1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 11:39
    @chaney3 said
    Verse 30, the woman you are going to marry will be taken by another man and RAVISHED!!!

Nice.
    The point of these verses is telling them the consequences of not following the Lord, He will not bless and the world they will create by going their own way produces all manner of evil.

It would be no different than me telling you about your life if you lived it without restrictions or restraint it will produce all manner of evil consequences in your life and those around you.

Similarly if I told you if you jump off a building you will fall to your death, you can’t reject living a righteous life without bringing into your life evil results.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 18:49
    @kellyjay said
    The point of these verses is telling them the consequences of not following the Lord, He will not bless and the world they will create by going their own way produces all manner of evil.

It would be no different than me telling you about your life if you lived it without restrictions or restraint it will produce all manner of evil consequences in your life and those aroun ...[text shortened]... o your death, you can’t reject living a righteous life without bringing into your life evil results.
    There's a big difference in not getting blessed, and getting the most sinister curses imaginable for disobedience.

God really came up with some awful stuff.
    Not very loving, or forgiving.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 19:53
    @chaney3 said
    There's a big difference in not getting blessed, and getting the most sinister curses imaginable for disobedience.

God really came up with some awful stuff.
    Not very loving, or forgiving.
    For every deed done or neglected there are consequences remember God has
    created absolutely everything and everyone; we have our very being in His
    creation and we are a part of His creation. God has given us every good thing we
    have and we twist it all to our ends.

Jesus said the law and the prophets hang these two things love the Lord our God
    and each other. So betrayal, lies, thefts, murder, adultery, fornication, and on and
    on will bring about the fruit of those actions. Do you think God should bless evil,
    and overlook it? We see how these types of things play out, and these are the very
    things you think God should be okay with, why?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 20:00
    @kellyjay said
    For every deed done or neglected there are consequences remember God has
    created absolutely everything and everyone; we have our very being in His
    creation and we are a part of His creation. God has given us every good thing we
    have and we twist it all to our ends.

Jesus said the law and the prophets hang these two things love the Lord our God
    and each other. So betra ...[text shortened]... ese types of things play out, and these are the very
    things you think God should be okay with, why?
    I'm NOT saying that God should be okay with disobedience. I'm fine with getting disciplined by God, in the same way that parents discipline children.

I take issue with how horrific the curses are.
    I don't believe that a loving God would create such awful ways to punish human beings. It seems man made, and by a ruthless, sinister man.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 03:11
    @chaney3 said
    I'm NOT saying that God should be okay with disobedience. I'm fine with getting disciplined by God, in the same way that parents discipline children.

I take issue with how horrific the curses are.
    I don't believe that a loving God would create such awful ways to punish human beings. It seems man made, and by a ruthless, sinister man.
    We are talking about an eternal God, dealing with people in the here and now
    about to show up face-to-face with God in a place where there is no turning back,
    no chance of redemption once we leave this life. The seriousness of our actions
    is made quite clear by how God deals with us even in this temporary world, it is
    not fun and games where we party all day long who cares, life is as real as it gets.

If we are not living in the love and grace God gives to all who turn to Him, we are
    simply doing what want, and without the life that only God gives, there is only
    death.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 03:25
    @kellyjay said
    We are talking about an eternal God, dealing with people in the here and now
    about to show up face-to-face with God in a place where there is no turning back,
    no chance of redemption once we leave this life. The seriousness of our actions
    is made quite clear by how God deals with us even in this temporary world, it is
    not fun and games where we party all day long who car ...[text shortened]... Him, we are
    simply doing what want, and without the life that only God gives, there is only
    death.
    Verse 63.....it will PLEASE the Lord to ruin and destroy you.

Really?
    You believe that?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 05:58
    @chaney3 said

Really?
    You believe that?
    Kellyjay is a contemporary Christian zealot who has accepted and internalised every horrendous brutality of the bible as being his version of God’s totally righteousnesses, just like the Islamic fundamentalists accept the brutalities of the Quran.

It’s what he’s been taught to do, it’s what I was taught to do, it’s what every fundamentalist evangelical person is taught to do… accept it as truth no matter what.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 08:34
    @chaney3 said

Really?
    You believe that?
    Deuteronomy 28:
    3 And as the Lord took delight in doing you good and multiplying you, so the Lord will take delight in bringing ruin upon you and destroying you. And you shall be plucked off the land that you are entering to take possession of it.

Yes, God takes delight in doing good and multiplying us, when we are doing good
    that is what He wants to do, and if we refuse to do good, the same fervor will be
    applied, because He is good and righteous. These are still due to our choices, we
    can walk in righteousness or not, we can come to God for the forgiveness of our
    sins or not, God is always righteous, which is why good is always rewarded and
    the evil we do is always condemned, He is also always love, which is why He made
    away we could be redeemed righteously, through Christ, He made a way for our
    salvation even while we were yet sinners

Romans 5:7-9
    English Standard Version
    For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 18:37
    All these attempts to salvage such brutal passages.

So much easier to throw them away.

Cherry picking is your friend.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 19:13
    @bigdogg said
    All these attempts to salvage such brutal passages.

So much easier to throw them away.

Cherry picking is your friend.
    Cherry picking only does one thing turn the Word of God into your words.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 19:16
    @kellyjay said
    KellyJay, Deuteronomy 28:15-68 are NOT the words of God.

How can you think it is?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 19:371 edit
    @chaney3 said
    KellyJay, Deuteronomy 28:15-68 are NOT the words of God.

How can you think it is?
    Really, Deuteronomy isn't the Word of God? If I'm not mistaken Deuteronomy was
    the most quoted book by Jesus.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 19:39
    @kellyjay said
    I'm not rewriting them, so no, it doesn't, but that point isn't relevant to me.

I look for things I can actually use. Something that's helpful.

This passage in Deuteronomy is not. It's ugly and brutal. Throw it away! It doesn't matter who wrote it; it's a lousy piece of writing.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 20:21
    @bigdogg said
    I'm not rewriting them, so no, it doesn't, but that point isn't relevant to me.

I look for things I can actually use. Something that's helpful.

This passage in Deuteronomy is not. It's ugly and brutal. Throw it away! It doesn't matter who wrote it; it's a lousy piece of writing.
    What you view as relevant isn't at play with scripture it is the revealed Word, you
    liking it or disliking it is meaningless. The whole thing is either the Word of God or
    not, if not the whole should be cast out, if it is, the entire thing needs to be
    acknowledged like it or not.

Picking out the pieces you like and dislike would be no different than looking at a
    complex scientific theory and ignoring all of the evidential bits of evidence that
    disproves the theory so you oppose them even if they are valid, but the only way
    to truth is to accept all the points, those we like and dislike.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 21:36
    @kellyjay said
    Really, Deuteronomy isn't the Word of God? If I'm not mistaken Deuteronomy was
    the most quoted book by Jesus.
    "It will PLEASE Jesus to ruin and destroy you"

That's another way to look at verse 63.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree