1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 04:55
    Being around so many strangers ~ which is what living in a society [as opposed to a community] entails ~ is arguably unnatural and so it requires much cutural infrastructure to make it stable.

What exactly might this cultural infrastructure consist of?

Shared faith and religious belief is obviously one example. But the cohesion this may have provided is seen by many as weakening.

So, what else?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 04:59
    @fmf said
    Being around so many strangers is arguably unnatural
    By which I mean it is more "natural", perhaps, to be in a more familiar interpersonal habitat, i.e. to be around family, friends, colleagues and others who have some degree of personal knowledge about you, just as you have personal knowledge about them.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 05:07
    @FMF

Typically a shared language, though there are exceptions (such as Switzerland, which has four recognized national languages).

Shared access to the levers of power.

Shared access to the fruits of prosperity.

Where an elite restricts people from speaking a language of their choosing, restricts access to the levers of power and the fruits of prosperity, no doubt in the name of preserving something dear, the ‘culture’ ostensibly to be protected thereby has made of itself a tarnished idol.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 05:21
    @moonbus
    Ethnic homogeneity, too. Centralized, nationalistic control of education and a society's historical narrative. Strict moralistic laws assiduously enforced. The identification and demonisation of shared enemies and threats.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 05:28
    @moonbus

Regardless of your own beliefs, do you perceive this as a problem...

Shared faith and religious belief is obviously one example. But the cohesion this may have provided is seen by many as weakening.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 05:32
    Where I live, I would imagine that I am safer - and life/society around me is more stable - because the vast majority of strangers I mingle with and encounter are Muslims.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 11:131 edit
    @fmf said
    @moonbus

Regardless of your own beliefs, do you perceive this as a problem...

Shared values are undoubtedly important to social cohesion. But a too rigid adherence to them, and a refusal to accept alternatives, ultimately leads to stagnation and inability to respond to change, both from within the social structure itself and from outside pressures. Shared values have traditionally been expressed in religious terms, but need not be; they could also be secular.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Sep '22 18:462 edits
    @fmf said
    Being around so many strangers ~ which is what living in a society [as opposed to a community] entails ~ is arguably unnatural and so it requires much cutural infrastructure to make it stable.

What exactly might this cultural infrastructure consist of?

So, what else?

I think one can create their own cultural infrastructure simply by participating with smaller groups of people who have common interests. i.e. The local chess club, one's business network, a group of runners, etc. as time passes and these relationships endure ones cultural infrastructure will strengthen. It all starts with getting (and staying) involved.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '22 09:15
    @mchill said
    I think one can create their own cultural infrastructure simply by participating with smaller groups of people who have common interests. i.e. The local chess club, one's business network, a group of runners, etc. as time passes and these relationships endure ones cultural infrastructure will strengthen. It all starts with getting (and staying) involved.
    I can't disagree with what you say here. However, it is explicitly NOT what this OP is asking about. "The local chess club, one's business network, a group of runners etc." are, by their very nature, NOT examples of the "strangers" mentioned in the OP. The OP question is talking about adhesion/cohesion on a greater scale... like whole-society, whole-nation, or whole-culture scale ~ and NOT our personal coping strategies or ways to turn strangers into non-strangers,
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Sep '22 22:572 edits
    @fmf said
    I can't disagree with what you say here. However, it is explicitly NOT what this OP is asking about. "The local chess club, one's business network, a group of runners etc." are, by their very nature, NOT examples of the "strangers" mentioned in the OP. The OP question is talking about adhesion/cohesion on a greater scale... like whole-society, whole-nation, or whole-culture scale ~ and NOT our personal coping strategies or ways to turn strangers into non-strangers,
    The OP question is talking about adhesion/cohesion on a greater scale... like whole-society, whole-nation, or whole-culture scale.

JMHO - Creating cultural infrastructure on such a large scale would be very difficult, it generally requires personal interactions. Unless we create some kind of universal mental collective, such as the Borg on Star Trek, I just don't see this happening.

Though I wouldn't mind some "adhesion/cohesion" with 7 of 9! 😍
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '22 02:30
    @mchill said
    JMHO - Creating cultural infrastructure on such a large scale would be very difficult, it generally requires personal interactions. Unless we create some kind of universal mental collective, such as the Borg on Star Trek, I just don't see this happening.
    OK, thanks.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '22 04:42
    @mchill said
    Unless we create some kind of universal mental collective, such as the Borg on Star Trek, I just don't see this happening.
    Something like state religion? Theocracy with strict enforcement? Islam, Christianity or Hinduism, for example. Devout religious observance and faith-based laws and punishments = to create benchmark-based values to create a kind of "universal mental collective"? I see there are elected officials in the U.S. who are openly discussing this now.
  13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Sep '22 09:07
    @fmf said
    Something like state religion? Theocracy with strict enforcement? Islam, Christianity or Hinduism, for example. Devout religious observance and faith-based laws and punishments = to create benchmark-based values to create a kind of "universal mental collective"? I see there are elected officials in the U.S. who are openly discussing this now.
    I see there are elected officials in the U.S. who are openly discussing this now.

They can discuss this all they want, but it's not going to work. Dictators have been trying (and failing) to force people what to think for centuries. Progress in the areas of healthcare, mathematics, science, business, and many other fields have only been possible when free thinkers are allowed to pursue their dreams - no matter how silly they seem at the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree