Spiritual texts are actually not very much like scientific theories at all! In science, I ca ...[text shortened]... think you're actually holding yourself back in your truth-seeking by adopting this faulty paradigm.
    Science self-corrects because it has to if the script is the same way it isn't scripture.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 23:14
    @kellyjay said
    Science self-corrects because it has to if the script is the same way it isn't scripture.
    How do you know that the Quran isn’t the word of God?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 23:30
    @divegeester said
    I think it all has to do with where you're born and what religion/God you were introduced to in your youth.

You will likely go through your life believing and defending that faith. (No matter what)
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 02:221 edit
    @chaney3 said
    I think it all has to do with where you're born and what religion/God you were introduced to in your youth.

You will likely go through your life believing and defending that faith. (No matter what)
    YouTube

You run into the same issue with the truth, either something is or isn't there are no
    gray areas or shades of truth.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 03:45
    @kellyjay said
    You run into the same issue with the truth, either something is or isn't there are no
    Dasa used to say this about his personal opinions too.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 03:59
    @kellyjay said
    Picking verses you like and dislike removes from the authority of the text, you may
    do that, but what will be left will not be the book of Deuteronomy, but the book of
    bigdogg's selected text due to personal preferences.

The only theories that remain after much investigation are those closest to the truth
    about whatever it is they are about, those thrown out, are becau ...[text shortened]... it is a good theory, but in the end, it will only be a brain fart
    passed off as something it isn't.
    BigDogg's selected text due to personal preferences - I like it!

And you tried to sneak in the word 'reality' - the biblical text are words. Words aren't the same thing as reality. Words may describe reality accurately - or they might not.

I'm not ever going to ignore things I know to be real. But that's not what is at issue. The issue is, does the passage of Deuteronomy inspire us, or give us wisdom about life, or some such? For me, it does not. Therefore, I have no use for it.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 09:41
    @divegeester said
    He offered you a YouTube clip.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 09:46
    @kellyjay said
    about whatever it is they are about, those thrown out, are because they do not
    conform with reality.
    KellyJayism:

If his personal opinions about reality align with his personal religious beliefs, then both his personal opinions about reality and his personal religious beliefs constitute objective truth.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 10:32
    @bigdogg said
    BigDogg's selected text due to personal preferences - I like it!

And you tried to sneak in the word 'reality' - the biblical text are words. Words aren't the same thing as reality. Words may describe reality accurately - or they might not.

I'm not ever going to ignore things I know to be real. But that's not what is at issue. The issue is, does the passage of Deuteronom ...[text shortened]... s, or give us wisdom about life, or some such? For me, it does not. Therefore, I have no use for it.
    The truth and reality are the same things, I'm not sneaking anything in whether it
    is worth believing in or not, if it is true it is worth believing in. You cannot take the
    pieces of reality and only choose some of it while just as accurately ignoring the
    rest, you do that to our peril. Jesus Christ is a historical figure who was, and who
    did what the scriptures teach about Him or not, and if so the reality of all there is
    about Jesus is vital to all mankind. God was on the cross for us!

All truth is God's so what we see in scripture, and what we see in our natural world
    in truth must line up, not just the words of the text, also all of reality itself. It is or
    it isn't, we don't get to cherry-pick reality either, if we do we run the risk of very
    real and deadly consequences.

The passages of Deuteronomy are not meant to be useful to you because you
    like them, these particular ones make the points quite clearly doing good and
    doing evil is not going to be treated the same way, we choose, we are told
    and we conform to the truth of scripture, looking at the things that we are
    supposed to be doing like not murdering, not lusting, honoring our parents,
    loving God and each other, telling the truth not lies. Throughout scripture it
    is doing right is blessed, doing otherwise is not.

Do you treat a math problem or any problem by looking at the figures and just
    ignoring some aspects of the problem and focusing only on the bits and pieces
    you like, because they look like something you would be pleased with? You
    cannot do that anywhere, you cannot run a business while ignoring the truth
    about your business processes, and if what your business produces isn't up to
    par it is because it is set up to give you that end result, you need an honest
    assessment to see if how you are doing things is the proper way, you don't do
    that you'll fail.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 19:38
    @kellyjay said
    https://youtu.be/k0D8Uz4oQck

How do you know that the Quran is not the word of God?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 20:37
    @divegeester said
    How do you know that the Quran is not the word of God?
    Instead of thumbing it down KellyJay, why not attempt to answer my question?
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 22:20
    @kellyjay said
    The truth and reality are the same things, I'm not sneaking anything in whether it
    is worth believing in or not, if it is true it is worth believing in. You cannot take the
    pieces of reality and only choose some of it while just as accurately ignoring the
    rest, you do that to our peril. Jesus Christ is a historical figure who was, and who
    did what the scriptures teach ab ...[text shortened]... st
    assessment to see if how you are doing things is the proper way, you don't do
    that you'll fail.
    Unpleasant truths are fine. Those are part of life. More importantly, those types of truths are useful, unlike the passage in Deuteronomy.

I know better reasons to act morally than fear of an imaginary, bitter, spiteful deity's wrath.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 23:44
    @bigdogg said
    Unpleasant truths are fine. Those are part of life. More importantly, those types of truths are useful, unlike the passage in Deuteronomy.

I know better reasons to act morally than fear of an imaginary, bitter, spiteful deity's wrath.
    Imaginary anything isn't worth fearing, and it is not a bitter spiteful deity we are
    talking about here, but a good righteous God that you should be concerning
    yourself about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree